From pillowy pop to foot-stomping beats: 'The Supremes’

From pillowy pop to foot-stomping beats: The Supremes’ 20 best songs – ranked! from the Guardian.

You know its a traffic driver given it's linked to the Guardian Music channels, but overall a bit vague in that they seem to have listed a few post 1970, i.e without Diana, but called it 'Supremes' so I guess that gets round that... no mention of any of the early tracks 'Buttered Popcorn' et al, I guess 'No Hit Supremes' tracks don't cut the mustard here, and no pictures of Cindy Birdsong or Jean Terrell, or any of the later members of the goup.

That said, I'd have added the following tracks, You've Been So Wonderful To Me,  He's All I Got, & Take a look Inside, which I guess are less known the general public, but still very very good songs.

Any body up for re doing this list, and what would you add?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/article/2024/jun/06/from-pillowy-pop-to-foot-stomping-beats-the-supremes-20-best-songs-ranked

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 14.01.52.png

Social source share

Posted (edited)

Yes "You've been So Wonderful To Me" and "He's All I Got" should be in there.  Of there hits, I would of liked to see "Nothing But Heartaches" included.

But the biggest omission is the supreme "Stormy".

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

To open this out a bit but stay with the top 10/20 format, I found this online I hadn't seen before, slight change to LP tracks, andf all with 'Diana', we like Motown Lp tracks on here... and some great photography! Ian Philips is obviously a big soul fan!

So, keep em coming and I'll pubish a Soul Source Fans top 10 for the Supremes..  which will EXCLUDE 'Nathan Jones' ! sorry that song has gotta go...

https://ianphillipssite.wordpress.com/2021/08/06/the-top-10-albums-by-the-supremes-with-diana-ross/

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 19.55.35.png

Social source share

4 hours ago, Rotherham Soul said:

Ask Any Girl?

B side , but who knows if this wasn't the side people where actually buying it for , far better than the other side , and it would unfortunately only push the sales of the A side , was it ever played out at the time of release ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!