WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST 'MODERN' NIGHTER SOUNDS?

Obviously I can't check the CU's but some great soul music there, and perfect for Sunday afternoons, however hope I never heard any at an all-nighter, they'd just kill any energy in the room for me. I love some 70's and 80's sounds but the tempo and production that's reflected in some DJs taste is a real turn off, where's the cajones?

Edited by Geeselad
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On 05/07/2024 at 21:42, Mal C said:

You should really do a top 500 on this, but here are some Biggies that you all know 🙂 I expect allot of these are Mecca and Morcombe Pier spins, so folks like Shaun Gibbons, Carl Fortnum etc etc

Curtis Anderson - The Hardest Part - Not first but Keb was spinning this 2003/4

Klas - Let’s Make Love Tonight

LaRom Baker - You're the Best - Arthur Fenn

Millie Jackson - You Can't Stand The Thought Of Another Man Loving Me - LP originally, but picked up by the 100 club crew for sure in the 9ts..

Pages - Heartaches & Pain

Betty Wright - Open The Door To Your Heart - Played by Sam

Judy Freeman & Blackrock - Hold On - Richard Searling, I think

Masterpiece - Love Affair

Mighty Pope - If You Want A Love Affair - Butch

Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good - loads played this, but I rememeber Richard Searlings name being attached to it.

Bobby Sheen - Something New To Do - Dave Thorley

Lifestyle - Katrina

Tony Troutman - Whats the Use

Tony Drake - Suddenly

24 Karat Gold - What Does The Future Hold

Lee McDonald - I'll do Anything For You

Stevens & Foster - I Want To Be Love

Mixed Emotions - Gold of My Life

Eric Lomax - Seven the Loser

The Oggletree Brothers - Gonna Keep a check on yo

Natural High - You Make Me So Very Happy

Odessey - Battened Ships

Jan Jones - Independent Woman - discovered/played by Ian Clark

Four Below Zero - My Baby's Got E.S.P

Fantastic Johnny C - Dont Depend on Me

Norma Jean - I've Taken Over

The Ad Libs - I Dont Need No Fortuneteller

and these are all bubbling under tunes... the list goes on...

Ecstasy, Passion and Pain - Ask Me

Joshie Jo Armstead - I Got The Vibes

The Modulations - Your Love has me Locked up

Greg Perry - Come on Down

Nolan Porter - Ohh Baby

Don’t recall Ian either finding or playing Jan Jones first. It was a Dave Raistrick find who sold it to Arthur Fenn who sold it to Sam. Ian found a batch early 83 which was months after it was first played. I spoke to him about it at the time.  The 2nd copy went to me then Ian got a copy. 

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

For me sinse i played out the Bobby Mandolph C/U its become a sort after record plus its still a C/U to this day 

Hard 1 to aquire 

There is only a select  few DJ's have got it  & only played at a few select  under the radar allnighters & soul events 

I had my fun playing it out moved my 2 copies on now

Edited by Kev John
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Obviously I can't check the CU's but some great soul music there, and perfect for Sunday afternoons, however hope I never heard any at an all-nighter, they'd just kill any energy in the room for me. I love some 70's and 80's sounds but the tempo and production that's reflected in some DJs taste is a real turn off, where's the cajones?

Was gonna reply to this but can’t be bothered now. Moderator  - Can i delete my post or does it have to stay here regardless? Thanks.

Edited by Corbett80
Social source share

4 hours ago, Corbett80 said:

Was gonna reply to this but can’t be bothered now. Moderator  - Can i delete my post or does it have to stay here regardless? Thanks.

Nothing to delete fella , it's a list of great tunes that have had me bounding for that hallowed basement floor on a regular basis.

Darrow Fletcher is one of the greatest finds of the recent era in my humble opinion.

No point trying to converse with such negativity mate.

Edited by Woodbutcher
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Steve M said:

Don’t recall Ian either finding or playing Jan Jones first. It was a Dave Raistrick find who sold it to Arthur Fenn who sold it to Sam. Ian found a batch early 83 which was months after it was first played. I spoke to him about it at the time.  The 2nd copy went to me then Ian got a copy. 

I'm sure Clarkie when he found a batch at the time , said he had made contact with Jan Jones and she was supplying him with copies , I know they where very reasonably priced he had that many copies , he currently has a black & white promotion photo of Jan Jones for auction on eBay if anybody wants one .

Edited by Happy Feet
Social source share

5 hours ago, Corbett80 said:

I'd say leave it as is

am sure others like myself found it interesting and appreciated your effort

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Tagtag said:

"International IV - Equal Love" on DIANE , monster tune for Colin Law 

Great, thanks for posting.

Carl

It's easy enough to find , I just wasn't pandering to another too lazy to look for themselves.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

It's easy enough to find , I just wasn't pandering to another too lazy to look for themselves.

come on

negative takes just encourage more negative posts

reads to me that the member was interested in hearing your recommendation, no need to have a dig

can we get back to

what-are-the-biggest-modern-nighter-sounds

Social source share

1 minute ago, Mike said:

come on

negative takes just encourage more negative posts

reads to me that the member was interested in hearing your recommendation, no need to have a dig

can we get back to

what-are-the-biggest-modern-nighter-sounds

I've always found Google to be a wonderful tool , shame more find it too hard to negotiate.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

I've always found Google to be a wonderful tool , shame more find it too hard to negotiate.

topics about what-are-the-biggest-modern-nighter-sounds

as said lets get back to that

Social source share

I've recently been playing cds that I haven't listened to for years, steadily working my way through 300 or so, got to the modern /crossover/Luther Vandross etc and this thread came to mind when I was listening to this cd. Not sure when it came out but in the blurb Kev Roberts ends with the line"welcome to the new Northern Soul". Hope it's of relevant for the original poster. 

IMG_20240711_113125.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 11/07/2024 at 08:52, Woodbutcher said:

If all it required was google there would be no need for this site, would there? We could all be out there online on our own, individually searching for and even occasionally finding the same stuff. But it would be a bit of a waste of time to replicate all that effort when we could have - I dunno -a forum where like-minded people could share information.

Thanks to all those who suggested tunes - much appreciated. I've obviously heard a lot of them, but a lot more I haven't heard so (having been away for a week) I will spend between now and the football tracking them down and listening.

Social source share

Recently got this 45,sounds like early 70’s,modern? Funk?

im trying to broaden my taste,get my head out of my 60’s northern only arse😂

Just now, Dobber said:

Meant to ask…is this a known tune?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Yes it's a known tune. I had a copy from the Soul Bowl back in the 1980's.  It used to be on his Detroit catalogue. The other side is ok as well, if my memory serves me correctly.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

57 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Great that, very danceable. 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

Great that, very danceable. 

old favorite of mine that, but for the flip side 'Not As Beautiful As You', not all that keen on 'Gonna find a way' it's ok I guess.

Music-Now M.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 11/07/2024 at 00:44, Steve M said:

strike Ian's name, insert Dave Raistrick for that one... I knew Ian found a load of them back then, I bought one from him.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/07/2024 at 11:41, Twoshoes said:

I've recently been playing cds that I haven't listened to for years, steadily working my way through 300 or so, got to the modern /crossover/Luther Vandross etc and this thread came to mind when I was listening to this cd. Not sure when it came out but in the blurb Kev Roberts ends with the line"welcome to the new Northern Soul". Hope it's of relevant for the original poster. 

ve

It's a good CD that; I've got one somewhere. All of the tracks were played out - some were more popular than others. Good post.

Peter

😉

Social source share

Has Tony Fox - Let Love.......... been mentioned yet. One of my favourite modern tracks - awesome dancer. From memory I think that everyone thought this was LP only for a while, then some 45's showed up. Martin (Sam) spin? I think I may have/had the album at some point but as you know I gave my last collection away a couple of years ago - for nothing. The LP is tough, and the 45 even harder.

Peter

😉

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dr Ray Dj said:

Do these count?

Rock Candy - Alone with no love
Ace Spectrum - Don't send nobody else
Bill Harris - Am I cold, am I hot

And, even less sure but love the Skullsnaps

Yes they do. I'd class Skullsnaps as an oldie - Cleethorpes sound I think rather that over in Wigan.

Keep posting mate - welcome to SS.

Best

Peter

😉

Social source share

7 hours ago, Dr Ray Dj said:

Do these count?

Rock Candy - Alone with no love
Ace Spectrum - Don't send nobody else
Bill Harris - Am I cold, am I hot

And, even less sure but love the Skullsnaps

Rock Candy and Ace spectrum I wouldn’t class as Modern

• Thanks 1
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Rock Candy and Ace spectrum I wouldn’t class as Modern

Isn't, Rock Candy "Alone With No Love" Dontee 103  really the Contemplations "Alone With No Love" on Dontee 101 from 1969?

They needed a flip side for Rock Candy A side "I Don't Think I'll Find Another Love" so used the Contemplations track!

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

Isn't, Rock Candy "Alone With No Love" Dontee 103  really the Contemplations "Alone With No Love" on Dontee 101 from 1969.

They needed a flip side for Rock Candy A side "I Don't Think I'll Find Another Love" so used the Contemplations track!

Nearly, here’s what Kevin Coombe posted elsewhere

Kevin Coombe posted this information about Rock Candy elsewhere.  I asked and received permission from Kevin to post here, many thanks Kevin.
Rock Candy. Over the years I’ve read numerous posts relative to the recording of their 45, and I’ve even witnessed a few stylized (but ultimately fictional) anecdotes attempting to explain how The Contemplations were connected. 
Half a decade before I stumbled upon the pictured promo-shot, I used to pine and wonder — will the real Rock Candy ever stand up? Well, they ultimately did, or at least their legacy came to light. Now I’d like to share with you the basics so we can all combat misinformation together. 
Let’s begin. Having risen from the ashes of The Crescents in 1967, The Contemplations — who consisted of four vocalists — began making a name for themselves DC’s NE quadrant. Armed with newfound confidence, their de-facto leader, Matthew Allen, pitched an original composition to his neighbor — musician, producer, writer, and label owner Joe Tate. Excited about its potential, the industry veteran agreed to a recording session in NW, DC, followed by a release on his closely held imprint, Dontee’. “Alone With No Love” was born. Unfortunately, Matthew Allen’s commitment to a rigorous college schedule forced him to exit the group come ‘71, and they briefly stalled — until Joe made a suggestion. 
One of Tate’s other vocal groups, a three man outfit who called themselves Rock Candy, were struggling in the studio. He ordered that the remaining three Contemplations briefly replace Rock Candy’s two backing vocalists, giving their lead Tyrone Anderson what he needed to finish a Tate original. All parties agreed, and “I Don’t Think I’ll Ever Love Another” was complete. Tate then pitched the use of “Alone With No Love” as the subsequent single’s flip since most of the Contemplations were involved with both projects. Allen gave his blessing, and the single was pressed. 
That being said, the former Contemplations did not stick with Tyrone, instead opting to form a new group — The Natural Fact, until they went their separate ways. The promo shot pictured here features the group after the return of the former backers.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Nearly, here’s what Kevin Coombe posted elsewhere

Kevin Coombe posted this information about Rock Candy elsewhere.  I asked and received permission from Kevin to post here, many thanks Kevin.
Rock Candy. Over the years I’ve read numerous posts relative to the recording of their 45, and I’ve even witnessed a few stylized (but ultimately fictional) anecdotes attempting to explain how The Contemplations were connected. 
Half a decade before I stumbled upon the pictured promo-shot, I used to pine and wonder — will the real Rock Candy ever stand up? Well, they ultimately did, or at least their legacy came to light. Now I’d like to share with you the basics so we can all combat misinformation together. 
Let’s begin. Having risen from the ashes of The Crescents in 1967, The Contemplations — who consisted of four vocalists — began making a name for themselves DC’s NE quadrant. Armed with newfound confidence, their de-facto leader, Matthew Allen, pitched an original composition to his neighbor — musician, producer, writer, and label owner Joe Tate. Excited about its potential, the industry veteran agreed to a recording session in NW, DC, followed by a release on his closely held imprint, Dontee’. “Alone With No Love” was born. Unfortunately, Matthew Allen’s commitment to a rigorous college schedule forced him to exit the group come ‘71, and they briefly stalled — until Joe made a suggestion. 
One of Tate’s other vocal groups, a three man outfit who called themselves Rock Candy, were struggling in the studio. He ordered that the remaining three Contemplations briefly replace Rock Candy’s two backing vocalists, giving their lead Tyrone Anderson what he needed to finish a Tate original. All parties agreed, and “I Don’t Think I’ll Ever Love Another” was complete. Tate then pitched the use of “Alone With No Love” as the subsequent single’s flip since most of the Contemplations were involved with both projects. Allen gave his blessing, and the single was pressed. 
That being said, the former Contemplations did not stick with Tyrone, instead opting to form a new group — The Natural Fact, until they went their separate ways. The promo shot pictured here features the group after the return of the former backers.

Great info.  So after reading that it seems The Contemplations "Alone With No Love" 101 was used for the flip of Rock Candy 103. But some of Rock Candy that recorded "I Don't Think I'll Find Another Love" had been members of the Contemplations group.

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Has Tony Fox - Let Love.......... been mentioned yet. One of my favourite modern tracks - awesome dancer. From memory I think that everyone thought this was LP only for a while, then some 45's showed up. Martin (Sam) spin? I think I may have/had the album at some point but as you know I gave my last collection away a couple of years ago - for nothing. The LP is tough, and the 45 even harder.

Peter

😉

Love this Arthur recently included it on his spot on deans radio show and told the story.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Love this Arthur recently included it on his spot on deans radio show and told the story.

Hi Dylan

Was that Dean Anderton's show? Can you remember the story enough to do a brief post?

Thanks mate.

Peter

Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Dylan

Was that Dean Anderton's show? Can you remember the story enough to do a brief post?

Thanks mate.

Peter

Sorry can’t remember the detail only that it was played first from the LP

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Sorry can’t remember the detail only that it was played first from the LP

Thanks mate. Yep the album was first; it was thought that the 45 didn't exist and then someone found one - or more. I seem to recall that Sean Hampsey knows the story too. I haven't seen Sean on here for ages. He's a good soul man and all round good chap.

Peter

😉

Social source share

Sam Dees - found love love in my own back yard (unreleased Chess 45)

Heard this played out a few times in the Modern Room, Cleggy Weekenders.
I thought it was a stand out tune.

No sound file anywhere that I can find.
Obviously you would want to keep this exclusive.
Cannot remember who the DJ was that had it - someone please remind me.
I take it to be an acetate or pre-release copy.

image.png.f29b040321e3b8c1b0f9127853631568.png

Deffo would be a great 45 to have if it had achieved a proper release eh ?

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Becket said:

Sam Dees - found love love in my own back yard (unreleased Chess 45)

Heard this played out a few times in the Modern Room, Cleggy Weekenders.
I thought it was a stand out tune.

No sound file anywhere that I can find.
Obviously you would want to keep this exclusive.
Cannot remember who the DJ was that had it - someone please remind me.
I take it to be an acetate or pre-release copy.

image.png.f29b040321e3b8c1b0f9127853631568.png

Deffo would be a great 45 to have if it had achieved a proper release eh ?

You can hear it hear at about 1:09:00 ...

• Thanks 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

You can hear it hear at about 1:09:00 ...

Your ability to find all these tracks is impressive.  I’ve heard this but couldn’t remember where.  A database of what is where would be the way to go.

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Your ability to find all these tracks is impressive.  I’ve heard this but couldn’t remember where.  A database of what is where would be the way to go.

I get pilloried every time I mention it on here but a simple Google search threw it up in 0.02 seconds ... :rolleyes:

Edited by Woodbutcher
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

I get pilloried every time I mention it on here but a simple Google search threw it up in 0.02 seconds ... :rolleyes:

😆

I would never have expected that to work for a track within a Mixcloud set

Social source share

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

😆

I would never have expected that to work for a track within a Mixcloud set

Just Google Sam Dees - found love love in my own back yard.

samdeesunrel.thumb.PNG.7c81134dbe6bf5b3e623f5016e657b7b.PNG

A search here on Soul Source would have lead you there too but Google's a lot quicker ... :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!