Sporting Heroes in song

Go to solution Solved by The Yank,

Saddened to learn of the passing of ex-baseball player Willie Mays, aged 93.  He was featured in the Joe Tex song “I’m A Man”, b-side to S.Y.S.L.J.F.M. (The Letter Song) on Dial.

Any other songs featuring sporting heroes? I can think of basketball player Moses Malone in Pieces of a Dream’s Fo-Fi-Fo and a few that feature Muhammad Ali (Alvin Cash, Matt Covington etc).

• Up vote 2
Social source share

42 minutes ago, Dobber said:

There’s a rare and superb tune by Paul Kelly “the upset” that I believe is about a boxer of the day?

Not mentioning that Sonny Liston fight per se but that Cassius Clay yield as 'THE UPSET' before winning the fight for title, theme, lyric and charismatic imprint.  

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

Here is Paul Kelly's "The Upset".  Great tune, from a great talent, which I had not heard before, so thank-you.

Btw on the Pieces of a Dream song Fo-Fi-Fo (4-5-4), Moses Malone is talking to Dr J  - who I now discover is Julius Erving, another basketball player. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Kesalocasoul said:

Here is Paul Kelly's "The Upset".  Great tune, from a great talent, which I had not heard before, so thank-you.

Btw on the Pieces of a Dream song Fo-Fi-Fo (4-5-4), Moses Malone is talking to Dr J  - who I now discover is Julius Erving, another basketball player. 

Very rare piece,cracking b side too!

certainly a  £700/1k record

Social source share

I have a Philadelphia flyers flyers version of 'aint no stopping us now' on Philadelphia international, different lyrics members the team, that were in the play offs that year, mentioned in the lyrics. Conna find a YouTube 

Social source share

On 20/06/2024 at 12:00, Geeselad said:

I have a Philadelphia flyers flyers version of 'aint no stopping us now' on Philadelphia international, different lyrics members the team, that were in the play offs that year, mentioned in the lyrics. Conna find a YouTube 

It was the Phillies not the flyers

( ice hockey) Here's a clip

https://youtu.be/pjMFdNN2ZEs?si=GdSOekz6O6sPzIWH

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!