Styrene cleaning

Go to solution Solved by Frankie Crocker,

I am currently cleaning all the records that I have collected over a 50 year period and its going well. I am putting the styrene records to one side because I don't know which method is best to clean them.

Is any one method better than others and is there a commercially available product that I should be buying?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Social source share

• Solution
58 minutes ago, Kindred Mole said:

I am currently cleaning all the records that I have collected over a 50 year period and its going well. I am putting the styrene records to one side because I don't know which method is best to clean them.

Is any one method better than others and is there a commercially available product that I should be buying?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Mr Sheen spray is good for cleaning styrene records - use a soft record cleaning cloth.

Whatever you do, never put lighter fluid on styrene as removes the gloss and discolours it

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 04/08/2024 at 18:03, Frankie Crocker said:

Mr Sheen spray is good for cleaning styrene records - use a soft record cleaning cloth.

Whatever you do, never put lighter fluid on styrene as removes the gloss and discolours it

Doesn't wax or silicone bread cleaners like Mr sheen leave a waxy coating? I've read this method is best avoided. 

Social source share

12 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Doesn't wax or silicone bread cleaners like Mr sheen leave a waxy coating? I've read this method is best avoided. 

Not if the residue is removed by a soft cloth! Never read anything on the topic - information came from discussions with record collectors. I’ve heard that Mr Sheen residue on rough records deadens the snap, crackle and pop. Any residue in the grooves is soon removed by the stylus in a spin or two - this eliminates the very fine dust that accumulates on mint store-stock. I’ve cleaned over 10,000 records with Mr Sheen without any problems.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Quinvy said:

I can’t believe the **** that people write about cleaning records.

I’ve even fallen for some of it, and actually tried some of these ludicrous methods myself.

Neadless to say, I’ve never repeated it.

Hot water, fairy liquid and Plenty kitchen towel.

That’s it.

Ditto ! Every time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I can't believe the *** that people write about cleaing records either 😉

Ordinary kitchen towels, e.g. cotton, can leave fibre residue in the grooves. Hot water can harm your vinyl. Use microfibre towels and warm water instead.

I get pretty good results in cleaning vinyl and styrene from using a hand-operated record washing machine like Pro-Ject Spin. But setting it up makes sense only when you got more than a handful of records to clean.

You can easily mix the cleaning fluid that comes with these machines yourself. 70% distilled water, 30% pure isopropanol and 2-3 drops of dishwashing liquid. Pour a bit on your record, spread it evenly. Clean the record using a microfibre towel. put the record aside for a couple of minutes to let the cleaning fluid evaporate. Done.

Social source share

35 minutes ago, Benji said:

I can't believe the *** that people write about cleaing records either 😉

Ordinary kitchen towels, e.g. cotton, can leave fibre residue in the grooves. Hot water can harm your vinyl. Use microfibre towels and warm water instead.

I get pretty good results in cleaning vinyl and styrene from using a hand-operated record washing machine like Pro-Ject Spin. But setting it up makes sense only when you got more than a handful of records to clean.

You can easily mix the cleaning fluid that comes with these machines yourself. 70% distilled water, 30% pure isopropanol and 2-3 drops of dishwashing liquid. Pour a bit on your record, spread it evenly. Clean the record using a microfibre towel. put the record aside for a couple of minutes to let the cleaning fluid evaporate. Done.

How can hot water harm your vinyl? Hot water removes far more than cold water, and dries quicker.

Never mentioned using cotton towels, I specified Plenty paper towel, which is superb for the job. And dries the record thoroughly.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Quinvy said:

How can hot water harm your vinyl? Hot water removes far more than cold water, and dries quicker.

Never mentioned using cotton towels, I specified Plenty paper towel, which is superb for the job. And dries the record thoroughly.

Water, regardless of temperature, could damage paper labels on styrene records. I would have thought paper towels would be rather scratchy - a special record cleaning cloth might be better for cleaning those Shrine issues.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Water, regardless of temperature, could damage paper labels on styrene records. I would have thought paper towels would be rather scratchy - a special record cleaning cloth might be better for cleaning those Shrine issues.

I wasn’t talking about washing the labels mate, and the kitchen towel is used to dry the disc, not polish it.

I may just make a YouTube video on the subject.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!