Stax Soulsville USA Sky docs

Go to solution Solved by Simon T,

Was a great watch really enjoyed it.......however there is a lot more information to be gleaned by reading Stuart Cosgroves book Memphis 68 The Tragedy Of Southern Soul.

It goes a lot deeper into all the aspects of Stax. 

Social source share

Agree with Tobytyke - very good documentary as far as it goes, but really only scratches the surface.  Stax never had their business side very together and suffered greatly for it.  There was the dreadful Atlantic contract  (they were so clueless that even after the breakup, Stax gave Atlantic batches of unreleased Otis sides, which became the posthumous albums Immortal Otis Redding, Love Man , and Tell The Truth).  Then there was a story circulating that Isaac Hayes had not actually been signed as an artist when he put out the Hot Buttered Soul album, causing tremendous aggravation when it blew up.  And allowing people like the thuggish Johnny Baylor (KoKo label - Luther Ingram) into the company cost them literally millions.   Then there was what amounted to the CBS hostile takeover.  There should have been something about the sterling  Stax reissue program Ace Records did later on loaded with unissued material.     

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The first episode and the final half of the last episode were great and somewhat illuminating. I'm happy that this documentary was made, it keeps the Stax story relevant and alive and I realize that most of us are already so deep into this stuff that a documentary like this only can scratch the surface. But I did find it suprising that one of their most loyal and succesful artists, William Bell, only was mentioned once during the entire four hours.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!