2024 - New Soul Releases

Another cover from Colemine Records

This time around it's Frank Beverly and The Butlers - Love (Your Pain Goes Deep) written by Billy Jackson 

Release notes below from youtube

Pre-order Kelly's upcoming LP 'A Lover Was Born':

https://colemine.lnk.to/clmn12046

'Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)' is a moving piece of soul music that hits all the right spots. An uptempo northern soul shaker built off a cement rhythm section churning while horns and strings bounce around Finnigan's pleading vocal. With this newest release, elite arrangements and production have become Finnigan's calling card over the last 5 years.

thoughts?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Mike said:

Another cover from Colemine Records

This time around it's Frank Beverly and The Butlers - Love (Your Pain Goes Deep) written by Billy Jackson 

Release notes below from youtube

Pre-order Kelly's upcoming LP 'A Lover Was Born':

https://colemine.lnk.to/clmn12046

'Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)' is a moving piece of soul music that hits all the right spots. An uptempo northern soul shaker built off a cement rhythm section churning while horns and strings bounce around Finnigan's pleading vocal. With this newest release, elite arrangements and production have become Finnigan's calling card over the last 5 years.

thoughts?

It's good. I always liked the original, though I only had it on the Inferno UK release. 

Social source share

Are record companies running out of ideas, if it all doesn't sound the same it is inferior or no better than the original covers?  Where is all the new dancers, it all seems to be walking pace low rider material or white acts trying to be black.  Has all the unissued material dried up?

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Are record companies running out of ideas, if it all doesn't sound the same it is inferior or no better than the original covers?  Where is all the new dancers, it all seems to be walking pace low rider material or white acts trying to be black.  Has al;l the unissued material dried up?

Some of his stuff is really good and sounds original , but is this meant just to be another cover , aimed at a much younger audience who perhaps have never heard the original? Or an homage to the original? 

Or has Chalky asks have have they run out of ideas , be interesting to ask Kelly .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Are record companies running out of ideas, if it all doesn't sound the same it is inferior or no better than the original covers?  Where is all the new dancers, it all seems to be walking pace low rider material or white acts trying to be black.  Has al;l the unissued material dried up?

Fair comment. I did think Michelle David & the True-Tones hit a decent pace with 'Good, Good, Good' a couple of years ago:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

one thing I noticed with these release notes was the lack of any mention/credit of the original versions artist or indeed the writer (Frank Beverly and The Butlers / Billy Jackson ) in any of the bumf doing the rounds, that's a bit off imo

• Up vote 3
Social source share

a clutch of recents

Paul Kelly --you make me tremble --on Soul for real  sounds a bit like Lenny Williams

Glass Pyramid --stop it --on PPU an obscure eighties boogie track

The Entertains-- I'll answer you with love --on soul junction

Montefiori Cocktail --gypsy woman --on groove culture-- ital jazz funk

Erica Falls --up / makings of love --both sides sublime from those Izipho guys

Woodfield road allstars-- Big shot --for a bit of retro Reggae

Social source share

On 24/08/2024 at 09:48, Mike said:

one thing I noticed with these release notes was the lack of any mention/credit of the original versions artist or indeed the writer (Frank Beverly and The Butlers / Billy Jackson ) in any of the bumf doing the rounds, that's a bit off imo

https://www.coleminerecords.com/products/kelly-finnigan-a-lover-was-born 

It does mention his influences, but not the artists originally involved, which I find very strange, but nostalgia plays a major part in this project.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

blurb

'Magic in Threes are back with a mind mending, strings-laden disco masterpiece, "Liquid Start Duster". On the flipside we have "Sippin' After Midnight", an auditory tale of late night shenanigans. These two majestic bangers make up a hard hitting 7" 45 out on G.E.D. Soul Records.

link for preorder

https://www.gedsoulrecords.com/product-page/magic-in-threes-liquid-star-duster-b-w-sippin-after-midnight

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!