Guy’s Monsters 87 Tape

Go to solution Solved by Chalky,

Tell you what stuff like vito & salutations best be going,neptunes broken hearts,all that early to mid 80’s stuff still sounds great,and really cheap to buy now cos it’s not in fashion! Loads of gems from that period!

cracking tape that chalky,nice one

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Chuck Carter, sure it’s been discussed before. I first heard this on a Soul Supply CD in the 9ts, was it an acetate spin back when guy was playing it? 

Acetate or for the common people a Kent previously unreleased from the Brunswick vaults material. Utter class in comparison with it's sole 45 'I can't help myself'. Which even without comparison is of no real musical interest IMHO.

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Acetate or for the common people a Kent previously unreleased from the Brunswick vaults material. Utter class in comparison with it's sole 45 'I can't help myself'. Which even without comparison is of no real musical interest IMHO.

Think it was found originally by Charly not Kent?  Could be wrong?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Think it was found originally by Charly not Kent?  Could be wrong?

Kent comp 'Sophisticated Sounds - Soul For The Connoisseur' was released in 1988.

What Charly comp would release such a sweet soul thing ? Or an early Soul Supply CD.

Social source share

Just checked, The SoulSupply CD was 'Across The Board' which came out in 98... I had the Kent comp 'Sophisticated Sounds' but I dont remember it from that release... he ho, great track all the same... 

Maybe a bit harsh on 'I Can't Help Myself' it's not got the finess I grant you, but it's a good pounder.  The flip is especially good 'Pretty Little Brown Skin Girl'.

I'm assuming Marjorie Black, is actually 'Ernestine Eady - The Change'?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Just checked, The SoulSupply CD was 'Across The Board' which came out in 98... I had the Kent comp 'Sophisticated Sounds' but I dont remember it from that release... he ho, great track all the same... 

Maybe a bit harsh on 'I Can't Help Myself' it's not got the finess I grant you, but it's a good pounder.  The flip is especially good 'Pretty Little Brown Skin Girl'.

Yes totally forgot (had to look it up !) that it was featured on that nice 'Across The Board' CD. That oddly mixes cross-over & modern soul sounds in coherence finishing with an odd uneven NS selection. Remembering I could only play it up to Otis Clay 'You Hurt Me For The Last Time' where after that point I had to cut it off. And I do love my NS sounds but not dished like that. Where on the Kent comp Chuck Carter's flows and stands out amongst all the other gems.

Harsh me ? Mmh very partial maybe 😉  Got my Chuck Carter Brunswick 45 as NOS from the "USA Imports" stocks with hundreds of other goodies before I got the Kent comp. As a late teen (16 to 18 years old) got to love those wonderful soul productions Brunswick dished out and this one like the odd Tracie Robbins proved to be instant disappointment. Got the Kent comp. and loved Harboro Horace's word on it. Agreeing I only kept Chuck Carter's best on the Kent comp.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Kent comp 'Sophisticated Sounds - Soul For The Connoisseur' was released in 1988.

What Charly comp would release such a sweet soul thing ? Or an early Soul Supply CD.

Yes but it was played before 1988. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Yes as I replied to Mal C on acetate or carver. More power to that !

Just done some diggin', unissued Brunswick found by Ady same time as the unissued Scepter Wand & Musicor tracks, Torture etc.  Ady got it cut for Guy.  I had Charly in me head as Guy had some stuff from the around the same time if memory serves.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, Mal C said:

No Malc - Marjorie Black is 'Anna King-The Big Change-Ludix'

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

I remember Guy playing it on the Janice Long show ,and eventually released on the Kent “ Sophisticated Sounds “ LP as mentioned before .

IMG_4621.jpeg

Yes I remember the Janice Long show too Eddie

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 17/07/2024 at 19:05, Chalky said:

Just done some diggin', unissued Brunswick found by Ady same time as the unissued Scepter Wand & Musicor tracks, Torture etc.  Ady got it cut for Guy.  I had Charly in me head as Guy had some stuff from the around the same time if memory serves.

Maybe you’re thinking of Roscoe Shelton - You’re the dream ,Chalky ? 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Maybe you’re thinking of Roscoe Shelton - You’re the dream ,Chalky ? 

Got it in me head they were around the same time and same source. Have all the notes at home so not sure why 😂 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I know the following tracks were credited to the real artists:

Reubel Bell, D‘Italians, Master Four, Embers, Sisters Three, Hal Hardy, Charmers, Inverts, Vito & Salutations, Bill Horton, Jackie Day, Eddie Holman, Chuck Carter, Jimmy Richards, Roscoe Shelton, Little Ann, Brooks Bros, Bobby Adams.

And these are the cover ups I recalled:

Phrenetics - uncredited acetate

Tina Britt - Bunny Shivel on Capitol

Fantastic Four - unissued Temptations

Patty J - Paulette on Contact

Can somebody help me with the others?

Social source share

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Benji said:

I know the following tracks were credited to the real artists:

Reubel Bell, D‘Italians, Master Four, Embers, Sisters Three, Hal Hardy, Charmers, Inverts, Vito & Salutations, Bill Horton, Jackie Day, Eddie Holman, Chuck Carter, Jimmy Richards, Roscoe Shelton, Little Ann, Brooks Bros, Bobby Adams.

And these are the cover ups I recalled:

Phrenetics - uncredited acetate

Tina Britt - Bunny Shivel on Capitol

Fantastic Four - unissued Temptations

Patty J - Paulette on Contact

Can somebody help me with the others?

Imperial Wonders - Blenders on Le Sage

Little Cubie - Derc Herzog - Church Going Girl

Geraldine Jones - Margie Hendrix- One Room Paradise

Ray Agee - Benny C. Oliver-Make It Now

Gwen Owens - Jean Carter on Sunflower

Taylor Brooks - Barons on Etah 

Denita James - Susan Rewis

Milestones - Billy Hines

Jimmy Peaches Johnson - James Kelly Duhon- In School

Mickie Champion - Mary Ann Miles - Without Someone To Love

Daniel Day - Sonny Childe

Thelma Laverne - Lonnet - Blue Jeans

Soundmasters - Rhythm Rascals

Jesse Herring - Tommy Collins

Marjorie Black - Anna King on Ludix 

Edited by Tony Turner
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

I saw Guy djing in Leeds a few years ago at Rich Buckleys night

his set was fantastic, full of  fantastic under the radar tunes 

he has his own way of doing it and his great taste in music  is what comes over 

he just does his own thing doesn't he.

is he still out and about playing records?

He had not changed a bit since the 80s whatsoever 

great obscure  things being played by someone with great taste 

Edited by Gaz T
Social source share

On 19/07/2024 at 11:38, daveh said:

The Benny C. Oliver- Make It Now c/u as Ray Agee. Is that the same song/version as Benny Curtis- Make It Now on Bridges?

Thanks

Nope…same song and artist,but different versions…Benny C being the Ray Agee c/u 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Edwin S Wales said:

Nope…same song and artist,but different versions…Benny C being the Ray Agee c/u 👍

Sorry, yes I missed the “version” part of the question. The Benny Curtis version is an earlier cut of the same song.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Basically this tape, along with a few others became a blueprint for my collecting passion. Not just the specific records but it showed l there was a whole world of music, beyond the bog standard oldies , that deserves exploring. 

Social source share

On 20/07/2024 at 21:56, Gaz T said:

for example 

he dropped this in his set at Leeds 

I had no idea what it was but it  sounded so good loud 

Never heard anything about this record since 

I did  obviously secure my copy and have enjoyed listening to it 

but this is why  I went out in the 80s and 90s 

to hear people with great taste  play great records that I didn’t know 

fair play to Guy

he hasn’t changed one bit 

maybe the appetite on the soul scene for new things generally has changed? 

let’s be honest 

if he had played this record at Stafford it would be  fetching hundreds of pounds by now and it would be a tune that everyone would know 

Great, but another I can't find for sale in the UK 😩

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!