Golden World: Locals & Outsiders Involved

3 hours ago, The Yank said:

From Record World (Feb. 16, 1965) - 

AW !.jpg

AW 2.jpg

"Baby Boy" was written by Wingate/Golden World Records' Myto Music writers, The Hamilton Brothers, specifically for Golden World's Juanita Williams' Golden World release, but, yes, I suppose Janeen Henry's version was recorded in Detroit, given that ex-Motown arranger, Dale Warren (Raynoma Gordy's cousin) was still residing in Detroit then and arranging records there for several Detroit labels.  So, I'm also guessing that like Jimmy Holland, she was one of Andre Williams' Detroit artist signings to Mercury, rather than one of his Chicago artist signings.

Thanks for the Andre Williams article, Yank.  I knew I had read one years ago in either Billboard or Record World (or both). 

I want to check also when Mercury signed their deal with Robert Bateman in their articles about him in those 2 trades.  I know I read at least one, if not in both.  I remember his photograph and the fluff about him being an ex-Motowner.  So, I googled both "Billboard article and Record World article about Robert Bateman being hired/or contracted by Mercury Records",  and came up with nothing.  Having been a child of the 1940s and '50s, I'm TERRIBLE at the "new" technology, like computers, smartphones, and The Internet.  I don't know how to do a proper Internet search.  

You seem to be an expert on that.  Can you do that search for us?  Then we can find out whether or not Mercury's signing of the 2 producers to their two major regional offices was likely to have been related, to jump on the new successful trends of Detroit and Chicago Soul music.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

"Baby Boy" was written by Wingate/Golden World Records' Myto Music writers, The Hamilton Brothers, specifically for Golden World's Juanita Williams' Golden World release, but, yes, I suppose Janeen Henry's version was recorded in Detroit, given that ex-Motown arranger, Dale Warren (Raynoma Gordy's cousin) was still residing in Detroit then and arranging records there for several Detroit labels.  So, I'm also guessing that like Jimmy Holland, she was one of Andre Williams' Detroit artist signings to Mercury, rather than one of his Chicago artist signings.

Thanks for the Andre Williams article, Yank.  I knew I had read one years ago in either Billboard or Record World (or both). 

I want to check also when Mercury signed their deal with Robert Bateman in their articles about him in those 2 trades.  I know I read at least one, if not in both.  I remember his photograph and the fluff about him being an ex-Motowner.  So, I googled both "Billboard article and Record World article about Robert Bateman being hired/or contracted by Mercury Records",  and came up with nothing.  Having been a child of the 1940s and '50s, I'm TERRIBLE at the "new" technology, like computers, smartphones, and The Internet.  I don't know how to do a proper Internet search.  

You seem to be an expert on that.  Can you do that search for us?  Then we can find out whether or not Mercury's signing of the 2 producers to their two major regional offices was likely to have been related, to jump on the new successful trends of Detroit and Chicago Soul music.

Neli Ruston spoke to Robert and I found this (which may give a clue as to an approx date) 

"Luther Ingram would of course become an icon on the Northern soul club circuit with yet another Wylie penned song that would reach classic status, Luther Ingram — “If It’s All The Same To You Babe b/w Exus Trek” — HIB 698 which saw both the vocal and the instrumental sides grace the turntables. Penned by Popcorn and recorded at Golden World Studios in a moonlighting session by The Funk Brothers, Neil Rushton, after a conversation with Robert Bateman says he (Bateman), took the tapes to Mercury studios in New York and overdubbed strings to create the 'orchestra' feel. Bateman says he sold about 5,000 copies, before achieving a distribution deal from Jerry Wexler at Atlantic Records. He was trying to capture a similar sound to The Four Tops and in doing so, produced a stone classic of the Northern Soul scene with a record that still fills dance-floors even today."

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Neli Ruston spoke to Robert and I found this (which may give a clue as to an approx date) 

"Luther Ingram would of course become an icon on the Northern soul club circuit with yet another Wylie penned song that would reach classic status, Luther Ingram — “If It’s All The Same To You Babe b/w Exus Trek” — HIB 698 which saw both the vocal and the instrumental sides grace the turntables. Penned by Popcorn and recorded at Golden World Studios in a moonlighting session by The Funk Brothers, Neil Rushton, after a conversation with Robert Bateman says he (Bateman), took the tapes to Mercury studios in New York and overdubbed strings to create the 'orchestra' feel. Bateman says he sold about 5,000 copies, before achieving a distribution deal from Jerry Wexler at Atlantic Records. He was trying to capture a similar sound to The Four Tops and in doing so, produced a stone classic of the Northern Soul scene with a record that still fills dance-floors even today."

And Bateman recorded the follow-up using Richard Tee's band for Mercury (Smash) in New York, a few months after.  But, as he took the tapes to Mercury to overdub the strings, he most likely already had his production deal with them, or he'd have overdubbed the strings in Detroit.  So this tells us only THAT, and not when he started with them.  He was an independent producer whose contract with Mercury was NOT likely to have been exclusive.  He'd still have been allowed to work on his own projects in his "off time".  He DID bring Ingram into the Mercury fold with the follow-up, in any case, so Mercury would have been satisfied.  The HIB record was released in 1966.  Andre Williams was signed by Mercury in February, 1965.  We know that Bateman was already working with Mercury in 1966, but not when he started with them.  I still need to find the Billboard or Record World article on his signing.  It WAS on The Internet when I last read it.  But I haven't been able to find it now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Robb, I don't think what you read can have been in Billboard. All I could find relating to Robert Bateman in Billboard (apart from credits for 45 releases he gets noted on) were these ... 

An early Mercury related 45 that Bateman / Moseley were responsible for was the November 65 release on Phillips -- The La Vettes – Practice What You've Been Preachin' (# 40338). He had time at Double-L, Capitol & End before going with Mercury ... at End he also worked with Moseley (at the time Moseley was penning songs in conjunction with Sid Barnes & JJ Jackson) ...  

RobertBateman60's.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Robb, I don't think what you read can have been in Billboard. All I could find relating to Robert Bateman in Billboard (apart from credits for 45 releases he gets noted on) were these ... 

An early Mercury related 45 that Bateman / Moseley were responsible for was the November 65 release on Phillips -- The La Vettes – Practice What You've Been Preachin' (# 40338). He had time at Double-L, Capitol & End before going with Mercury ... at End he also worked with Moseley (at the time Moseley was penning songs in conjunction with Sid Barnes & JJ Jackson) ...  

RobertBateman60's.jpg

The LaVettes release occurred very late 1965; whereas, Andre Williams' stint with Mercury was from February of that year.  This article states that that record was an EARLY Mercury project for Bateman.  So it's not very likely that Bateman was signed to Mercury anytime near February, and most of his Mercury time was in late 1965 and early 1966 (a much shorter run than Williams', and only partly overlapping).  So, it seems likely that the 2 producers didn't come to Mercury as a package, or as part of a single Mercury plan to "modernize" their Soul Music style.  Still, I'd like to find that article I read to find out when Bateman signed with Mercury.  It must have been in Record World.  But, I would SWEAR that I read it in Billboard, and I can see where I was and the logos on The magazine's front page.  I'm SURE I read it in Billboard.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!