Proof That Seventies Soul Is Superior To Sixties Soul

The following similarly titled Four Tops records when compared together prove almost conclusively that seventies soul is far superior to sixties soul.

Four Tops - Can't Seem To Get You Out My Mind - the sixties track, has everything that a good northern soul record should have. But its strangled by the 4/4 beat. Soul in a straight jacket. So dated.

Four Tops - Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind - the seventies track. Move on a few years & WOW what a tune. Much better orchestration & flowing vocals. Just shows you how much soul evolved in a decade.

Case proven.

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The following similarly titled Four Tops records when compared together prove almost conclusively that seventies soul is far superior to sixties soul.

Four Tops - Can't Seem To Get You Out My Mind - the sixties track, has everything that a good northern soul record should have. But its strangled by the 4/4 beat. Soul in a straight jacket. So dated.

Four Tops - Just Can't Get You Out Of My Mind - the seventies track. Move on a few years & WOW what a tune. Much better orchestration & flowing vocals. Just shows you how much soul evolved in a decade.

Case proven.

You can't argue with a sick mind...

Social source share

Guest johnm

But, it sounds like it was recorded in a broom cupboard. Clearly thats not right.

Have you seen the dvd "Standing in the shadows of Motown"

It's about the backing bands on most of the motown sounds and

some of the recording studios were not much bigger than a broom closet

but still produced great songs.........

each to his own

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Can't Seem To Get You Out Of My Head - fout tops -

16320 refosoul

my vote goes to this one..

Yes my vote goes this way to.

Social source share

Er...............aren"t they both just fantastic soul records? Or am I missing something here .......or being wound up?
:thumbsup:

Cheers ( I think ) Paul

Too right , why even have this debate ?

True soul lovers with good sense and good taste will enjoy both styles.

As a matter of fact, I believe the best of the Four Tops' ABC-Probe releases such as Sweet Understanding Love , Are You Man Enough, Aint No Woman, Just Cant Get You etc was every bit the equal of their monumental Motown releases.

In fact let's start a separate thread on one of the great unheralded song writing and production teams of 70's soul, Dennis Lambert & Brian Potter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

As a matter of fact, I believe the best of the Four Tops' ABC-Probe releases such as Sweet Understanding Love , Are You Man Enough, Aint No Woman, Just Cant Get You etc was every bit the equal of their monumental Motown releases.

In fact let's start a separate thread on one of the great unheralded song writing and production teams of 70's soul, Dennis Lambert & Brian Potter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Are You Man Enough

yessir, you got a good point there.. spot on 7Ts with a GREAT message!!!

There's not a street that you can walk.

You got to watch just who you're talkin' to.

They're out to get ya, can't turn your back on a smilin' face.

Next thing ya know, there ain't no trace of you.

And this I betcha...some people lose, and some folks win.

It's a matter of what they do!!!!!!!!

Where's my Piano?!

Social source share

Er...............aren"t they both just fantastic soul records? Or am I missing something here .......or being wound up?
:thumbsup:

Cheers ( I think ) Paul

Me, on a wind up? No, just a little gentle teasing really.

Both records are of course 'just fantastic soul records'

But it has to be said that the sixties record is "like a cake thats been left out in the rain......and you'll never get that recipe again."

Whereas the seventies tune is "a souffle, thats still rising"

Social source share

Case proven.

I think they're both great , but they're not even the same song , just a similar title .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Case proven.

As i usually prefer sixties type stuff it will be no suprise which way I will vote. The thing is, the sixties track was actually a B side(over here anyway), and therefore was probably regarded as not quite being up to scratch by the Motown. Always been a favoutite of mine though.

Paul

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

Guest Simon

Bit of a ludicrous debate but i'll join in as i'm bored, nothing touches the sky scraping brilliance of the Four Tops 6ts monsters such as 'Reach out i'll be there', 'Bernadette', 'Standing in the shadows of love' et al, all IMHO of course.

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Bit of a ludicrous debate but i'll join in as i'm bored, nothing touches the sky scraping brilliance of the Four Tops 6ts monsters such as 'Reach out i'll be there', 'Bernadette', 'Standing in the shadows of love' et al, all IMHO of course.

Simon :thumbsup:

Next topics up for your debating pleasure .......

" Eighties soul is superior to Seventies soul "

" Nineties soul is superior to Eighties soul "

" Year 2K soul is superior to Nineties soul "

" Y2K+1 soul is superior to Y2K soul "

" Y2K+2 soul is superior to Y2K+1 soul "

" Y2K+3 soul is superior to Y2K+2 soul "

" Y2K+4 soul is superior to Y2K+3 soul "

" Y2K+5 soul is superior to Y2K+4 soul "

" Y2K+6 soul is superior to Y2K+5 soul "

" Y2K+7 soul is superior to Y2K+6 soul "

Soul music , whatever the year it was produced , should be enjoyed .

If a particular track from a given year does not tighten the chain on your pushbike , it does not mean it makes the day for someone else .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Gets even better in the 80s, why would you bother listening to "Ask The Lonely" and flip it over for "Where Did You Go", when you can dig out your treasured copy of "Loco In Acapulco"

Social source share

Gets even better in the 80s, why would you bother listening to "Ask The Lonely" and flip it over for "Where Did You Go", when you can dig out your treasured copy of "Loco In Acapulco"

Hi John .....

Agreed , but it has to be 10" picture sleeve copy , containing the Trevor Horn , 26 minute remix , pressed only for the Falklands market ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi John .....

Agreed , but it has to be 10" picture sleeve copy , containing the Trevor Horn , 26 minute remix , pressed only for the Falklands market ......

Malc Burton

i got a "Martini" shaped limited edition picture disc. No way will I sell it.

Am I missing something?

I thought I JUST CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY MIND - Probe and CAN'T SEEM TO GET YOU OUT OF MIND on UK Tamla; are two totally different records,surely diff. writers, producers, lyrics, musicians..recording studios etc etc..so yeh it would sound different wouldn't it? BOTH are fabulous tunes in their own right..btw so why are we comparing them??

Social source share

Have you seen the dvd "Standing in the shadows of Motown"

It's about the backing bands on most of the motown sounds and

some of the recording studios were not much bigger than a broom closet

but still produced great songs.........

each to his own

Bloody hell! I forgot about that movie. Where can I get a copy?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Don't be so quck to dismiss, John - the flip of the US copies of "Loco..." is one of the best records that the Tops made in any decade, the wonderful Paul Kelly-penned midtempo "Change Of Heart" a.k.a "Change To Me".

I feel sorry for anyone who's ever passed this 45 over without turning it over (not implying that you have, of course, I'm merely generalising...)

TONE

Social source share

Don't be so quck to dismiss, John - the flip of the US copies of "Loco..." is one of the best records that the Tops made in any decade, the wonderful Paul Kelly-penned midtempo "Change Of Heart" a.k.a "Change To Me".

I feel sorry for anyone who's ever passed this 45 over without turning it over (not implying that you have, of course, I'm merely generalising...)

TONE

i have Tone, I have!!

..you now got me scrambling around, to find a copy to play..

Social source share

Guest johnm

Bloody hell! I forgot about that movie. Where can I get a copy?

I got mine in a record shop called FOPP £3....well it was actually part of the wife's Xmas present...

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I agree with both of you. Such a debate is sterile. Anyone who has to choose their Soul music entirely on the basis of the decade it was recorded, ain't a proper Soul fan as far as I can see. The Four Tops' 70s recordings were great. particularly their version of "Love Music" - and the whole of the first album in fact. What about the Lawrence Payton sides? Fantastic in every way! Also, Lamont Dozier is amost a god to me, (but it's his 70s solo recordings that made him so!)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

TONE

And what an truly underated talent is Paul Kelly!

In the 'Sixties he gave us: "Chills And Fever", "Stealing In The Name Of The Lord", and one of my all-time favourites "Sweet Sweet Lovin" et.al., - then in the 'Seventies came up with the "Don't Burn Me" album (oh how brilliant is this LP!), along with dozens of fabulous songs recorded by other Soul greats! Now argue about which decade is "better" folks, 'cos I've got better things to do!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

"Ask The Lonely" is one of my all-time favourite records - let alone of those by the Four Tops! If all records were as lyrically painful and emotionally evocative as this, I'd never leave the house, but would gradually pine away to nothing by my record player!

Come to think of it... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Apologies to those who thought the debate a little 'sterile' however, I think a lot of interesting/worthwhile points came out of the thread.

The seventies track for me is just awesome and if a few more people now are more aware of it, thats a really good thing.

I shall retire from the debate slightly bruised but happy.

Col

Social source share

Guest rachel

Apologies to those who thought the debate a little 'sterile' however, I think a lot of interesting/worthwhile points came out of the thread.

The seventies track for me is just awesome and if a few more people now are more aware of it, thats a really good thing.

I shall retire from the debate slightly bruised but happy.

Col

You'll be more bruised if you post mp3s up in this forum again :thumbsup::boxing:

Personally, I find the 70s one of these more memorable - that is, I can't listen to either at the moment as I'm at work, and I know that I know the 60s one but I can't remember how it goes, whereas the 70s one will now be stuck in my head all afternoon - fabulous track.

Of course it would be very boring if we all agreed... there'd be no posts on here for a start :(

Social source share

Sixties Soul = Cool. Sharp suits & fantastic unparalleled danceable sounds.

Seventies Soul = Mincy shuffling nonsense. Awful clothes and er, hairy..

Don't forget Huggy Bear, classic 70s icon :thumbsup:

and mincy shuffling is under rated. I'll give you some lessons.

Apologies Rachel, couldn't get the Refo Soul format working on saturday.....couldn't even find an option for uploading files in that way. Will try harder next time.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

maybe 70's could be as good as 60's but onto subject as someone said about Four Tops. i know they recorded 2 classic singles in the 80's Used To Be Ma Girl and Loco In Accapoco

Social source share

Guest MattB

Yes my vote goes this way to.

that version is so much better, so so much, really really good record, the first one sounds too clean, and that comes from someone who often gets frustrated by the cloudy sounds of overplayed records!!

Social source share

I like both, got them both too as I'm a big fan of the Four Tops-probably my favourite male vocal group.....along with the Impressions and...forget that there's far too many :hypo: I remember lots of clapping along to Can't seem to get you out of my mind at niters about 20 years ago...that sticks in my mind for some reason :lol:

Social source share

I have it on good authority that Pol Pot, Martin Bormann, Attila the Hun and Doctor Crippen were all modern soul fans, whilst St. Francis of Assissi, Mother Theresa, Albert Schweitzer and the Duke of Wellington preferred the sounds of the 60's.

I don't think you can argue with that and hopefully this concludes any further debate.

Thank you

ROD

Social source share

I have it on good authority that Pol Pot, Martin Bormann, Attila the Hun and Doctor Crippen were all modern soul fans, whilst St. Francis of Assissi, Mother Theresa, Albert Schweitzer and the Duke of Wellington preferred the sounds of the 60's.

I don't think you can argue with that and hopefully this concludes any further debate.

Thank you

ROD

:lol::unsure::unsure::lol:

Have to agree, except St. Francis of Assissi, he was catholic so clear liked his modern tunes as well

Social source share

Guest Dante

Thank you

ROD

hahaha

PS I'd change the Duke Of Wellington for K. Marx :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

What a strange thing to say.

Why is that a strange thing to say? I regard as "strange" anyone who claims to be a fan of Soul music, and then gives the entire genre a "sell by date" of December 31st 1969 !

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Thank you

ROD

Whoever you imagine this "good authority" to be, you're obviously hearing voices that aren't actually there. I suggest you seek urgent treatment - and while you're at it get some of that "dead wax" out of your ears!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert