Commodores...Manchester Apollo...

Go to solution Solved by bluerthanbland,

I hope somebody can help.

I saw the Commodores at Manchester Apollo in the 70s. Can't remember if they were support or main act. They were relatively unknown at the time...Machine Gun period.

I think about 73/74....can anybody pin point the date please?

Social source share

• Solution

I was there and the Commodores were definitely the headliners. I clearly remember them pre-performance wearing tour jackets proudly emblazoned with their hometown name of Tuskegee. I’ll certainly never forget the finale when the glitter guns were let off nearly deafening us. I’m uncertain of the date however.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks.

I had the " Machine Gun" album with me, and got 3 autographs on the album when the group alighted the tour bus.

I knew the names..just...as they were a new act to Motown. I recall that one autograph was Lionel Richie.

My main memory was seeing Richie going "solo" , playing the piano on a few ballads...probably " just to be close to you", " Sweet love", " This is your life" ?? I remember thinking at the time that he would need to leave the group...he was a real all round talent.

Social source share

I went to this one. I'm sure they were the main act and I have a strong feeling that the support was the Fatback Band.                                                                                                                                                           My own main memory was having a mouse run across my foot, but the Commodores were good and it was obvious Lionel Ritchie was a major star about to happen.

Social source share

I don’t recall ever having seen the Fatback Band. I think the support act would have been a U.K. based one as was often the case back then. I’m wondering Hot Chocolate or Peddlers maybe, both of whom I’ve seen in this capacity over the years?

Social source share

13 hours ago, Owd Codger said:

I hope somebody can help.

I saw the Commodores at Manchester Apollo in the 70s. Can't remember if they were support or main act. They were relatively unknown at the time...Machine Gun period.

I think about 73/74....can anybody pin point the date please?

Machine Gun album was released 1974. The Zoo was one of the tracks, massive at Wigan’s 1st annivesary.

Social source share

Posted (edited)

Went to this at the Apollo. Definitely after ‘74. We moved to Manchester from Sheffield in ‘74 and it was good few months after that. 
I would guess late ‘75/early ‘76 to be honest. My friend won tickets to it on Andy Peebles Soul Train Sunday night show on Piccadilly radio and it was before we went away on hols Spring ‘76.  Sorry for rambling answer but that’s my two penneth. 

Edited by Alleyoop
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Forgot to mention I can’t remember a support act if there was one. There usually was and it was a good way of seeing an act you might not usually catch but can’t remember anybody else being on this particular concert.

As an aside I note your comments above on  Lionel Richie’s singing.  I remember Jerry Williams saying that he “unfortunately” was the one that persuaded him to sing.  He produced their first record for Atlantic in his brief spell as a producer on Atlantic in the late 60’s along with stuff on Patti Labelle and the Bluebelles and the Drifters, They were a strictly instrumental before that, He wasn’t a fan of his voice but realised  his potential as a singer. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

After some digging around, I found the answer in Sharon Davis' book "Motown -the History".

She says that The Commodores first UK tour was March 1977.

The Support act was " Muscles".

She refers to the dense dry ice, flashing lights and cannon-fired confetti!!

Social source share

51 minutes ago, Owd Codger said:

After some digging around, I found the answer in Sharon Davis' book "Motown -the History".

She says that The Commodores first UK tour was March 1977.

The Support act was " Muscles".

She refers to the dense dry ice, flashing lights and cannon-fired confetti!!

that would coicide my theroy but i never said anything of being unsure, Brickhouse came out then and was a big tune for them released in other countries before 77 (over here sept 77) but was on the lp zoom  released march 77 so would tie in ??

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The 1978 tour was at The Free Trade Hall on Peter Street.

the support act was Motown newcomers "Three Ounces of Love".

An almighty punch up in the first few rows was memorable ........no idea what the cause was.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!