Weird Ric-tic - What You Make Of This?

Pete S

• Replies 23
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

'Cloakroom Kenny' had one of these - swears it's original but I reckon it could be a 60s boot from Pittsburgh... it's definately on Vinyl, and not Styrene like all other Ric Tics.

why would someone boot a multi million selling record ? im sure the record shops in pittsburgh would have been full of copies of this..it not only topped the r & b chart it also went high in the pop chart

Social source share

why would someone boot a multi million selling record ? im sure the record shops in pittsburgh would have been full of copies of this..it not only topped the r & b chart it also went high in the pop chart

In Pittsburgh they were booting records at the time of their release... (cheaper to press your own than buy them in?)

Question is - why not boot a high selling 45? - there's obviously a market for it.

Didn't Raymona Gordy boot Motown 45s whilst they were selling the originals as well?

Social source share

I'd query your figures on that - I'd be suprised if it sold more than 100,000 copies...

Most of which probably ended up over here in the 70s.

wasnt aware that they were booting chart hits, much the same as pirate cd's nowdays i suppose.. regards amount of copies sold, i wouldnt know the exact amount i was just assuming it would have been a high figure, as it was a national hit in usa, both r & b & pop charts

Social source share

hi, i have one of these, there was a thread on this a while back of which i agreed with ken that these

are actual original issues, east coast i think.not only that but i also brought mine from a well known

dealer who confirmed this was an original 45.

any help

russ

Social source share

hi, i have one of these, there was a thread on this a while back of which i agreed with ken that these

are actual original issues, east coast i think.not only that but i also brought mine from a well known

dealer who confirmed this was an original 45.

any help

russ

>>> LINK <<< To the previous Thread about this record.

Social source share

These are possibly counterfeits rather than boots IMHO. Pressed up in far corners of the states and sold to capitalise on the market at the time of the release. Miss Ray did, as Joe points out do this with some Motown stuff while she was running the New York motown operation but was in the midst of her split from Berry. Berry agreed to drop the charges if she signed away her rights to her half of Motown for something like $10,000(?).

Social source share

These are possibly counterfeits rather than boots IMHO. Pressed up in far corners of the states and sold to capitalise on the market at the time of the release. Miss Ray did, as Joe points out do this with some Motown stuff while she was running the New York motown operation but was in the midst of her split from Berry. Berry agreed to drop the charges if she signed away her rights to her half of Motown for something like $10,000(?).

I've always been intrigued by this part of the Motown legend. Can anyone post up a scan/example of one of these so called bootleg/counterfeit Motown issues that Miss Ray was alleged to have pressed up in the 60's ???

In all my years of record collecting, I can't ever recall a dealer or fellow collector actually describing or showing to me a 60's Motown record that is a bootleg or counterfeit ???

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

I've always been intrigued by this part of the Motown legend. Can anyone post up a scan/example of one of these so called bootleg/counterfeit Motown issues that Miss Ray was alleged to have pressed up in the 60's ???

In all my years of record collecting, I can't ever recall a dealer or fellow collector actually describing or showing to me a 60's Motown record that is a bootleg or counterfeit ???

Hi Sunnysoul

Now that is one heck of a question. not_i.gif

Anyone know. unsure.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I think the record in question was My Guy - Mary Wells, I have got one somewhere although I won't be able to lay my hands on it easily, the plastic is well flimsy and the sound quality is less than perfect, the label looks like it was turned.

Social source share

I read something about Miss Ray the other day.

I think it was on;- suolfuldetroit.com

The goldenworld / goldenhit story

It is good reading anyway

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

oo'er. I bought the record in question. never mind, it only cost 6 quid, & I guess it's an unusual item, being an 'original counterfeit' etc.

M

Hi

This arrived through the post This Morning, It is on Vinyl.

Ric-Tic_RT-103a_YV.jpg

I hadn't seen this one before. unsure.gif

I already have these 4

Ric-Tic_RT-103a_Y-R.jpgRic-Tic_RT-103a_Y.jpgRic-Tic_RT-103a_R.jpg

Reo_8871Xa.jpg

This One from Sea Bear has a slightly different Title, I notice that the Canadian Reo also has the "AGENT OO-SOUL" title :thumbsup:

RT1.jpg

Seabear.com

Don't they look well together - There's something quite appealing about this Label.

We are currently trying to compile scans for the Ric-Tic & Mirwood Label at Hitsville Soul Club of America >>> LINK <<<

Includes Scans of the White DEMO for Ric-Tic RT-103, now that is a Rare One. shades.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

didnt the label "lana" bootleg many records that were big hits at the time??,in the 60s including the reflections,romeo+juliet,part of ric-tic/golden world/wingate labels,cannot remember other titles but im sure they bootlegged quite a few popular tunes at the time,someone must have made a few grubby bucks somewhere hope ive got this right !!!,any info on this label would be nice and how did they eventually get shut down,how about a list of lana 45s im sure there was a few soul 45s bootlegged at the time,who was behind the label??????...soulie55

are they ancient relatives of amnesiarecords!!!!!... whistling.gifwhistling.gif:thumbsup:

Edited by soulie55
Social source share

Guest Bogue

Ouch ! If that is the case those counterfeits proved to be pretty expensive to her in the end i would say.

Social source share

I've got a nice San Remo Strings on 'Reo'...wasn't it a Canadian label ?
blimey i thought i was going mad with your changing avatar 45cellar !

Hi Simon

Yes, Reo is Canadian.-------------Reo_8871Xa.jpg

I'm not sure about this Vinyl, Yellow Ric-Tic, It does have a very different Font to the other Ric-Tics.

Ric-Tic_RT-103a_YV.jpgRic-Tic_RT-103a.gif

About the Avitar, I decided to load my Avitar in via Photo Bucket as a Gif.

I now just upload a new Avitar with the Same File Name If I want to change It. shades.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

didnt the label "lana" bootleg many records that were big hits at the time??,in the 60s including the reflections,romeo+juliet,part of ric-tic/golden world/wingate labels,cannot remember other titles but im sure they bootlegged quite a few popular tunes at the time,someone must have made a few grubby bucks somewhere hope ive got this right !!!,any info on this label would be nice and how did they eventually get shut down,how about a list of lana 45s im sure there was a few soul 45s bootlegged at the time,who was behind the label??????...soulie55

are they ancient relatives of amnesiarecords!!!!!... whistling.gifwhistling.gif:thumbsup:

Here is one of the Lana Releases

Lana_138-A.jpg

Social source share

are they ancient relatives of amnesiarecords!!!!!... whistling.gif:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Possibly.............especially when you spell Lana backwards! :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert