2023 - Look Back in... Soul Releases

Mike

As we are currently in that sort of 'reflective' 'what am I gonna do now' middle period of the Xmas Holidays ('Boxing week' is a term that I heard recently and fits quite well), the thinking here is that a couple of look back topics on the year just gone may help the wait for New Year go a bit faster

So first off to make a start, offer up a '2023 Soul Releases' one

Talking about 2023 notable soul related releases, such as 2023 45s, digital singles, albums, books and so on

Quite a wide scope for the first look back one, a couple of others to follow, just after any notable (for any reason) soul 2023 releases from ya

Over to the floor....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Mike said:

As we are currently in that sort of 'reflective' 'what am I gonna do now' middle period of the Xmas Holidays ('Boxing week' is a term that I heard recently and fits quite well), the thinking here is that a couple of look back topics on the year just gone may help the wait for New Year go a bit faster

Talking about 2023 notable soul related releases, such as 2023 45s, digital singles, albums, books and so on

Quite a wide scope for the first look back one, a couple of others to follow, just after any notable (for any reason) soul 2023 releases from ya

Over to the floor....

this 2023 digital release got me going in May

looks like got a 45 release this month 300 copies via

https://funknight.bigcartel.com/product/fnr-226

• Up vote 2
Social source share

This one did come out on CD way back in 2000 (Cut in 1970) but the vinyl release has been my favorite track in the second half of 23 🙂 also liked that Jonny Benavidez & Cold Diamond & Mink - Do What You Wanna Do... & Wolfgang Valbrun - Cyclone, do love a bit of 'Wolfie' !

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Mal C said:

This one did come out on CD way back in 2000 (Cut in 1970) but the vinyl release has been my favorite track in the second half of 23 🙂 also liked that Jonny Benavidez & Cold Diamond & Mink - Do What You Wanna Do... & Wolfgang Valbrun - Cyclone, do love a bit of 'Wolfie' !

Talking of Jonny Benavidez & Cold Diamond Mink one that doesn’t seem to have got picked up on from early 2023 that I like a lot.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

a brief flurry of posts on day 1, thanks all

day 2 ...

20 hours ago, Mike said:

Over to the floor....

notable soul releases of 2023...

anymore for any more...

Social source share

There's been some great releases this year, hard to keep up at times if like me you rely on this site and notifications from various on line retailers and one mate who buys new releases, I don't do Faceache. Just bought one of the tunes mentioned above and tempted by a couple of others. One I've enjoyed this year. Cheers Mike, timely thread, keep up the good work best to you and the team.

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On the Modern side, I liked Ed Motta's LP, which featured tracks like, Slumberland, Safely Far, both great laid back 2023 releases... think the video on 'Safely Far' was done to cash in on the Barbie film, awful video..

Also, I loved the 'Harlem Gospel travellers' Lp in late 22, they have had few new tracks in 23, inc 'Help Me To Understand' which is a really nice Impressions Esq slowie, great group.

One of my favorite bands 'DeRobert & Half Truths' have been quiet since their '100 yard Dash' Lp, but they have had 'Judgement' come out which is a new cut of this song, super fast one too, their other 23 releases are all 45's from their last Lp... if you get what I mean. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Wow, many great tunes posted so far

I don't wanna fill up this thread with even more YT vids so I just list my favourite 2023 tunes:

* Lee Fields - Waiting on the sideline - this was already mentioned, probably my #1 for 2023. Great lyrics, melody and backing track. A lovely gem.

* Both of Julian Jonah 45s on Izipho

* Gary Beals on LRK - not to keen about the a-side "all of me", backing a bit too odd for me but the flip "self revolution" is a strong slowie.

* Night Owls - Didn't I - great reggae take on the Darondo Pulliam classic

* Thee Marloes - Every 45 by them. Soulful Indonesia

* Carmichael Musiclover on LRK - Strong doublesider, only way to get on vinyl I understand, A-side quality mid to uptempo 90s sounding dancer, B-side great ballad

* Latasha Lee - I don't want you - already mentioned, quality cover version of the Lovelites.

* Emilia Sisco - Trouble - midtempo crossover-ish sounding from Finland

* Sextones - get their "Love can't be borrowed" LP on Record Kicks! No fillers, just killers.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 30/12/2023 at 17:33, Mike said:

Back in April had this on the kindle

Clean Living Under Difficult Circumstances: A Life In Mod – From the Revival to Acid Jazz by Eddie Piller

later on in the year this book stirred a lot of interest

any other 2023 book release shouts out there?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!