Discogs question

Yesterday I received and notification from Discogs saying a want had come up. The seller had a large inventory include lots of rare soul:and had hundreds of positive feedbacks. I contacted them and asked for a sound file of the 45 and they responded positively and asked for my email to send it. This was yesterday - Saturday.

Today I received another Discogs ‘want’ notification for the same item. When I went to the item it was no longer for sale. OK no problem, but what was strange the whole inventory of the seller had disappeared and they no items for sale any longer.

So how can a seller with hundreds of positive feedbacks and items for sale disappear within 24 hours ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Yesterday I received and notification from Discogs saying a want had come up. The seller had a large inventory include lots of rare soul:and had hundreds of positive feedbacks. I contacted them and asked for a sound file of the 45 and they responded positively and asked for my email to send it. This was yesterday - Saturday.

Today I received another Discogs ‘want’ notification for the same item. When I went to the item it was no longer for sale. OK no problem, but what was strange the whole inventory of the seller had disappeared and they no items for sale any longer.

So how can a seller with hundreds of positive feedbacks and items for sale disappear within 24 hours ?

Seller can take his stock offline at any time. For instance if he is going on holiday or will be away from home for any other reason.  

Derek

Social source share

Posted (edited)

No most likely this seller's account was hacked-in and someone used it to proposed numerous big popular 'wants items'. Beware as the payment recipient is then not the one from the original seller's page and the item is in no one's possession. Often these proposed at an attractive (bait) price... Screams warning ! Don't fall for those.

Accustomed to that malpractice Discogs now in suspicion block these presumed hacked-in seller's account and await the original account seller's feedback on the matter to sort the issue out; This malpractice began a year or so ago and apparently was based in Ukraine. Although could be Russian all the same. Smells like so to me..

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

No most likely this seller's account was hacked-in and someone used it to proposed numerous big popular 'wants items'. Beware as the payment recipient is then not the one from the original seller's page and the item is in no one's possession. Often these proposed at an attractive (bait) price... Screams warning ! Don't fall for those.

Accustomed to that malpractice Discogs now in suspicion block these presumed hacked-in seller's account and await the original account seller's feedback on the matter to sort the issue out; This malpractice began a year or so ago and apparently was based in Ukraine. Although could be Russian all the same. Smells like so to me..

The seller has been selling good items for a while, and there is feedback over the years from people on here as I recognise names. I thought something was wrong when it just went offline. Also the item was a substantial price but less than what I’d expect. So it smelt wrong, and the sound file was never sent.

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!