Anyone remember thisone?

Go to solution Solved by Citizen P,

I am slowly working my way through my collection and I came across this 😁 and wondered if many people remembered it.

It was an EP that came free with Honey magazine - it's floppy plastic and the tracks are all Philly artists - the disc was meant to be played at 33 1/3 rpm but one DJ discovered that if you played Billy Paul let the dollar circulate at 45rpm it was a dancer! 

Dont remember which DJ it was.

I did have a boyfriend who was desperate to have my copy ...but here it is still in my box 😁

Lesley

20240806_162823.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• Solution

Also was issued on vinyl and given away as a bonus with Philadelphia International lps of the time- I got one with Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes - Wake Up Everybody- And saw the reference to the Billy Paul on JM's site... Good Track at any speed.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

And of course Gamble and Huff all over that - the Philly Kings.

There's something quite....................................; about those floppy disks. The original floppy disks.

I hope you're enjoying the site Lesley - you've soon become part of the team.

Interesting stuff from the East Coast.

Peter

😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 06/08/2024 at 16:37, Anothergirlx said:

I am slowly working my way through my collection and I came across this 😁 and wondered if many people remembered it.

It was an EP that came free with Honey magazine - it's floppy plastic and the tracks are all Philly artists - the disc was meant to be played at 33 1/3 rpm but one DJ discovered that if you played Billy Paul let the dollar circulate at 45rpm it was a dancer! 

Dont remember which DJ it was.

I did have a boyfriend who was desperate to have my copy ...but here it is still in my box 😁

Lesley

20240806_162823.jpg

Pretty sure it was John manship played it at 45

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Leslie

I Think it was John Manship i first heard play it at the Cleethorpes Pier , of course back then We didn't have Pitch control  so was either one or the other, now of course we are able to Tweak records fast or slow without making them sound like Pinky And Perky or Lee Marvin 😄

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hey Rick 

How's it going with you? 

I'll bow to your superior knowledge 😁 I wouldn't know but you and @Zoomsoulblue have both called  it as being  John Manship 🙌

I wonder how many dj's players it at the right (wrong speed)! 

BTW. I'm still hunting the pics out, I've found a few, will post when I get a break from kids /summer holidays 

Have a good weekendl

Lesley

Social source share

The Story goes his better 1/2 played it at the wrong speed and he over heard it being played and his ears pricked up and the rest was history, he had it covered up but for the love of me can't remember as who by or what ?, keep thinking Esther Phillips for some reason....  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

The level of efforts to disguise stuff - they should be working for MI6😁 

I was too busy dancing to get into the politics of it all, it was top tier deviousness for sure. 

I bet someone on here will know, there's a treasury of knowledge on this site 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Rick Scott said:

The Story goes his better 1/2 played it at the wrong speed and he over heard it being played and his ears pricked up and the rest was history, he had it covered up but for the love of me can't remember as who by or what ?, keep thinking Esther Phillips for some reason....  

Hi Rick , it could only be Esther Philps or Pinky & Perky , vocally sounds bloody awful sped up , but a decent backing track .( I meant to say or Esther Philips on a bad day )

Edited by Happy Feet
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 23/08/2024 at 14:46, Happy Feet said:

Hi Rick , it could only be Esther Philps or Pinky & Perky , vocally sounds bloody awful sped up , but a decent backing track .( I meant to say or Esther Philips on a bad day )

Yep! can't fault you on that one HF, I seem to remember as did it myself on the old  double BSR turntables if you tweaked about with the speed select button in-between 33 and 45 rpm you could actually maintain a reasonable speed if that makes sense 🤫 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

Yep! can't fault you on that one HF, I seem to remember as did it myself on the old  double BSR turntables if you tweaked about with the speed select button in-between 33 and 45 rpm you could actually maintain a reasonable speed if that makes sense 🤫 

Hi Rick

I hope you're well my friend.

We could all maintain a reasonable speed back in the day, and the speed was reasonable too.

🤫

😉

Peter

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Peter99 said:

We could all maintain a reasonable speed back in the day, and the speed was reasonable too.

Yea not too bad Peter Thank You.

Only speed i did was on my SX200 (within The Law Of Course) Didn't Drink or Smoke (still Don't)

Couldn't afford it even if i wanted to any way as Spent all my hard earned cash on Vinyl 😄 As You Do Ha Ha🤣

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!