Southwind Symphony

Go to solution Solved by Mick Holdsworth,

SOUTHWIND SYMPHONY...COMING HOME....GLOLITE57a9ee08061221.55868885.jpg.22a69bfcae544468136e8a0ecee2f6f5.jpg

Whats the low down on this one guys.Is it legit 0pinions  seem to vary.Always had a soft spot for this instrumental of Lou Prides Classic..Suemi label owner Kenneth Smith, enlists Al Greene's keyboard player revamping Lou Pride's classic Northern Soul anthem using the same Chelsea Avenue Studio the vocal was recorded in. Killer hamond & piano take over from Lou's rasping vocal. MONSTER inst.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember in the eighties my Domar soul packs were full of these along with a track called My Loves On Ration which was also an inst.Now I know that one was done for the scene from an acetate My bet is that Southwind was done for the scene as there were that many copies.Still a good record though.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

If you listen carefully to the Southwind track, it is simply the instrumental parts from standard Lou Pride vocal spliced together, and then doubled up, ie. first half = second half.

The story at the time was that it was a brand new recording, and that the added piano was linked to an Al Green session player, although the pianists name was never mentioned.

The aforementioned "Love's On Ration", is the backing track to the Four Seasons - Watch The Flowers Grow, using Vocal Elimination technology with added hiss to try and cover the remnants of the vocals.

Both tracks appeared at the same time, around 80/81 but it could have been an extra year either way.

• Up vote 2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

If you listen carefully to the Southwind track, it is simply the instrumental parts from standard Lou Pride vocal spliced together, and then doubled up, ie. first half = second half.

The story at the time was that it was a brand new recording, and that the added piano was linked to an Al Green session player, although the pianists name was never mentioned.

The aforementioned "Love's On Ration", is the backing track to the Four Seasons - Watch The Flowers Grow, using Vocal Elimination technology with added hiss to try and cover the remnants of the vocals.

Both tracks appeared at the same time, around 80/81 but it could have been an extra year either way.

Southward apparently 1977 covered up by New Wherry who got it from John.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

24 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Southward apparently 1977 covered up by New Wherry who got it from John.

Yes, just checked the dates and it probably was as early as '77 when it was first played, kept covered for a while as Ramsey Lewis, and then made available, Didn't realise it was that early, but as Nev died in 1980, and it was definitely before that sad event, then your date does feel about right.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Yes, just checked the dates and it probably was as early as '77 when it was first played, kept covered for a while as Ramsey Lewis, and then made available, Didn't realise it was that early, but as Nev died in 1980, and it was definitely before that sad event, then your date does feel about right.

I remember Nev playing it at The Palais in Notts

Social source share

9 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I need to have another listen to both the vocal and instrumental. I would never have guessed it was the same track. But everyday’s a school day.

Social source share

Personally i cant hear any splicing and it sounds very different to the main backing track...But if the Al Green session pianist story is incorrect does that mean its not a legit release...If so its out of the box

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

its been ok to play it all these years and was played by nev wherry in the 70s.. dont bow to peer pressure, leave it in your box and play it with pride mate

bout 20 squid i think

Thanks Dave

Social source share

14 hours ago, Patto said:

Personally i cant hear any splicing and it sounds very different to the main backing track...But if the Al Green session pianist story is incorrect does that mean its not a legit release...If so its out of the box

Just play it mate

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I've just had a much more comprehensive history about the Southwind Symphony from John Manship. He is fine with me posting it up on his behalf.

"Southwind Symphony. i found the master tape of Lou Pride in Bill Glore's studio on Chelsea Ave, Memphis in 1977 Bill introduced me to  Kenneth Smith the producer I asked him if he could make me an instrumental version, he produced the Southwind Symphony for me, and pressed me 1200 copies which I bought. So what's the mystery? Kenneth told me he employed Al Green's pianist for the keyboard work. Nothing fishy about the release all made and mixed by kenneth Smith himself using the mastertape i found at Bill Glore's recording studio where the original vocal version was made. It was an exclusive for me until I wholesaled some out yo Neil Rushton and Richard Domar."

and then . . .

"Produced by Kenneth Smith at Bill Glore's studios on Chelsea Avenue Memphis, with added keybpoard from Al Green's piano player (Charles Hodges). No mystery or splicing he made 1200 copies I bought them all in 1977 Nev Wherry who worked for me at the time got the first copy, covered it up as Ramsey Lewis."

Thankyou John comprehensive detail appreciated

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!