Mill Evans / Charly Records

Go to solution Solved by Soulman,

Hi all,

Does anyone have a contact for Charly Records? With the resurrection of the label I'm hoping this isn't another scam as per The Nurons issue on whatever label it was - Brewerytown springs to mind (yeah, I never received neither the issue or demo from them but did get a copy courtesy of Happy Feet on here for which I am eternally grateful). I ordered the Mill Evans quite some time ago but have received nothing. Anyone else had the same issue as I saw people posting on Facebook that their copy had arrived and even seen it on set lists when played out. I haven't checked my Paypal transaction history yet to get the date but I know it's been a while.

Steve

Social source share

That's what I'd seen hence my question.  As stated above by Happy Feet, shipping could be from 6th August. I will wait another week although my initial enquiries to Charly have proved fruitless to date.

Steve

Social source share

1 hour ago, Geeselad said:

Out of interest who owns Charlie, now?

That's kinda the information I was looking for so that I could make direct contact. As an update.... nothing in post this morning again 

Social source share

Didn't Charly do a big promotion at the recent Blackpool weekender ... utilising Levanna, the leader of the Bristol soul crew. Think their new NS 45's were launched at the event. I'm sure the promoters of that event (Richard Searling, etc.) would know who to contact at Charly.  

Social source share

Look at Charly Publishing Limited at Companes House. This ties back to original investor. From there you can view the People tab for the appointed directors.

At their website it says they are Charly Acquisitions Limited, which I tracked to be registered in St Kitts and Nevis through an offshore tracking site.

There isn't a UK company of that name.

At LinkedIn they are listed as registered in Sark at:

https://www.linkedin.com/company/charly-acquisitions-ltd/

Again this shows the original investor to Charly there in the people tab.

Edited by Thinksmart
Social source share

On 08/08/2024 at 15:43, Soulman said:

That's what I'd seen hence my question.  As stated above by Happy Feet, shipping could be from 6th August. I will wait another week although my initial enquiries to Charly have proved fruitless to date.

Steve

sales@charly.co.uk 

52 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Didn't Charly first go 'off-shore' when they were in trouble for releasing Chess tracks (to Holland I seem to recall).

Another scandalous comment from one of life’s great trouble makers! 

1 hour ago, Roburt said:

Didn't Charly do a big promotion at the recent Blackpool weekender ... utilising Levanna, the leader of the Bristol soul crew. Think their new NS 45's were launched at the event. I'm sure the promoters of that event (Richard Searling, etc.) would know who to contact at Charly.  

sales@charly.co.uk

All clear? 

Social source share

On 07/08/2024 at 18:24, Soulman said:

Hi all,

Does anyone have a contact for Charly Records? With the resurrection of the label I'm hoping this isn't another scam as per The Nurons issue on whatever label it was - Brewerytown springs to mind (yeah, I never received neither the issue or demo from them but did get a copy courtesy of Happy Feet on here for which I am eternally grateful). I ordered the Mill Evans quite some time ago but have received nothing. Anyone else had the same issue as I saw people posting on Facebook that their copy had arrived and even seen it on set lists when played out. I haven't checked my Paypal transaction history yet to get the date but I know it's been a while.

Steve

Why haven’t you contacted them direct? Another scam……..that’s pretty nasty aimed at a company trading for half a century.  
sales@charly.co.uk or contact them via the website www.charlydirect.com

Social source share

Many moons ago, Dave was a Charly rep. HE did their NS albums for them. He moved on to a greater love (job wise) but has been 'linked' to Charly's new NS releases ... but  I don't think he has got that much 'hands on' involvement with them.

Social source share

I think It was mentioned in the sales blurb for one of the new releases that he‘s behind them or some of them.

And speaking of Levanna: No idea how much she really was involved in them, but both compilations promoted under her name are excellent. Quality across the board choices. Hope they sell well.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Benji said:

I think It was mentioned in the sales blurb for one of the new releases that he‘s behind them or some of them.

And speaking of Levanna: No idea how much she really was involved in them, but both compilations promoted under her name are excellent. Quality across the board choices. Hope they sell well.

Dave has comped the Lp that features Mill Evans. 

I compiled an Lp with Andy Rix and we were given the list of records they had the rights to licence with no interference, so presume Levanna will be the same.  The one we did never came out in the end. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

I compiled an Lp with Any Rix and we were given the lust of records they had the rights to licence with no interference, so presume Levanna will be the same.  The one we did never came out in the end.

interesting , track, what would have been

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Benji said:

I‘ve read somewhere that Dave Evison is behind some/most/all recent Northern Soul 45s on Charly. Is this correct?

The company select qualified compilers for specific titles. Dave lent his hand to the Mr M’s release.   

11 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Is there any need for comments like that? You sure can be prickly when you want to be Kev.

Peter

😉

With good cause! 

Social source share

On 10/08/2024 at 17:15, Chalky said:

Dave has comped the Lp that features Mill Evans. 

I compiled an Lp with Andy Rix and we were given the list of records they had the rights to licence with no interference, so presume Levanna will be the same.  The one we did never came out in the end. 

I remember you did the rare soul uncovered years ago.. excellent compilation 

Social source share

Had another update ,

Due to unexpectedly high demand , we've temporarily run out of stock for this title .To ensure you receive the best possible product, we are in the process of restocking, but this means that the shipping date for your order has been pushed back to August 14th.

We sincerely apologise for this inconvenience and understand how frustrating delays can be. We're working diligently to get your order out to you as quickly as possible , and we truly appreciate your patience and understanding.

If you have any questions or need further assistance , please don't hesitate to reach out to us .

Thank you for your continued support . We look forward to delivering your vinyl soon!

Kind regards, The Charly Team .

Strange as it may sound , I then had a shipping notice , complete with a Royal Mail tracking number .

So chin up Steve , they look to have it hand , victims of their own success ? 

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Happy Feet said:

Had another update ,

Due to unexpectedly high demand , we've temporarily run out of stock for this title .To ensure you receive the best possible product, we are in the process of restocking, but this means that the shipping date for your order has been pushed back to August 14th.

We sincerely apologise for this inconvenience and understand how frustrating delays can be. We're working diligently to get your order out to you as quickly as possible , and we truly appreciate your patience and understanding.

If you have any questions or need further assistance , please don't hesitate to reach out to us .

Thank you for your continued support . We look forward to delivering your vinyl soon!

Strange as it may sound , I then had a shipping notice , complete with a Royal Mail tracking number .

Cheers Dave,

I wasn't going to post any more on this topic due to the previous unexpected comments made by other participants. I would like to say I didn't actually say it's a Scam, just hoped that it wasn't. I still haven't heard back from my three enquiries and have received no notifications, hence my concerns.

Thanks for your update though. It's much appreciated.

Best

Steve

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Well it arrived today as promised, but not from Charly HQ , but direct I assume from the pressing plant ,Sonic Wax , looks great in it's very colourful picture sleeve and solid center (small hole not large ) Thanks to all involved.

On 12/08/2024 at 21:19, Happy Feet said:

Had another update ,

Further to Dave's update, as yet I have heard nothing (responses to 3 x emails) nor received anything. Admittedly our post is slow being out in the sticks so I'll give it until tomorrow (Saturday) and then follow it up with maybe a Sonic Wax involvement too.

Steve

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve L said:

I bought one from them last week, it came straight away

Thanks for that. I'll request a refund from Charly and order from Juno (or indeed other sites that are showing stock).

Steve

Social source share

On 21/08/2024 at 13:59, Soulman said:

Thanks for that. I'll request a refund from Charly and order from Juno (or indeed other sites that are showing stock).

Steve

Hi Steve

I hope all is well with you my old friend.

Charly need to get their finger out. I hope that they refund you more promptly than they've dealt (or not dealt) with your order.

Sending my very best wishes.

Your friend.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

2 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Steve

I hope all is well with you my old friend.

Charly need to get their finger out. I hope that they refund you more promptly than they've dealt (or not dealt) with your order.

Sending my very best wishes.

Your friend.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I don't buy many records nowadays but I've certainly had my fair share of trouble when I have.

As an update, I had an email yesterday from a chap called Ben saying that they acknowledged my order and will be back in touch. As yet still no further info.

Trust you are well too. Do you ever get back to Mablethorpe?

Best

Steve

Social source share

11 hours ago, Soulman said:

Thanks Peter,

I don't buy many records nowadays but I've certainly had my fair share of trouble when I have.

As an update, I had an email yesterday from a chap called Ben saying that they acknowledged my order and will be back in touch. As yet still no further info.

Trust you are well too. Do you ever get back to Mablethorpe?

Best

Steve

Hi Steve

Things not so bad here thank you. I don't get back to Mablethorpe at all; it feels a bit sad (of me I guess), but I just moved on from there. I last went beck in 2018 I think, I was asked to speak at Dorothy Gray's funeral - the showman family who used to run the amusement fairground there. It was quite daunting but I did it. I'm still in touch with a couple of people from there. 

How about you and Boston? 

Sending you my best.

Peter

Social source share

• Solution

As a final update, Ben at Charly has agreed to send a copy out to me as the original is presumed mislaid. Royal Mail tracking indicates that the package is at the depot their end but there are no further updates.

As always, thanks for everyone's input

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!