Just where is NS heading in the future?

On 15/06/2024 at 19:13, Mithras said:

Bletsoe reunion to have been there you would need to be 70+ most of my mates are dead Tony Warott,Tilly for starters ,Alan Day??? thinks not  its all gone now sad but true.

You would be very surprised as to how many are very much alive and enjoy hitting the dancefloor,, check out their FB page 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Shaafi P said:

Plenty of playlists posted from the night if you have a dig about. 

Good luck with all your Events enjoy and embrace the music and have a Great time, that’s what it’s all about, Don’t ever let the politics interfere with a Good night out and remember if your in it for the long haul it’s a great journey, keep of the B roads and cul de sacs stay on the Motorways and everything will come thick fast and exhilarating 

Mick L

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 20/06/2024 at 09:24, Kenb said:

i know it's just one tiny clip, but if Spring Rain is where it's heading good for them, but they can keep it to themselves.

Going along these words I've looked at one other of the videos from that night playing the Carstairs 'it really hurts me' (nothing as bad as Silvetti I mean). Yet it left me as to how I pictured these 'Peckham' nighters as "borrowers" in the nicest and respectful way that I can think of.

Meaning here to point out that they seemingly rather try to 'portrait' a sort of Wigan 'era' sound that could also fit a "broad" Club crowd. A crowd made of seemingly regular punters mostly into 'alternative' club sounds (like the shop advertises) featuring the NS bit amongst many other genres.

My point being that I wouldn't qualify such an event representative of the NS scene in the future nor even just of today... Seems more like a 'calibrated' commemorative night of a certain era of NS more than what the NS scene is in its essence like from the early days of 'Rare Soul', to NS and MS to today.

With dee-jays pushing sounds of their own (not necessarily rare) and 'taste of their own' for punters and dancers following these tunes... I mean focussing on tunes more than on 'what is or was'. Like a revival 'scene' does. The scene evolved some ever since music wise and in my mind should still to be 'the scene'...

Certain that I would enjoy such a 'Peckham' nighter. Still I wouldn't live it like a NS event. For the same reasons I still don't dig week-enders and other 'fancy' events. Where most is just too pleasing, predictable and safe. Soundwise too. Preferring the tense, risky and adventurous nighter adventure in sounds and atmosphere.

But that's only me. Not putting down for that or other matter the 'Peckham' brigade, organisation or crowd. Far from it. Or even the other "young" detached wanting to remain on their own (the today "woke" or left wing paranoid either 'you're agreeing with all that we feel IS or your against we') 'borrowers' of the NS label, stigmas (working class "elite") and partial heritage.

Just saying that in my eyes they're else. Not it. Nor a continuation of it as is. Unlike the NS kept going through the decades. Never stopped happening. Even in its lowest of down days. It kept on. With 'die hards' records collectors, bricks & beer matts collectors (LOL), clubs, dee-jays, dancers and punters old and new (few but still). But it kept on. Will they do appart ? Or joining in even ?

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

53 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Going along these words I've looked at one other of the videos from that night playing the Carstairs 'it really hurts me' (nothing as bad as Silvetti I mean). Yet it left me as to how I pictured these 'Peckham' nighters as "borrowers" in the nicest and respectful way that I can think of.

Meaning here to point out that they seemingly rather try to 'portrait' a sort of Wigan 'era' sound that could also fit a "broad" Club crowd. A crowd made of seemingly regular punters mostly into 'alternative' club sounds (like the shop advertises) featuring the NS bit amongst many other genres.

My point being that I wouldn't qualify such an event representative of the NS scene in the future nor even just of today... Seems more like a 'calibrated' commemorative night of a certain era of NS more than what the NS scene is in its essence like from the early days of 'Rare Soul', to NS and MS to today.

With dee-jays pushing sounds of their own (not necessarily rare) and 'taste of their own' for punters and dancers following these tunes... I mean focussing on tunes more than on 'what is or was'. Like a revival 'scene' does. The scene evolved some ever since music wise and in my mind should still to be 'the scene'...

Certain that I would enjoy such a 'Peckham' nighter. Still I wouldn't live it like a NS event. For the same reasons I still don't dig week-enders and other 'fancy' events. Where most is just too pleasing, predictable and safe. Soundwise too. Preferring the tense, risky and adventurous nighter adventure in sounds and atmosphere.

But that's only me. Not putting down for that or other matter the 'Peckham' brigade, organisation or crowd. Far from it. Or even the other "young" detached wanting to remain on their own (the today "woke" or left wing paranoid either 'you're agreeing with all that we feel IS or your against we') 'borrowers' of the NS label, stigmas (working class "elite") and partial heritage.

Just saying that in my eyes they're else. Not it. Nor a continuation of it as is. Unlike the NS kept going through the decades. Never stopped happening. Even in its lowest of down days. It kept on. With 'die hards' records collectors, bricks & beer matts collectors (LOL), clubs, dee-jays, dancers and punters old and new (few but still). But it kept on. Will they do appart ? Or joining in even ?

I implore you to pop along before you deep it that much off the back of two clips

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Shaafi P said:

I implore you to pop along before you deep it that much off the back of two clips

True like for everything. But how does one do them all ? Time and place for a playlist maybe ? Now I've visualized few others of these Peckham Soul videos like the Clovers, Bobby Womack, Towanda Barnes, Detroit Soul, George Kirby... As I said. Almost all classic sounds I love. Fitting the NS 'bill'. Indeed. Maybe in a creative set making some sense... But as "highlight" moments of a night I'm still not convinced...

A bit like on another subject with dee-jays playing impressive tunes one after the other in the most uncreative way like a Soul Supply compilation... To a bore IME. Big deep pockets 'bling-bling' showing off on the decks to spoil the enthusiasm to dance. For me at least. That or for having more money than imagination. This example just to show it's not even about having the right expensive or elusive records.

Going to a venue or a club with such a dee-jay line-up means different sound expectations and such. Meaning more on how to differentiate than to assimilate to and from the others. Sharing a common ground. Not a median sound into homogeneity at all times... Still leaving rooms for other "small" time occasional dee-jays 'expression'. These videos were posted. Hopefully representative enough of the nights I believe.

Knowing how hard it is to organize and gather a relevant dee-jay line-up on no or little budget with sometimes the unexpected 'dance floor ram' call effect or to gather a crowd in such nowhere 'soul scene' land (Belgium) and to have a nighter that will please one and all is HARD. One or two local connoisseurs, many amateurs and mostly punters who shan't be able to tell what they danced to before or after if ever...

Since a late teen I've tried to organize such nights since the late 1980's in Belgium (where I stil am) outside the regular Mod or Pop-Corn scenes that back then didn't match sound wise and public wise either. Unlike it does some now awkwardly IMO. And I admit not all nighters were memorable. Some were even memorable for the worst parts. At least making history in our memories. But to see them for what they are is a must.

Being open to 'constructive' criticism is the way to evolve, improve or change what we do good and bad. True for young and old. New and experienced. You have what seems a great location there and a rather good organisation team, support and crowd going on with these. That is top notch. Hats off to you all for that ! What I've not seen in those vids is the 'spice' that makes me 'GO' when I hear 'one tune' or a 'whole set' even better...

The NS sound at the right stages had that 'edge' that doesn't make it so or too accessible to mainstream. To keep it 'differentiated' and 'underground'. Free and loose from commercial or political imperatives. That was reflected in some sounds. Driven by the dee-jays competition to crate dig deeper into sounds and venture into new NS border lines to break the then 'politically' correct "guide lines" of the moment. At times creating schism within the scene (s)...

Not to my liking but the so called 'New Breed R'n'B' or 'Pop-Corn' sounds introduced in the NS circuit by the mid to late 1990's is a late reflection of that for example. Then what some refer to as to the 'Euro-Scene' with dee-jays mixing more and more 'funky' sounds tell such 'schism' stories again. Not all the time to my liking either but that is most natural and understandable. Even if not to my liking I witnessed that some of these nights were 'HOT' with 'spices'... Peace.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Leicester Boy said:

More surprising someone in their "youth" would even care what us older guys think, at their age you didn't give one.

Well not here. Those elders that I encountered with whom I saw no 'malice', who had respect towards one and all without prejudice and evidently had knowledge on music and records (to impress me and learn from), who shared opinions on complex matters and had some taste of their own I 'gave a lot' of toss. Humbly I'll forever be grateful to them. Remembering them for giving me that. Even if with time some went...  taking my own paths quickly from there on. Pulling strings of my own and taking all my liberties in taste, collecting and making my own opinions on it all. 

54 and I still don't see 'age' as an Identity issue. It's evidently part of 'who' one is (physiologically at least) at one time or stage in life. Is it so relevant of one's compatibility factor in social interaction ? Never much for me really. Individually I mean. What is called the 'generation gap' on the other hand is effective in society phenomenon. Hence why it's used and abused by such who deal with society issues such as sociologists and politicians. Who for the most benefit by mounting such pre-defined 'social' groups against each other for the sake of 'power'. Divided we fall...

Remember my first nights early nineties at the 100 Club and loved the music evidently but also the mix of crowd who were there only for the sake of NS music. Specifically sixties (or sounding so if later) sounding proper... no Wigan crap that always left me wondering from day one what got into those dee-jay's and dancers alike back then. Beside drugs. Anyway no dress code (I was a skinhead), a crowd of all ages and not only men... Uncoded and 'open' to one and all as long as one was respectful to all. Before the 2000 'Togetherness' statement that made it all fake IMO.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Remember my first nights early nineties at the 100 Club and loved the music evidently but also the mix of crowd who were there only for the sake of NS music. Specifically sixties (or sounding so if later) sounding proper... no Wigan crap that always left me wondering from day one what got into those dee-jay's and dancers alike back then. Beside drugs. Anyway no dress code (I was a skinhead), a crowd of all ages and not only men... Uncoded and 'open' to one and all as long as one was respectful to all. 

Spot on. Vintage years for the nostalgic. Rare 60’s and 70’s tunes, latest discoveries, one-offs, rarest of the rare. Dance floor code followed by all. Folks from all over the country. Sales boxes on the tables full of records you want nowadays. Dress code was smart, presentable, casual, informal and still is. Packed dance floor, good dancers, both ladies and gents. A few new onlookers but barely noticeable. Back then, an underground scene, members only, most folk still on the young side. The 100 Club will long be remembered in the same way as The Wheel, Torch, Wigan, Blackpool etc…you can’t beat a good dose of nostalgia looking back on the scene.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Fiftyboiledeggs said:

nostalgia is for cowards;)

Am not nostalgic. Coward ? 😆 But what's that got to do with it anyway ? Memories are past. Present is too close and future not yet to be told. Nostalgia in my book is like regret ; not good to live with. Especially in high doses. Being 'middle' age I was merely trying to share bits of my path to make my point that there are different ways to perceive and approach elders when one's a teen or a young adult. Not necessary in defiance but also just like one picks its peers at school going along with those that seem worthy of one's interest, able to teach and inspire for the better.

Like with anything there's always a time and place where it happened 'best'. So I put it in my context at the 100 Club mid 1990's. Would my hook with the NS scene been that strong if not there and then for that matter ? I guess not. Even though I was crate digging long before and loved my NS sounds (mostly not only) and OVO records way before that. Only that 100 Club experience then made me see that scene differently. With respect for those who were therein then. Yet evidently with others less. Or much less. Age for me was never a 'sociability' factor in my book.

Although for some elders as for other peers at school it seemed to be an exclusion factor on its own. For those last seclusion on 'age' factor seemed an evidence. Attitude and similar interest in music and its definition to some extent is all that I am seeking in the music 'nightlife'. Having been put off by the 'New Breed' thing then the NS oldies 'revival' and return from the 'dead' on the NS scene I've stopped traveling to attend nighters. As for today's scene it seems very active 'commercially' with plentiful of nighters about. Even with 'age' "segregated" circuits apparently.

Not saying that they are effectively 'segregated' (today I could still walk in both circuits without being stopped at the doors upon presentation of a valid ID to attest of my 'middle' age) but because that seem to be a prevailing argument both ways 'preferably' by some or 'adversely' by others. Or by none like me and many others. As those journalists articles lines and subjects underline is an observable phenomenon happening. Adding poison to the debate without further contradiction like a proper reporter would for a proper article if ever. Doubling it up with racists assumptions.

Both sides preaching 'tolerance' but that in fact isn't necessary that welcoming to different opinions. FWIW respect is shown not claimed. And tolerance is accepting not to agree on everything. But with for common ground to accept to discuss respectfully with arguments and not insults, not mixing-up facts with beliefs and / or sensitivity with susceptibility. As effectively witnessed on here again hard to find. No wonder both seem doomed. But such is the faith of most scenes. Some survive better than others. Here the 1970's NS lasted through thick and thin this long...

Love it or hate it, it's a fact. In Belgium the Pop-Corn scene too. On a much smaller scale though. What other scenes lasted that long under a same 'banner' ? With for 'line continuity' some originators and newcomers on board ? To a critical point (early 1990's ?) for NS then raising the question of the 'scene' survivalism without 'young blood' new comers. Is that really a valid question one should ask itself ? knowing that institutions come and go. What was was. Whatever will be will be. Here a schism is happening apparently. Not on musical orientation apparently but on age.

Is it some medical 'therapeutic obstinacy' before the doctors pulls out the plug ? Or is a 'second chance' at life ? The answer lies in its 'line continuity' factor IMO. Without individuals making the 'bridge' between them 'scenes' it clearly states this is 'our' thing. Making it somehow 'tribal' and secluded. While the 'New Breed R'n'B' and 'Pop-Corn' things for example intertwined the NS scene. Creating a new 'schism' onto the scene somehow but still under the same 'banner'. Same for the 'continental' Euro-NS scenes... While here a 'generation gap' NS lives in a parallel universe...

Maybe something to consider for some forthcoming 'Mega' NS events with a Championship Dance Competition on wheel chairs with a to a TOP 500 most expensive NS records ever (with Notarial Certificate proof of overpriced paid for purchase) main room, a MS downstairs room next to the paramedic office and a little 'connoisseur' corner next to the loo. All accessible only for bold or white hair dee-jays and punters (and dancers hopefully). AND then have a roof-top terrace instead of room for 'young blood' dee-jays and dancers alike. Making the 'intertwining' happening.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

Am not nostalgic. Coward ? 😆 But what's that got to do with it anyway ? Memories are past. Present is too close and future not yet to be told. Nostalgia in my book is like regret ; not good to live with. Especially in high doses. Being 'middle' age I was merely trying to share bits of my path to make my point that there are different ways to perceive and approach elders when one's a teen or a young adult. Not necessary in defiance but also just like one picks its peers at school going along with those that seem worthy of one's interest, able to teach and inspire for the better.

Like with anything there's always a time and place where it happened 'best'. So I put it in my context at the 100 Club mid 1990's. Would my hook with the NS scene been that strong if not there and then for that matter ? I guess not. Even though I was crate digging long before and loved my NS sounds (mostly not only) and OVO records way before that. Only that 100 Club experience then made me see that scene differently. With respect for those who were therein then. Yet evidently with others less. Or much less. Age for me was never a 'sociability' factor in my book.

Although for some elders as for other peers at school it seemed to be an exclusion factor on its own. For those last seclusion on 'age' factor seemed an evidence. Attitude and similar interest in music and its definition to some extent is all that I am seeking in the music 'nightlife'. Having been put off by the 'New Breed' thing then the NS oldies 'revival' and return from the 'dead' on the NS scene I've stopped traveling to attend nighters. As for today's scene it seems very active 'commercially' with plentiful of nighters about. Even with 'age' "segregated" circuits apparently.

Not saying that they are effectively 'segregated' (today I could still walk in both circuits without being stopped at the doors upon presentation of a valid ID to attest of my 'middle' age) but because that seem to be a prevailing argument both ways 'preferably' by some or 'adversely' by others. Or by none like me and many others. As those journalists articles lines and subjects underline is an observable phenomenon happening. Adding poison to the debate without further contradiction like a proper reporter would for a proper article if ever. Doubling it up with racists assumptions.

Both sides preaching 'tolerance' but that in fact isn't necessary that welcoming to different opinions. FWIW respect is shown not claimed. And tolerance is accepting not to agree on everything. But with for common ground to accept to discuss respectfully with arguments and not insults, not mixing-up facts with beliefs and / or sensitivity with susceptibility. As effectively witnessed on here again hard to find. No wonder both seem doomed. But such is the faith of most scenes. Some survive better than others. Here the 1970's NS lasted through thick and thin this long...

Love it or hate it, it's a fact. In Belgium the Pop-Corn scene too. On a much smaller scale though. What other scenes lasted that long under a same 'banner' ? With for 'line continuity' some originators and newcomers on board ? To a critical point (early 1990's ?) for NS then raising the question of the 'scene' survivalism without 'young blood' new comers. Is that really a valid question one should ask itself ? knowing that institutions come and go. What was was. Whatever will be will be. Here a schism is happening apparently. Not on musical orientation apparently but on age.

Is it some medical 'therapeutic obstinacy' before the doctors pulls out the plug ? Or is a 'second chance' at life ? The answer lies in its 'line continuity' factor IMO. Without individuals making the 'bridge' between them 'scenes' it clearly states this is 'our' thing. Making it somehow 'tribal' and secluded. While the 'New Breed R'n'B' and 'Pop-Corn' things for example intertwined the NS scene. Creating a new 'schism' onto the scene somehow but still under the same 'banner'. Same for the 'continental' Euro-NS scenes... While here a 'generation gap' NS lives in a parallel universe...

Maybe something to consider for some forthcoming 'Mega' NS events with a Championship Dance Competition on wheel chairs with a to a TOP 500 most expensive NS records ever (with Notarial Certificate proof of overpriced paid for purchase) main room, a MS downstairs room next to the paramedic office and a little 'connoisseur' corner next to the loo. All accessible only for bold or white hair dee-jays and punters (and dancers hopefully). AND then have a roof-top terrace instead of room for 'young blood' dee-jays and dancers alike. Making the 'intertwining' happening.

Everybody Now Take a real deep breath and hope for the best!
ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the USA in the 1970,s but was in my mid 20 ,s, went again in 80 and 81 seen what was going on, Seen a few acts over there in California, ie, Coasters, Bo Didley, Chris Montez, Freddy Cannon etc etc, There were numerous house bands  playing in Santa Monica and on Sunset strip live sets of 1960,s soul and RnB nearly every night you were never far away from Soul music

ML

Chris Montez

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!