BBC Radio show on NS from 2005 - reavailable to hear

Just listened ,one quote from Stuart Cosgrove resonated as not having changed "the media served to confine the scene rather than actually define the scene in any positive way". I think it gave a more balanced view more so than recent articles, I think it was Stuart Cosgrove again who said something along the lines of  people writing articles with little or no real knowledge of the scene.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Thanks for flagging this. I remember listening when it was first broadcast. It probably wasn't aimed at people who've lived and breathed soul music all their lives, but I think it was an excellent introduction for people looking for more in depth knowledge. CP talked to lots of the right people. Nice to hear the reference to the talents of Carol Anderson. To be fair, overall, not much has really changed.  

CP Lee was a great bloke who used to live near us in the late 70's. He'd been a regular at the Wheel and was a big pal of Roger Eagle. He had a terrific record collection, pretty much entirely albums with lots of soul stuff. We saw him perform live lots as lead singer of Alberto y lost trios Paranoias and The Charlie Parkas. He took his role as a chronicler of the Manchester music scene very seriously and ended up as a professor at Salford Uni. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!