• Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

No do, the more the merrier thumbsup.gif

Womack is my Main Man.

Had to wrestle him off the front of my car one night in Manchester.

And I won!

Can't fault this particular Womack track.

The unreleased "Runaway" which was, sadly, left off The Poet LP.

If you want to hear it in full... I'll see you at the PITCHES Party at Prestatyn!

Here's a taster!

:)

Sean

PS: Also, can't believe nobody mentioned "I Don't Wanna Be Hurt By Your Love Again".

Only one of the top 10 Soul records of all time!

:(

Social source share

Guest soulville

So many gems. How about "never let nothing get the best of you" or "sto before we start, " is this the tjanks I get" from his best LP Pieces. Or " It's a mans world" with Jeanie Tracy, or Back for more with Lulu, The one woth Mica Paris is OK, ............" Im in love" from Fly me., so so many. Anbody who doesn't like Womack doesn't like soul . Simple.

George

Social source share

A one artist tread could be thin but in this case I sujest not. Let be having you fav tracks, sound files, and memories of see him, hearing tracks played out etc.

Let the conversion begin. God with a guitar on one hand, and a man with a dark side.

My thoughts on Womack.........................

My brother got me into him and wants me to play 'Fly Me to The Moon ' at his funeral...

I saw his first appearence in this country at the Hammersmith Odean in 1976...he was fantastic but it was far from a Soul show. If I remember rightly UA had advised to cut back on the singing and just play!! He traded licks all night with two other lead guitatists including Charles Fullilove. Ian Macglagen from the Faces was on keyboards.

Favourite album ... 'Facts Of Life'

Always thought 'The Poet'' and 'Poet II' were overated..sorry unsure.gif

Love the melody and performance on 'Harry Hippy' .. but what the f**k is it about!! BW is a bit of a dead beat himself :(

One of my favourite tracks by him is the gospel version of 'Looking For A Love' - 'Couldn't Hear Anyone Pray' by the Womack Brothers (pre Valentinos) .. he must 16 to 18 years old and never sounded better

Mike

Social source share

Womack is my Main Man.

Had to wrestle him off the front of my car one night in Manchester.

And I won!

Can't fault this particular Womack track.

The unreleased "Runaway" which was, sadly, left off The Poet LP.

If you want to hear it in full... I'll see you at the PITCHES Party at Prestatyn!

Here's a taster!

:)

Sean

PS: Also, can't believe nobody mentioned "I Don't Wanna Be Hurt By Your Love Again".

Only one of the top 10 Soul records of all time!

rolleyes.gif

Was this the accetate off ebay ??

Dont Suposose you would pm me a full mp3 :(

Edited by miff
Social source share

Was this the accetate off ebay ??

Dont Suposose you would pm me a full mp3 :(

Same record Miff

Sean played it at our Soul Spectrum do in January, sounded great played out & can't wait to hear it on the big sound system at Prestatyn on Saturday.

While i'm on here can i just remind members not to post full mp3's & to use the clip player.

Seans clip is ok as it's only a snippet but there's loads on the 1st page that i'm going to have to delete.

Mart...

Social source share

Guest Adam G

I got his autobiography for Christmas the opening chapter tells of his then wife Barbara who was Sam Cookes widow shoots him through his garage door after finding him in bed with his step daughter Linda who later married his brother and formed Womack and womack...she was 16 according to the book.

Apart from the book showing him to be a bit weird he has produced some wonderfull pieces of music.

Give it up

So many sides of you

Trust your heart

roads of life

dont want to be hurt by youre love again

and on and on theres a vast volume of work.

He has done some stinkers though.I just wish he didnt want to be the extra rolling stone musically sometimes.

another interesting thing from the book.

He describes a Cocaine dealler who supplied Barbara with drugs and wanted to be a singer she persuaded Bobby to write and produce a song for him.

He intimates that the title was a play on the guys illegal activities

The singer/dealer was Gene Taylor and the tune "You got my nose wide open"

strange eh

Social source share

Give this love a try pt 1 & 2 - june yamagishi feat bobby womack - meldac

16101 refosoul

Great record, I remember Searling used to play this off a cd import.

I never had a cd player at the time.

Did this get a general release vinyl or cd ? Sorry I've been out of the loop too long.

Social source share

My thoughts on Womack.........................

My brother got me into him and wants me to play 'Fly Me to The Moon ' at his funeral...

I saw his first appearence in this country at the Hammersmith Odean in 1976...he was fantastic but it was far from a Soul show. If I remember rightly UA had advised to cut back on the singing and just play!! He traded licks all night with two other lead guitatists including Charles Fullilove. Ian Macglagen from the Faces was on keyboards.

Favourite album ... 'Facts Of Life'

Always thought 'The Poet'' and 'Poet II' were overated..sorry :D

Love the melody and performance on 'Harry Hippy' .. but what the f**k is it about!! BW is a bit of a dead beat himself :rolleyes:

One of my favourite tracks by him is the gospel version of 'Looking For A Love' - 'Couldn't Hear Anyone Pray' by the Womack Brothers (pre Valentinos) .. he must 16 to 18 years old and never sounded better

Mike

I always thought Harry Hippie was about his brother Harry Womack ? Anyone know ? Best ,Eddie

Social source share

I always thought Harry Hippie was about his brother Harry Womack ? Anyone know ? Best ,Eddie

I knew it was about his brother - I didn't mean it literally- just strange (and a bit corny) lyrics - seems to be taking the moral high ground - kettle calling the frying pan grimy arse if you ask me!!

Mike

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Daylight - bobby womack - ua

16204 refosoul

Seems to be getting a few spins here and there in recent times - can't fall off for a fiver :thumbsup:

How anyone can play the Georgie Fame stab at it over this version beggers belief!

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Having problems tonight will try later, could be the bottle of Pinot ?

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

How anyone can play the Georgie Fame stab at it over this version beggers belief!

Bloody tell me about it !

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

Love TRUST ME,needs playing at more adventurous nites!!!.

Also lovin still,,,,,DAYLIGHT.

SORRY GOT NO SOUNBITES,,,SOMEONE HELP ME OUT :thumbsup:

I PLAY 'TRUST ME' REGULARLY..PLAYED IT AT 'SOUL REVOLUTION' TOP TUNE :thumbsup:
Social source share

I think BW is kinda an acquired taste. I never used to like him. The first song of his I heard was Harry Hippy and I thought it was rubbish (still do!). However, I've really grown to appreciate his talents and the sheer volume of great songs he's given us. One of the all time greats for sure.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is "Cant'cha Hear The Children Calling" on MCA. Haven't got a clip to put up unfortunately.

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

Allright Gavin,Must admit Surprise,surprise is my favourite womack track.Picked it up on a 12 with If You Think Your Lonely now on flipCheers.Sid thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Been playing Bobby Womack stuff for the last two nights as a result of this thread. The diversity of his music, his voice range and style is awesome. From silky smooth tenor stuff down to deep, deep, billy goat gruff stuff!

I've had a great couple of evenings - cooking paella, sipping Chianti - and Bobby blasting out.

Not converted yet? As Bobby himself would say - I don't understand it!

Great stuff.

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Love this thread, I reckon Bobby womack has to be the hardest working soul singer ... what a selection of tunes.... one track i am enjoying and playing out quite a bit is his 1993 outing with LULU ! " I,m back for more" on dome 12"( sorry can,t send clip)

Pete morgan

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

I can understand it pt1 - valentinos - clean

16103 refosoul

Much prefer the solo version on United Artists whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Allright Gavin,Must admit Surprise,surprise is my favourite womack track.Picked it up on a 12 with If You Think Your Lonely now on flipCheers.Sid thumbsup.gif

Quality my friend

Social source share

personal fav - "You're Welcome To Stop On By" Bobby Womack, which I believe is the original version right? Also covered by Bobby Bird and Marva Whitney?? Right? Momie?

anyways.. "You're Welcome to Stop on by" personal fav!

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

personal fav - "You're Welcome To Stop On By" Bobby Womack, which I believe is the original version right? Also covered by Bobby Bird and Marva Whitney?? Right? Momie?

anyways.. "You're Welcome to Stop on by" personal fav!

Yes is the original, C Khan version is great as well

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Guest Gary Thomas

Great thread. A great tune not mentioned here and seldom mentioned generally, is the killer ballad "The Roots In Me" from the "Roads Of Life" lp.

Social source share

Guest soulville

Too many.........but how about "Is this the thanks I get, stop before we start, never let nothing get the best of you, party time all from Pieces which I think is his most consistent LP. What about "I'ts a mand's world" with Jeanie Tracy or The one with Mica Paris, Take me has already been mentioned but its is a cracking tune. Anybody who does't like womack doesn't like soul. Simple.

I saw him in the playhouse in edinburgh in the 80s and he was awesome they had to pull him of the stage. a real soul man. Gonna get his biog. Hope he can remember what he got up to with sly. I have an interview he did for a tv show in the 80s (ebony?) he is a great storyteller, very funny. he sings a couple of tunes inc can't cha hear the children calling... wonderful stuff.

george

Social source share

Anybody who does't like womack doesn't like soul. Simple.

Gonna get his biog. Hope he can remember what he got up to with sly.

george

I'm with you George. I love Bobby Womack and I have all his LP's, but I WON'T BUY his bio.

Unfortunately, everything I heard about it -from different sources- didn't make me want to get it.

Here is a clip of Bobby & Patti Labelle :

love has finally come at last

Social source share

Guest soulville

I supposeit would be hard to rember if you were spaced. I thoygh it looke d a bit thin. I'll wait until the library get it. Pity really as he jas been aroubd a while and must have a some stories to tell.

What have you heard about it?

George

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert