The Strange Story Of Larry Allen On Green Dolphin

Pete S

I bought a copy recently and the chap I bought it off knew the history and the people who produced it, thought you might find this snippet of information interesting...

Larry Allen was from Greensburg, PA. Jerry Reed, who owned the label, had 1000 copies pressed. 500 as Larry Allen and 500 as L. Allen. It was released in the fall of 1965.

Jerry got frustrated because the record didn't sell and at the time he had an old car that he was junking, and he threw around 900 copies of the record into the trunk to be crushed and remelted.

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I bought a copy recently and the chap I bought it off knew the history and the people who produced it, thought you might find this snippet of information interesting...

Larry Allen was from Greensburg, PA. Jerry Reed, who owned the label, had 1000 copies pressed. 500 as Larry Allen and 500 as L. Allen. It was released in the fall of 1965.

Jerry got frustrated because the record didn't sell and at the time he had an old car that he was junking, and he threw around 900 copies of the record into the trunk to be crushed and remelted.

Ouch!!

Love it.

Social source share

Pete theres a bit about this in theres that beat in the pittsburg article,real name larry namee,done in 1/2 hr fom writing to recording

Social source share

Guest the dukester

DID IT HAPPEN?

DID THEY GO TO THE CRUSHER??

If I remember correctly I sold a copy I had to Trev Thomas and his amazing sideburns!!!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

it's a pitty the 1,000 didn't get to the crusher :thumbsup: imo

I got rid of the record because I thought it sounded awful. Then I heard it out again and thought it sounded great, and last time I heard it played out it sounded awful again. So just can't make up my mind on this one. Had a conversation with Ady Croasdell once about whether there were two different versions under the different names which would explain why it can sound good or bad but don't think that is the case, a record that just doesn't work sometimes, wierd.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Which would mean 100 copies of the record would be left in existence? Sounds quite a small amount compared to the copies that have probably surfaced over the past 20 or so years. :thumbsup:

Social source share

A monster record late 70's at Clouds up here in the Scottish Lowland for a Mr J Rogers, one of the many tunes being broken here at the time!! :rolleyes:

Sure there is a story about a couple of copies being found in Hippy shop near University, any truth Jolly or Urban Myth being told to us young kids at the time!!

Hate the record now, but it sounded the business at Clouds, happy days!!

Social source share

Yeah organ. It's the bit that isn't singing, piano or drums.

Tried these Simsy?

post-1918-1174165247_thumb.jpg

:thumbsup:

Godz

Hopi ear candles - saw some of those when I went to have my acupuncture this week. Definitely needs them seeing as the organs the most prominent part of the record apart from the piano intro!

Social source share

Yeah organ. It's the bit that isn't singing, piano or drums.

Tried these Simsy?

post-1918-1174165247_thumb.jpg

:thumbsup:

Godz

Ear Candles?... Now I've Seen It All On Soul Source What's Next Navel De-Linting?

Social source share

Stop Press.

As it appens I have just been down to my local shop and F++k Me I have found an acetate of an Irish singer and its another version of the L Allen called cant we Walk It Talk it Over.

Wow what a dancer, I am loading up a snipet on MP3 now.

Fcuk me - value? :thumbsup:

Social source share

about 150 UKP...theres an interesting artivcle about this 45 and others out of the Steel City in the latest "Theres The Beat" fanzine. Recommended lecture.

More like £300 for the L. Allen and £350 for the Larry Allen, Marc.............

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert