Rare Singles novel

6 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Definitely a thread worth starting… The Daily Telegraph review was generally positive but The Sunday Times Culture review less so as evidenced below. I will pick the book up and thumb through the pages but I doubt there’ll be any Northern Soul. Looks like an author cashing in on the name without doing proper research…we’ll see.

IMG_0227.jpeg

Thanks, I'll wait & see 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Definitely a thread worth starting… The Daily Telegraph review was generally positive but The Sunday Times Culture review less so as evidenced below. I will pick the book up and thumb through the pages but I doubt there’ll be any Northern Soul. Looks like an author cashing in on the name without doing proper research…we’ll see.

IMG_0227.jpeg

...hmm surprised by the review first sentence as its his way with words / language that he (Myers) normally excels at...

but I agree, its prob worth a recommendations thread on writing (fiction) that captures the feeling / energy of a scene... apologies if there is a thread on this already, - Ive not checked

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/07/2024 at 02:35, Frankie Crocker said:

IMG_0227.jpeg

Today's Times features a review of Benjamin Myers' new novel, Rare Singles, set against Scarborough's Northern Soul scene. The story follows a woman in her 50s, trapped in a stifling marriage and dull job, who escapes to weekend Soul events. Her quest takes her to America to convince her Soul hero, Earlon "Bucky" Bronco, to perform in England. Writing essay assignments can be a major challenge for students these days. To help with this, I'd like to share my own experience. Whenever I receive essay assignments from my mentor, I turn to https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/novel this website. This site offers free essay samples, allowing me to complete my assignments without having to pay someone else.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by GlenMann
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

I'm 100 pages in, and it's terrible. I can't believe the writer lives in the Calder Valley. He has no idea about the scene, his description of Scarborough is just cliche driven and he goes far too deep into Bucky Broncos many ailments. 

The titles of Bucky's recordings are laughable. The only saving grace is that someone bought the book for me. 

I have no doubt that Benjamin Myers is a talented author, but this book is a poor attempt of describing our scene to a younger generation. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!