What is the best on line music App for rare soul?

Go to solution Solved by vince ayres,

I've just joined spotify and have a amassed a great selection into my liked songs with loads of stuff I've never heard before so in a lot of ways I couldn't be happier. The problem is that there are loads of tunes that I've put into their search engine but could not find which annoyed me and very much surprised me at the time, for example Lou Pride Coming Home (there is a sort of modern day version) but not the original Suemi recording. Larry Wright Sweet Sweet Kisses isn't there also Master 4 Love Has Taken Wings, Henderson & Jones Getcha etc etc. So my question is are there better apps than Spotify? Apologies if in the wrong section.

Social source share

...I find mixcloud great...theres quite a few soul source members stick there mix's up on the soul media section of the forum...its not quite Spotify as you can't pick and choose yr tracks but there put together by folk who know a thing or two and not an algorithm...also for me its a plus because I'm constantly hearing new things...

Social source share

19 minutes ago, vince ayres said:

Yes they're great and I've listened to loads of them but sometimes the quality is not always good.

Depends on what gear you're listening them onto but indeed they are compressed twice (digitally recorded then compressed into the mp3 format then through Mixcloud's own's pre-formatted mastering filters...) I know cause they sounded worse (muffled down mostly) then than my mp3 sounded first in comparison...

To listen to them occasionally on my small blasting like 'digital home cinema like tweeter towers and sub-bass box speakers' on my lap top does sound decent for that purpose. Still not that good. But if one's planning to listen to them on their phono system likely there the playback definition won't hold up to it's promisses.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

45 minutes ago, vince ayres said:

I forgot to mention that I'm looking for the easiest way to play music in a new vehicle that I'm getting that does not have a cd, what do other people use on here?

A USB memory stick or external hard disk ?

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

I bought a CD player to use in my 'newer' car. It also has a DAB radio, so that is tuned into MAGIC SOUL (no rare stuff played or NS though). On the computer I listen to Mixcloud, especially many of the 100's of shows put up there by Richard Searling.

Social source share

12 hours ago, vince ayres said:

I forgot to mention that I'm looking for the easiest way to play music in a new vehicle that I'm getting that does not have a cd, what do other people use on here?

...its in the car where I play the digital stuff...but I just use an aux cable or bluetooth to connect from my phone...I appreciate the compression on internet streaming doesn't make for the best sound quality but our cars rattles enough and its just got bog standard speakers in anyway...so does the job...

Social source share

Think you would need a i phone to access…. best thing to do in my opinion is get your phone (I Phone or other) uploaded with a good selection of mp3 and run via Bluetooth. 

Maybe a silly standpoint, but I don’t want apple or Spotify deciding on what rare soul I listen to, put your own music up there… it’s cheaper for one, and you own it outright, no subscription fees 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

48 minutes ago, vince ayres said:

Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone on here use apple music and is it better with more slections than spotify and do you need an apple account/phone to access tunes?

I use Apple Music all the time , I connect in my car with a usb cable although Bluetooth is another option, my car seems to favour android but I have always preferred apple since I got one for the first time , I can still listen to Spotify and various other music apps if I want to , I sometimes connect audible when in the mood, you would Need iTunes I believe, I know there used to be an android version of iTunes, there are lots of free trails for Apple for first time subscribers, up to 6 months if you have a good look around, hope this helps 👍 also you can make your own playlists so you can listen to what you want to , although all my Apple Music is what w want anyway, there millions of tracks on apple, although they don’t have everything they have most of it

Edited by Gogger
Add more advice
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Think you would need a i phone to access…. best thing to do in my opinion is get your phone (I Phone or other) uploaded with a good selection of mp3 and run via Bluetooth. 

Maybe a silly standpoint, but I don’t want apple or Spotify deciding on what rare soul I listen to, put your own music up there… it’s cheaper for one, and you own it outright, no subscription fees 

I've thusfar managed to download around 800 tunes into my faves on spotify which is great but there are loads more I would like but aren't available, does apple have more decent tunes than spotify?

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Gogger said:

I use Apple Music all the time , I connect in my car with a usb cable although Bluetooth is another option, my car seems to favour android but I have always preferred apple since I got one for the first time , I can still listen to Spotify and various other music apps if I want to , I sometimes connect audible when in the mood, you would Need iTunes I believe, I know there used to be an android version of iTunes, there are lots of free trails for Apple for first time subscribers, up to 6 months if you have a good look around, hope this helps 👍

Thanks that's really helpful, I'll look into it. 👍

Social source share

45 minutes ago, vince ayres said:

I've thusfar managed to download around 800 tunes into my faves on spotify which is great but there are loads more I would like but aren't available, does apple have more decent tunes than spotify?

Apple et al, have access to major label catalogues, in recent times companies like Kent & Numero group have got their catalogues onto these platforms, which has really diversified what you can expect to hear.  That said, there is so much that we listen too, that simply won’t make its self onto streaming services, personally I'd stick with your own library of music, but you may find a mix of the two works for you. Apple are ok, but outside of general compilations, thery are thin on the rare soul side..

Social source share