Non-soul artists recording soul music

Non-soul artists recording music that can be classified as "soul" is the topic here. I am asking forum members to come up with as many examples as possible. To get things underway I give you a blue-eyed group that was more of a garage rock or psychedelic pop act, but had that one release...

Peter’s Pipers was a quartet that to my knowledge released only three singles, but all of them in the same year – 1968 – and ”I Don’t Know What You’re Waiting For” (check YouTube link below for audio!) was produced by Dick Corby who also worked with Les McCann, Ad Libs, The Ambers, and most notably produced the Jerry Butler classic ”For Your Precious Love”.

https://youtu.be/8lQrHJO3nR0

Edited by Djmelismo
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Dobber said:

80% of “northern soul” springs to mind 😂

I guess you're right, and there's also a thin line between pop and northern soul sometimes, when even people on this forum argue whether a particular record is soul or just plain pop, especially with the blue-eyed performers. But still, would be nice to see some posts featuring artists who recorded other forms of music apart from that one (1) soul record...lol...

Social source share

Eli Paperboy Reed springs to mind a good effort at a soulful sound. I like his music.                                                   My view is that soul music amplifies the black experience and white singers are just impersonating the sound and are not soul singers. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Davebanks said:

Have been enjoying his version of the Volcanoes Storm Warning on YouTube lately.  
Filmed at "Daryl's House" and has a nice symmetry as Daryl Hall was at Arctic Records at the time the original was recorded.

Seek it out you will not be disappointed.

Dave Banks

Live at Dary, ls house is great Sharon Jones and Toots and the Maytals great sessions 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 hours ago, Davebanks said:

Filmed at "Daryl's House" and has a nice symmetry as Daryl Hall was at Arctic Records at the time the original was recorded.

And further on that Arctic connection, here he's doing Temptones "Girl I Love You" together with Fitz & The Tantrums:

Edited by Sebastian
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

On 15/01/2024 at 11:48, Davebanks said:

Have been enjoying his version of the Volcanoes Storm Warning on YouTube lately.  

Seek it out you will not be disappointed.

Dave Banks

There’s a version of ‘Storm Warning’ by Hall & Oates on a CD I own. The vocal and the drums are top notch IMO

Edited by Dukeofburgundy
Social source share

The Hacienda Brothers had nothing to do with soul but they did have a soulful lead singer in the late Chris Gaffney who could sound very convincing on a soul song.

Edited by Dukeofburgundy
Social source share

Due for a second album that never happened because Jeff Buckley died it was never finished hence the strange lyrics.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!