Legal Re-Issues MCPS

If a record indicates MCPS on the label is it a legal re-issue?

Note

The Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society (MCPS) is an organisation that collects royalties and protects rights for music publisher, song writer and composer members, when their music is reproduced, in any format – including online, physical and synchronised.

The MCPS collects and pays royalties to members when their music is:

copied and used in physical products (such as records, CDs and DVDs)

streamed or downloaded on services such as Spotify, Apple Music, Netflix and Amazon

synchronised into audio-visual entertainment including TV, film, video games and advertising

on radio.

The MPA Group owns and operates MCPS on behalf of over 30,000 music publisher, song writer and composer members.

Social source share

If a UK release then it should, but it has been been printed on overseas or some event/rally boot CD sleeves to make them look genuine. If you post up the CD then we can guide. Ifnit ia genuine, the CD issuer has nothing to hide.

Edited by Thinksmart
Social source share

As far as I am aware in simple terms you need 2 separate things to make any release legit :

1. The MCPS mechanical license

2. The permission from the present owner of the recorded work(s).

If you don't have both then it's not legally anything -issued/reissued, it is a BOOT.

Just as I'm an inquisitive sort I've checked the MCPS database and yes, it has been applied for, but is noted as 'unnotified' which means it isn't currently registered on the PRS database for who gets royalties.

As for the original works owners it'll be who ever now owns the rights to united records.

Edited by Timbo58
  • Thanks 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Ady Croasdell said:

Timbo has answered the MCPS query, I’ll have another look. Usually you’d acknowledge the master owner on the label too. I can’t see that anywhere 

I read on Discogs (link below) that someone asked if "all" Lee Jeffries releases were licensed and Lee stated  19 Sept 2018 that they all were. Hope that helps.

https://www.discogs.com/label/157322-Sonic-Wax-Records?page=1

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!