very odd...  the daftest one, was the right track, Peterboro.  if you turned up without pre-booking, you were shown the door.   never understood that..  (happened to me,  even tho Tony clayton knew me).  the parkway club were a strange lot. 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Didn't they originate as some places were only licenced to open to member's clubs - similar to the old Working Men's clubs. It's not just to do with alcohol, there were other aspects too - around capacity, having a site supervisor etc.

Later they just became a thing others did, but there was an original more formal basis

• Up vote 1
Social source share

As Stillsoulin has written above . We have recently instigated a (free) membership card (MC) at Bellmans Yard Soul Club due to  3 months ago a couple of non soul locals were mucking around and It was nipped in the bud. They had not been before and have not been back . We do have regular non soul locals that attend who are no problem and we appreciate that it is their social club and they support it.

The MC idea is so that we can charge any suspect locals (trying to get a cheap late drink) £4 admission plus we also advise its member only and its £30 for membership. 

Errol also use to use this tactic at Whitchurch Soul Club .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Thinksmart said:

Didn't they originate as some places were only licenced to open to member's clubs - similar to the old Working Men's clubs. It's not just to do with alcohol, there were other aspects too - around capacity, having a site supervisor etc.

Later they just became a thing others did, but there was an original more formal basis

Some places the authorities insisted upon a membership.  

Every club had them BITD....I have a load somewhere in a box

Social source share

I occasionally flash mine at the 100 Club. If there's some persistent undesirables at the entrance I make a thing of showing mine to the door staff and entering with a passing "It's members only mate".  They're not getting in anyway, but it sometimes helps.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!