Would Soul Sam have dropped this?

17 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

I'm not sure yet, going to play this more, before I decide if I like it. I was buying stuff similar to this 10 years ago as new releases, I do like the production and there definitely soul in there. 

Sounds a bit like the stuff Larry Heard was doing 20 odd years ago.

Derek

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Sutty said:

It’s a cover of Photek feat Robert Owens, a really sh*t one that sounds like some rock band on a minor stage at Glastonbury. Sam would definitely NOT play it lol

Quality! Those off kilter stabs work so well, his voice that ominous rumble of bass. Yes! More like it. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Sutty said:

It’s a cover of Photek feat Robert Owens, a really sh*t one that sounds like some rock band on a minor stage at Glastonbury. Sam would definitely NOT play it lol

That’s much more like it got to agree with geese that bass is fantastic.

Photek made some quality electronic music if you like that kind of thing.

as for the original post a poor record really.

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Mod Life Crisis said:

Gotta be honest folks, if I went to a rare soul or NS do and these records were being played, I would not be a happy chappy. I’m all for progressive sounds, this is just too far for my tastes.

Time and place for everything to shine , but for a 'northern soul' or 'soul' night it's just barrel-scraping.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Woodbutcher said:

Time and place for everything to shine , but for a 'northern soul' or 'soul' night it's just barrel-scraping.

Yes although I like more modern dance music I wouldn’t want to hear it at a northern or rare soul night it’s not right IMO.

time and a place indeed.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Northern soul grew organically from finger pop Motown sound to funk, as black music production improved northern followed it, not all eg hip hop, go go but most of it- when Wigan came to an end then Stafford folded,  the young breed kept going  and found  house- which was a backlash against overproduced pop soul- the golden years 1985-1987 produced incredible sounds that would have graced Wigan- CC rogers Someday- Nightwriters let The Music Take control,

There have also been recent gems like Gabriel's Love and Hate. The problem with the Northern scene was that it didn't keep evolving like it did in the early years; it stagnated and got stuck in the past. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Sutty said:

It’s a cover of Photek feat Robert Owens

This sort of record would have fitted into the so called Jazz/ Funk scene that developed in the very late 1970's early 80's. I remember Colin Curtis playing nothing but 12" singles of Jazz/funk. I never hear the term Jazz/ Funk anymore, does it still exist?

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Fiftyboiledeggs said:

There have also been recent gems like Gabriel's Love and Hate. The problem with the Northern scene was that it didn't keep evolving like it did in the early years; it stagnated and got stuck in the past. 

Gabriel's weak pop song that's basically MG's Grapevine sampled and watered down with a few tweaks and a couple of handclaps chucked in for good measure ... :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!