Puzzled By Prices?

Guest the dukester

Guest the dukester

How come record prices vary so much when 2 artists do a version of the same tune...one might be £150 the other £25???

EG...

BETTY MOORER/IMPALAS

SHANE MARTIN/JIM WEBB

DARRELL BANKS/DONI BURDICK

WADE FLEMMONS/SUSAN MAUGHAN

To name a few,

It cant be down to taste can it, cos each person likes different versions,.....Rarity??? Dont know cos some are not that rare.

Just an observation thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

In the cases of Wade Flemmons and Betty Moorer I totally understand it, especially since the falsetto lead on Impalas "Speed Up" seems to get on most peoples nerves. Darrell has always been cheaper and easier than Doni, hasn't it? Apart from the fact that it's rarer, it's strange that Doni goes for so much considering that Darrell's has got a far superior vocal (IMO ofcourse... :thumbsup: ). Very strange with the Shane Martin though, the Jimmy Webb version has got a punchier, moodier arrangement and better vocals, and it's still a £5 record. :thumbsup: He's one of my all-time favourite song writers and most of his own recordings are superb as well. :unsure:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest mel brat

In the cases of Wade Flemmons and Betty Moorer I totally understand it, especially since the falsetto lead on Impalas "Speed Up" seems to get on most peoples nerves. Darrell has always been cheaper and easier than Doni, hasn't it? Apart from the fact that it's rarer, it's strange that Doni goes for so much considering that Darrell's has got a far superior vocal (IMO ofcourse... rolleyes.gif ). Very strange with the Shane Martin though, the Jimmy Webb version has got a punchier, moodier arrangement and better vocals, and it's still a £5 record. :thumbsup: He's one of my all-time favourite song writers and most of his own recordings are superb as well. :thumbsup:

Yes, Jimmy Webb has quite a pedigree. I actually LOVE "Wichita Lineman" and "McCarthur Park", (though some people appear to hate the latter song with a passion!) - though I'm not a big fan of "By The Tme I Get To Phoenix" - even by Doris Duke or Isaac Hayes! However, he arranged and produced the classic "Sunshower" album for Thelma Houston and also an album on the Supremes in 1972.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Yes, Jimmy Webb has quite a pedigree. I actually LOVE "Wichita Lineman" and "McCarthur Park", (though some people appear to hate the latter song with a passion!) - though I'm not a big fan of "By The Tme I Get To Phoenix" - even by Doris Duke or Isaac Hayes! However, he arranged and produced the classic "Sunshower" album for Thelma Houston and also an album on the Supremes in 1972.

That Supremes LP sure is superb! :thumbsup: "5'30 Plane"... what a PERFECT tune! GIVE IT TO ME!!! I love most of the Jimmy Webb tunes which Glen Campbell recorded. Glen's "Reunion" LP from the mid-70s, almost entirely produced and written by Jimmy, is great! Have you heard Jimmy's own version of "Mixed-Up Guy"? Sorry, I'm rambling, but I could go on... rolleyes.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

In the cases of Wade Flemmons and Betty Moorer I totally understand it, especially since the falsetto lead on Impalas "Speed Up" seems to get on most peoples nerves. Darrell has always been cheaper and easier than Doni, hasn't it? Apart from the fact that it's rarer, it's strange that Doni goes for so much considering that Darrell's has got a far superior vocal (IMO ofcourse... rolleyes.gif ). Very strange with the Shane Martin though, the Jimmy Webb version has got a punchier, moodier arrangement and better vocals, and it's still a £5 record. :thumbsup: He's one of my all-time favourite song writers and most of his own recordings are superb as well. :thumbsup:

The fantastic male soul vocal group interplay of the Impalas with that fabulous ethereal falsetto lead shades it in favour of the Impalas for me, although I love Betty Moorer too !

Perhaps the classic example of the far more easily available disc totally destroying the rare release is Patrice Holloway's superb Black Mother Goose on Capitol, which totally kills Sam Nesbitt's constipated vocal, recorded in the laundry-sounding rarity !!!

Social source share

Guest denmac

totally destroying the rare release ??

i agree with the black mother goose assesment but its not rare because of that side.

Social source share

Jimmy Webb wrote a couple of other great Northern tunes - Don Ray Sampson - baby Come back, and The Contessas - I keep on Keepin On, both on the "E" label.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert