RIP John Baxter

Geoff

My friend John Baxter died last night at his home in Wirral. He had been ill with cancer for over a year.

He was well known on the soul scene, mostly I think in the north of England but also in Scotland and Wales.

I first met John and his wife Barbara at Soul In The Sun and since then we've been friends. He was a fount of knowledge about soul music, but in addition we had many discussions about other subjects. I will miss our talks so much.

So much more I could say but will leave it. I've lost a good friend.

RIP John Baxter

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I've just seen this. Not unexpected of course, but still terrible news.

We went up to see John in mid October and he was in fine form, considering. We first met at Hitsville in Mojacar. John was one of those people you instantly take to and a proper Soulman. The scene will be a slightly emptier place today.

Thinking of Barbara and his lads. God bless you Sir.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Just heard about this. Very sad news indeed. Known John for a while, he always seemed cheerful and pleased to see you. He was very well respected, and very well liked on the Soul scene. And i’m sure he will be missed by all who knew him.  Memories of his wit and outlook on life.

Thoughts are with his wife Barbara and family.

R.I.P. JOHN

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Heard the sad news from Ian Melville last night, although I didn't really know him to speak to I knew him from Soul in the Sun and he was always there and in PJ's in Tenerife when SITS was on.
Heard many lovely stories about him and knew he was fondly thought of by many. Sad loss. 

Social source share

I've been asked to post the details for John's funeral;-

This Friday, 19th January 12'0'clock at

St Barnabas Church

Bromborough Village

CH62 7AA

Followed by Bromborough Hotel/Pub (approx 5 minutes walk away)

Edited by Julianb
forgot date
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!