Flirtations - Nothing but a heartache

Big piece in this month's Uncut magazine about the making of Nothing but a heartache and says Wigan floorfiller - is that right, was it a floorfiller at Wigan? Or just a generalisation of Flirtations tunes overall being played at the time which led to them appearing at Wigan etc

Would have thought NBAH too slow / Swinging Sixties for the main room - maybe M's?

Social source share

Don’t recall it being spun when there in the early years. Got to doubt the assertion. Now ‘Stronger Than Her Love’ was absolutely massive - could this be song that should have been referred to? ‘Nothing But A Heartache’ is more of a Stafford era tune being mid tempo. You’re absolutely right to flag this up as so much twaddle is peddled in the media by wannabe journo’s…

Social source share

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Don’t recall it being spun when there in the early years. Got to doubt the assertion. Now ‘Stronger Than Her Love’ was absolutely massive - could this be song that should have been referred to? ‘Nothing But A Heartache’ is more of a Stafford era tune being mid tempo. You’re absolutely right to flag this up as so much twaddle is peddled in the media by wannabe journo’s…

Plenty of records of a similar ilk and tempo at Wigan, it was an oldie by the mid 80s and cheap one at that.

Social source share

Just seemed a bit revisionist / wide of the mark to me - article says ‘When Northern Soul DJ’s discovered the song in the 1970’s, it kept the group in business’, but I couldn’t imagine it was a style of tune that would have been played at the time. Mind you it also quotes the producer saying ‘Tony Blackburn told me it was a big Northern Soul record’, so big pinch of salt there as well I guess 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I remember it being massive at Britpop clubs like Happiness Stans in London mid 1990s along with Beggin by Timebox.I had never heard those records played at a Northern Soul venue before hearing it at those style of clubs. I have never seen it on any Wigan playlists either.....now Stronger Than Her Love/Little Darling yes.

Edited by Wiggyflat
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Chalky said:

The only time I remember hearing nit is when The Flirtations sang it live...maybe at some oldies night somewhere but never at a niter

I remember seeing them at an allnighter at Notts Palais around late 80's. They had replacement members i think, they were very average and we couldn't wait to get back to the DJ.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Alan T said:

I remember seeing them at an allnighter at Notts Palais around late 80's. They had replacement members i think, they were very average and we couldn't wait to get back to the DJ.

Last time I saw them was in Camden I think, Kents 25th anniversary?  they weren't too bad all told.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!