Euro 2024 - Germany Topic

On 03/07/2024 at 17:59, Jessie Pinkman said:

Germany, France, Holland & England who should beat a team that drew with Scotland.

and we drew and only just beat teams ranked even lower than the Scots

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Don't take any notice what I say, my first prediction has just lost. 

Great game though , could have gone either way well done Spain , but why did the Germans bring on Muller legs have gone unless they where playing for penalties?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Chalky said:

and we drew and only just beat teams ranked even lower than the Scots

I never understand why England, as a team, packed with quality players, always perform so badly. Just an opinion on a thread I haven't followed.

Surely England vs Switzerland, has got to be a home banker; or have Switzerland become a good team in my not having had my eye on the ball. Excuse the pun. 

Peter

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

Well done. Can you give us a tip for the next round please.👍

Having not bet on my boys at 5000/1 I'm not the best, the semis are too difficult to call but for me  England v Spain final.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 07/07/2024 at 17:50, Leicester Boy said:

Having not bet on my boys at 5000/1 I'm not the best, the semis are too difficult to call but for me  England v Spain final.

Got to hand it to you LB, can you now predict winners please?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/06/2024 at 19:01, Happy Feet said:

That has to be the worst performance in a major tournament by any England team ever , is it possible that a Manager can be replaced and bring in one that knows how to get the best out of his players during a tournament, all these players are top quality and we are meant to be one of the favourites , B*llsh*t .

Something must have clicked because we're now going forward and actually pressing, instead of sitting back and letting the opposition keep us in our half , passing the ball from left to right inviting pressure.

Well done England , Ollie  Ollie Ollie , Ollie Ollie !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Something must have clicked because we're now going forward and actually pressing, instead of sitting back and letting the opposition keep us in our half , passing the ball from left to right inviting pressure.

Well done England , Ollie  Ollie Ollie , Ollie Ollie !

England seemed a different team compared to the rest of the tournament for the first half

Given the way they handled the penalties the previous match, then I'd say they could be in with a decent chance on Sunday

Odds to Lift the Cup
Extra Time? Penalties? Who cares how it happens - with this market you're betting on who gets the job done!
Spain 8/11
England 23/20

Social source share

Have to be honest - I've never been a great fan of footie - but good luck guys - you've got this! I won't be absolutely glued to the match tonight, but I'll probably be doing a bit of channel-hopping to see how it's all going........🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Edited by Kathryn Magson
Social source share

On 11/07/2024 at 12:03, Mike said:

England seemed a different team compared to the rest of the tournament for the first half

Given the way they handled the penalties the previous match, then I'd say they could be in with a decent chance on Sunday

Odds to Lift the Cup
Extra Time? Penalties? Who cares how it happens - with this market you're betting on who gets the job done!
Spain 8/11
England 23/20

Any score predictions ?  I usually have a couple of quid on televised games , this tournament though drawn a blank every time , so tonight I've gone for England to win in 90 minutes 3 - 2  odds 35/1  ,   I'm going on the basis that it will be the game of the tournament with  attacking play ,  like I say I've been a mile off up til now .

Social source share

If we sit back and let them play they will teach us a lesson.  If we attack and press hard, get in their faces we will win.  They will leave space with their style of play for us to exploit.  Southgate's rode his luck a lot just hope it doesn't run out tonight...C'mom England!

Social source share

1 minute ago, Woodbutcher said:

Good he was useless, squandered any hope Sunday by his tactics. We made finals and semis inspite of him not because of him. A decent but not brilliant Spain could have been beaten and 4 years ago a very average Italian side should have been destroyed. Just my views but good riddance. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

Good he was useless, squandered any hope Sunday by his tactics. We made finals and semis inspite of him not because of him. A decent but not brilliant Spain could have been beaten and 4 years ago a very average Italian side should have been destroyed. Just my views but good riddance. 

About the only decent decision he has made this summer.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

He certainly made mistakes (playing Kane the most blatant one).  He is still the second most successful England manager after Alf Ramsey.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Djack said:

He certainly made mistakes (playing Kane the most blatant one).  He is still the second most successful England manager after Alf Ramsey.

If success means not winning anything that is true after all reaching 2 finals and a semi is a success of sorts 😂 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

If success means not winning anything that is true after all reaching 2 finals and a semi is a success of sorts 😂 

You have reached  three finals  two of which under Southgate. Is that really failure?

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Djack said:

You have reached  three finals  two of which under Southgate. Is that really failure?

yes, he won sod all.

1 hour ago, Djack said:

No fit recognised left back, no plan B except bang a few subs on and hope they change the game.  Playing players out of form and others not in their natural position.  I enjoyed the teams much more under Venables and Robson.  Imagine what Venables would get out of this squad!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

yes, he won sod all.

No fit recognised left back, no plan B except bang a few subs on and hope they change the game.  Playing players out of form and others not in their natural position.  I enjoyed the teams much more under Venables and Robson.  Imagine what Venables would get out of this squad!

Venables was a big fat failure as England manager.

Social source share

Robson, Venables and Southgate all had good squads and in 90, 96 and 2021 imo under the right management should have won also Southgate was in a great position to get to the final in Moscow 2018 , whatever his failings I've enjoyed the ride yes frustrating at times [ a lot of the time ] but far better than non qualification failing in the group stages and lowest of the low Iceland . Who's next , Howe, Potter or a foreign coach ?

Social source share

irrespective of the trial of Southgate...in the final against Spain we (the Engalnd players) just didn't look after the ball. If we had it would have been a different outcome.

Social source share

41 minutes ago, Djack said:

YES , winning is success losing is failure especially against 2 sides who 1 was inferior to our team Italy and Spain were probably equal.

His defensive mentality cost us the chance of success.

Social source share

Southgate has had the kindest draw in at least two off his 4 tournament and we only seem to scrape through and in the process played the worst football of any team.  The teams ranked 30 or 40 places below us played far better football.  We only won 2 games in 90 minutes, one in extra time and another on penalties.  

I for one have seen enough of his brand of football and not won anything, I'd sooner see us having a go playing decent football and going out earlier.  We need a manager with modern methods who can get the best out of this crop of players because Southgate can't.  8 years is long enough.  Most of the players play a high tempo high pressing game for their clubs .  Southgate couldn't even get them playing how they play week in week out.  He can't even play them in the right position.  He takes a player who has not played since February with bother recognised player in that position.  He plays Kane when he himself added he wasn't up to it having not been fit prior to the tournament.   He cannot adapt during a game except to throw subs on hoping they will change the game, same tactics, same starting line up and then then same subs.  Some players must have wondered what they had to do to get some minutes?

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

13 hours ago, Kenb said:

irrespective of the trial of Southgate...in the final against Spain we (the Engalnd players) just didn't look after the ball. If we had it would have been a different outcome.

That is something you can't coach Ken, being comfortable when receiving the ball under pressure, then making the correct decision in a split second enables you to take care of the ball, and then, in the modern game, at the highest level, you have to times that by 11, something we've never been accomplished at 

Kev

• Up vote 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Kev Cane said:

That is something you can't coach Ken, being comfortable when receiving the ball under pressure, then making the correct decision in a split second enables you to take care of the ball, and then, in the modern game, at the highest level, you have to times that by 11, something we've never been accomplished at 

Kev

yes, i agree Kev...but what does that say about the England players as a squad. Because the same England players seem to be able to do it at club level., although they have other nationality players a round them, perhaps who can take care of the ball ! ( and Spain were no better than many Premiership Clubs)

Edited by Kenb
Social source share

3 hours ago, Kenb said:

yes, i agree Kev...but what does that say about the England players as a squad. Because the same England players seem to be able to do it at club level., although they have other nationality players a round them, perhaps who can take care of the ball ! ( and Spain were no better than many Premiership Clubs)

The Spanish demand a high technical game, they always have, always will,  we demand a high octane game where the fans demand the ball goes forward as quickly as possible, so ball retention comes a lot easier for the Spaniards, they've also added our physicality, and the Italians pressing game(Italians were doing it in the 90,s, before we even knew what it meant) to their game to use on the rare occasions the ball was turned over, all added up, that's covering all the bases, I still think we have this sense of entitlement and a dismissal of other teams qualities Ken, all in all, you can't cry wolf like we have for 58 years, without looking at yourself and perhaps asking, "what are the others doing that we aren't " 

Kev

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

We seem to hang onto the ball far too long wondering what to do with it, we seem to panic?  The Spanish offload it immediately rarely hanging onto it, keeping it moving, players always in space.

Technique, decision making and tactical nous create the possibilities to play a slick game Karl, and most of that is god given, and encouraged at an early age in the better footballing nations, who I don't, and haven't included us in for year's 

Kev

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!