Civil Rights memorabilia

Aside from records, I'm a memorabilia collector of the music industry and US civil rights. A couple of NAACP membership cards I was talking about last week over on Facebook have just arrived via Hermes, with note from Nancy Compton, the lady who sent them. I'll precis things very briefly here, but her late husband's grandmother was quite a woman:

"Maggie Perry Shipman was born in 1903 in Ellaville, Georgia, before moving north to Johnstown, Pensylvania. Her grandparents were slaves in the South. I believe her activity with NAACP most likely began when the mayor attempted to banish all Blacks from Johnstown after a policeman was killed. Maggie refused to leave. She became a minister for the NAACP (the Johnstown Chapter opened in 1961), led very active life here and was well known and regarded. She was a member of Jobs Daughters,  and loaned money to neighbours for those who couldn't afford to borrow from banks. She was a major role model for many in the community, but especially for my husband and her grandchildren. Maggie Shipman died May 14, 1989, age 85." 

420532839_898590388934495_7928627983063915489_n.jpg

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Windlesoul said:

Aside from records, I'm a memorabilia collector of the music industry and US civil rights. A couple of NAACP membership cards I was talking about last week over on Facebook have just arrived via Hermes, with note from Nancy Compton, the lady who sent them. I'll precis things very briefly here, but her late husband's grandmother was quite a woman:

"Maggie Perry Shipman was born in 1903 in Ellaville, Georgia, before moving north to Johnstown, Pensylvania. Her grandparents were slaves in the South. I believe her activity with NAACP most likely began when the mayor attempted to banish all Blacks from Johnstown after a policeman was killed. Maggie refused to leave. She became a minister for the NAACP (the Johnstown Chapter opened in 1961), led very active life here and was well known and regarded. She was a member of Jobs Daughters,  and loaned money to neighbours for those who couldn't afford to borrow from banks. She was a major role model for many in the community, but especially for my husband and her grandchildren. Maggie Shipman died May 14, 1989, age 85." 

420532839_898590388934495_7928627983063915489_n.jpg

Wow Wee! Just look at that. I seem to recall that you were interested in Black American Civil Rights, something I share an interest in.

(Personal Note) My memory is rubbish, but I know you had a book published some time ago, it wasn't regarding this topic, but about artists from a particular area of the US (I think). I did buy a copy at the time and must have it somewhere. You have patience, skill, and great interests. Well done mate. 🤗

That is an amazing post, thank you for sharing.

Peter

😍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Wow Wee! Just look at that. I seem to recall that you were interested in Black American Civil Rights, something I share an interest in.

(Personal Note) My memory is rubbish, but I know you had a book published some time ago, it wasn't regarding this topic, but about artists from a particular area of the US (I think). I did buy a copy at the time and must have it somewhere. You have patience, skill, and great interests. Well done mate. 🤗

That is an amazing post, thank you for sharing.

Peter

😍

Cheers, appreciated. You're probably referring to one of these https://a-nickel-and-a-nail.myshopify.com/search?q=new+windle

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

This one just landed. A 1972 pre-publication press photo of NAACP Executive Director Roy Wilkins; teed up to accompany an article concerning the passage of an "anti" bus(s)ing section in the Education Bill. The general concept behind funded transportation for school pupils from outside districts was to assist in racial integration and aid equal access to education, but the bill that was passed under the Nixon administration actually blocked the use of federal money for this purpose.

IMG_2561.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!