rare record sets

just a quick question to mutch time on my hand s weve all heard rare soul sets but can anybody do a spot made up of records required that day from charity shops singles or lps nothing special just a good dancable soul set

Social source share

i volanter for a local charity picked several lps and singles out of our bin could do a decent 1hour spot herd worse but must admit not every week or every month just thought i ask a stupid question 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Bleep said:

i volanter for a local charity picked several lps and singles out of our bin

There in a nutshell is why it would be a short set, when charity shops first became a thing you could often pick up decent music and the odd rarer British release. These days there are  people like yourself in the know actually volunteering and hoovering up stuff before it hits the bins. I know one personally and of two others. I've no problem with that perk as long as a fair price is paid .

The last vinyl I bought from a charity shop was about six months ago, right place right time, a shop that sells everything with the mindset of a quick turnover rather than a high price tag hanging around for weeks though this will change with an imminent move to larger premises planned soon. A box had just come in, I fished out Ronnie Milsap on Us Wand, Aint No Soul, a red Champion pressing of Tainted love, Ramsey's Wade in the Water, Ike and Tina We Need an Understanding, about a dozen ,can't remember the others. Nothing too exciting but a few upgrades to my existing copies and the others to give to mates who still have small collections but have sold the majority. At 10p a throw it made a nice change plus being regulars and knowing the staff I did point out they were selling them too cheap, albeit too late as the woman  hovering behind me heard the price and when I'd done she bought a stack of them. Before you ask, yes I did give them more than the 10p asked, as Jackie Lee sings, "Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide".    

My aforementioned mate on the other hand working in the shops, well over the many years he has volunteered if he had not sold on the majority of his finds he could have played a very decent set. One tip I learnt from him which came up trumps many times ,always ask if they have any vinyl in the back, you might just get lucky.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

sorry about delay ive never found a thing worth picking up just a thought about the what we call cheap run of the mill soul record ie c m move on up every one knowebut dont listen remember hereing harvest for the world at bradford nighter thinking what are they playing this after a few secs its a good little dancer thats the thing i ment 

Social source share

8 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

" oh Derek liked Northern Soul & Reggae" my response was "Oh really " & she answered " Yes , he asked us to drop

I had a similar conversation with my new neighbour about a year ago, they moved in at winter time, come summer I was playing some vinyl outside. My neighbour popped her head over the fence saying "I didn't know you were into this stuff, my dad died recently I gave all his albums away, if I'd known you could have had them". Story of my life.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!