Shrine Records - Rare Soul Sides: Washington DC 1965-1967

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

It says it's due for release on 31st May?

That's right, I was really surprised to see it today instead of next Friday - no complaints though!

Social source share

On 22/03/2024 at 15:50, Soul16 said:

Nice. A shame that J D Bryant isn't there though.

Yes!  I agree 100%.  JD Bryant's A side is one of my couple favourite Shrine cuts.  It's a shame it's not included.  Why was it left out?  Not available for remastering? - or the only available copy was too beat up?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Robbk said:

Yes!  I agree 100%.  JD Bryant's A side is one of my couple favourite Shrine cuts.  It's a shame it's not included.  Why was it left out?  Not available for remastering? - or the only available copy was too beat up?

I'd seriously doubt that as it's not the hardest one to come by. Although not the commonest one either. And I've seen few over the years in almost Mint condition. But it's a 'popular' one so indeed it maybe only missed selection...

Social source share

3 hours ago, Robbk said:

Maybe in a future box set.   As far as I know Ace has the tapes. If not there is a good few in this country who would make one available to take a recording from. 

On 24/05/2024 at 17:15, Seano said:

That's right, I was really surprised to see it today instead of next Friday - no complaints though!

They received them from the pressing plant a few weeks ago so I assume they were able to get them out early because of this. Only a week early anyway.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Andy Rix said:

The decision was made early in the planning stage to only use tracks that had not previously been released in the UK on 7" vinyl.

So J.D. Bryant, as an example, had previously been reissued both on Soul City and the Goldmine Shrine series

Hope that helps explains the rationale

Andy

1. In the tapes from Eddie, is there unknown Shrine artist covering " I wanna hold your hand" or have I imagined that?

2. I don't know if you remember this, but did the studio tapes of these early takes and unreleased ever come to light?

Social source share

Hi Simon

The version of "I want to hold your hand" is the Cautions .. I think it will get a CD release via Ace/Kent in the future

The rehearsal tapes only appeared as you have them .. I assume the guy still has them but years since I heard from him

A

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Andy Rix said:

Hi Simon

The version of "I want to hold your hand" is the Cautions .. I think it will get a CD release via Ace/Kent in the future

you are going to have to sell a few copies - i wouldn't image Sony/Universal come cheap!!!!

14 minutes ago, Andy Rix said:

The rehearsal tapes only appeared as you have them .. I assume the guy still has them but years since I heard from him

A

Boo! My Latest Might Be My Greatest by the Prophets is my favorite Shrine recording

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Both Shrine sides were productions released on Jet Set.

Yup aware of that. Shrine release not the sort of thing that could be played out and may serve to increase the value of my Jet Set copy. Happy days.

Social source share

15 hours ago, Simon T said:

1. In the tapes from Eddie, is there unknown Shrine artist covering " I wanna hold your hand" or have I imagined that?

2. I don't know if you remember this, but did the studio tapes of these early takes and unreleased ever come to light?

Thanks for the snippets!  I really like the idea of the Doo Wop song.  Too bad they hit those flat notes.  The base parts, however, are super.  It sounds like straight out of New York in late 1956 or early '57.  Takes me back to my early teens.  Which Shrine group sang that one?

Social source share

I've had mine for over a week, maybe two but I'm moving house and everything is in storage.  I opened it today and the look and feel is just as you would expect, QUALITY!  Decks are out of storage and will be set up tomorrow, these will be on the decks.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)

Agree, the packaging and the booklet, everything, looks lovely, but, 4 of my records have dish warp - they play but they’re going back.

Edited by Devlam
Typo
Social source share

15 hours ago, Chalky said:

I've had mine for over a week, maybe two but I'm moving house and everything is in storage.  I opened it today and the look and feel is just as you would expect, QUALITY!  Decks are out of storage and will be set up tomorrow, these will be on the decks.

I've been playing mine and very happy with the quality of the whole package. Enjoy them when you get the chance Chalky!

13 hours ago, Devlam said:

Agree, the packaging and the booklet, everything, looks lovely, but, 4 of my records have dish warp - they play but they’re going back.

Sorry to hear that - I hope you get it sorted without too much hassle.

Social source share

On 28/05/2024 at 11:15, Seano said:

Sorry to hear that - I hope you get it sorted without too much hassle.

Replacement arrived, all good and great service from Ace records team.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!