Marlena Shaw RIP

RIP the great Marlena Shaw. Always been a big fan but never got to see her live despite her many visits here. I still managed to get an autograph though. Pete Tong put this on a tape in the 80s and it’s my favourite.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Great artist. I associate her primarily as a jazz artist who sometimes crossed over to other genres including soul. Her voice reminds me of Barbara Mason - sexy with a slight break in the inflexion. I'd like to share this Bill Withers cover as more typical of her later work.  

Social source share

On 20/01/2024 at 15:24, Kesalocasoul said:

Thank you for sharing this.  A sad loss.  Here are a couple of my favourites.

Sad news.

Not a bad album which contains one of my all time favorites - I just want this feeling to last @ around 13:21

First heard at Stafford,  Ady Pountain I seem to remember

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Simon T said:

Sad news.

Not a bad album which contains one of my all time favorites - I just want this feeling to last @ around 13:21

First heard at Stafford,  Ady Pountain I seem to remember

Yes, sad news indeed. 

I bought the album you shared when it was released at the time; for the same track. It was an Adam spin as well - Notts Odd Fellows all niters in Leicester.

Peter

Social source share

A Real shame, RIP Marlena Shaw.

One of my favorites is 'I'm Back for More', the below clip has the wrong Lp art, as it was released her Columbia LP 'Acting Up'.  

Also done by Leo's Sunship (Lyons), Al Johnson (Columbia) and Bobby Womack & Lulu (Dome).  Although Marlena's is my favorite one... that intro!!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Was lucky enough to see her perform at one of the early Up North/Southport weekenders ( held at Fleetwood  1989/90?). She was great as you would imagine. She sent one guy who was filming her perform off with a flea in his ear. The Lady was all business.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!