Books talk,what are you reading?

Twoshoes

I wouldn't claim to be an avid reader quantity wise, probably read two books a month. What would you consider a must read, an author you find consistently good, have you read anything that had great reviews that you found disappointing , what are you currently reading, what are your reading habits. 

To kick things off I have always been a reader, I used to read a lot more than I do now but have over the last year rediscovered  the joy of a good book, being immersed in someone else's imagination. I tend to avoid Sci Fi, Horror and to some extent historical unless recommended. I don't usually read books by best selling widely popular authors like Lee Childs though there are exceptions one being William Boyd, his Any Human heart would be one of my recommended books to read, the first of his I read and slowly working through his other books. I haven't read one that i haven't enjoyed and like to read one of his every three books. 

I was about to start one of Boyd's when I found Bob Mortimer's The Satsuma Complex in a local animal sanctuary bookshop, decided a bit of light relief was in order after reading The Island Of Lost Trees and The Couple Next Door changed tack and started Bob's book as I enjoy his comedy.

Hopefully the thread will take off with any book related talk

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Going through a few old James Herbert books- newish to me bit of a UK Stephen King but not too OTT fiction wise. Read this week Magic Cottage - 7/10, the magic carpet - 6/10, Secret of Crickley Hall - Not to bad halfway through maybe a 7/10.

LOL no Magic carpet by JH - said he's new to me.  Before them re-read Weaveworld by Clive Barker - 9/10 fantastic escapism.

Magic carpet by JH doesn't exist so 0/10

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Happy Feet said:

Just finished , Trumpet by Janet Kay , about a Jazz Trumpet player called Joss Moody , would make a brilliant movie ,,, I'm saying no more wouldn't want to spoil it for anybody , good bedtime read 

Gosh Dave, books are for trying to get away from music - you don't want a book about music? 🤔 LOL sounds intriguing though so I'm looking it up as we speak

Dax

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Cheers chaps for the replies,  I will be checking out the books mentioned. I've bought quite a few of the books featured on Between the Covers and the Book Show on Sky. I do prefer personal recommendations rather than going off the blurb on the back of books. 

1 hour ago, Soul Salad said:

you don't want a book about music? 

unless that book is The Vinyl Detective ,Written in the Deadwax by Andrew Cartmels, 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Cheers chaps for the replies,  I will be checking out the books mentioned. I've bought quite a few of the books featured on Between the Covers and the Book Show on Sky. I do prefer personal recommendations rather than going off the blurb on the back of books. 

unless that book is The Vinyl Detective ,Written in the Deadwax by Andrew Cartmels, 

WOW, new to me - defo on my Christmas list!😀

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

The others are ok, just not as good as his first one

I will certainly give you my feedback once I've read all - i should've just ordered them myself.

PS Ive read some really strange (but classic) books this year - JAWS, The Fog, Weave world and re-read Da Vinci code LOL and The beach LOL

Social source share

Reading two books at the moment which is not unusual --sometimes I will have three on the go . For over ten years I have read/re-read a Dickens classic , this year is Martin Chuzzlewhit . Though he liked to put in a hundred words were now ten would do - this critique of greed and selfishness could be written to-day . In contrast I am reading Memphis by Mike Hambrick which is a 'factional' story about a Dj uncovering the conspiracy to kill Martin Luther King .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I started reading avidly again through lockdown for obvious reasons and have just continued. I enjoyed a 'classic in Nathaniel Hawthorne's 'The Scarlet Letter'. It had been on the bookshelf unread for at least twenty years. I'd also recommend Hans Fallada's 'Alone in Berlin', a disturbing thriller about a dissident German living in pre-War Nazi Germany. A testament to some of the most sombre events of the 20th century.

Obviously my non-fiction reading reflects my passions and current fads so won't be of interest to many. Just finished an interesting biography of Charlie Wood called 'Our Honest Charlie Wood'. Wood was champion flat jockey in the 1890s so we are talking a niche interest. I read a fair few racing biographies having had a love of racing since my youth.  Similarly niche but very good was a biography of the artist Gwen John by Alicia Foster. Will finish this week 'The Robin: A Biography' by Stephen Moss, a delightful history of the Robin Redbreast within our culture with the life cycle and physiology all added.

Best History book that I've read recently is George Goodwin's 'Fatal Colours' , about the events leading to the bloodiest battle of The War of The Roses. It is estimated that in 1461 up to 28,000 soldiers were killed at Towton Moor. Goodwin is a great writer of history and is able to communicate the thoughts of the medieval mind.  

Steve Guarnori's quite brilliant  history of the All Platinum label is a must for any soul fan. My copy is all ready well thumbed. Steve has included a comprehensive discography including some obscure Irish and European releases but it's the excellent anecdotes that I've enjoyed. I'll be meeting Stevie G in a few weeks and will encourage him to write another tome. Retirement clearly suits him.

Thanks for the recommendations thus far.

Happy Christmas

Edited by Dukeofburgundy
comprehension
Social source share

20 hours ago, Dukeofburgundy said:

Hans Fallada's 'Alone in Berlin

Brilliant book and also a good film which begs the question to all would you rather read the book then see the film, wouldn't bother with the film once you've read the book or visa versa.

My experience of that has gone both ways, loved the film October Sky but had read the book first, the film enhanced the book in so much as it gave a picture of the place where the boys grew up. Further to that just the other month I found a book by Homer Hickman in a local charity shop telling the true story of the making of the film which was a very interesting read. I read Where the Crawdads Sing and thought it was brilliant then saw the film with Lou which wasn't a patch on the book in my opinion. Watched the tv series My Brilliant Friend and recently read the first book with the other three waiting on the to be read shelf, found the book a beautiful read but couldn't get the visual of the characters in the tv series out of my mind and found myself reliving scenes rather than my imagination creating the pictures in my mind.

Non fiction wise a wonderful read if you like football is The Greatest  Footballer You Never Saw, I read it many years ago when some of the names mentioned  where still fresh in the memory especially if you watched lower league football. It's the story of Robin Friday who played for Reading.

Again non fiction picked up this week The Secret Life of Trees, hoe they live and why they matter by Colin Tudge, which looks interesting, anyone read it?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

It took me ages to get through it, but it's very interesting. It's about the victims of Jack the Ripper, but does not speculate on the ID of JTR or details of their grisly end, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's an in depth look their lives and  the circumstances that led to them to ending up   in the wrong place at the wrong time.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/434594/the-five-by-rubenhold-hallie/9781784162344

9781784162344-jacket-large.jpg

Edited by Hippo
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 14:07, Dukeofburgundy said:

I started reading avidly again through lockdown for obvious reasons and have just continued. I enjoyed a 'classic in Nathaniel Hawthorne's 'The Scarlet Letter'. It had been on the bookshelf unread for at least twenty years. I'd also recommend Hans Fallada's 'Alone in Berlin', a disturbing thriller about a dissident German living in pre-War Nazi Germany. A testament to some of the most sombre events of the 20th century.

Obviously my non-fiction reading reflects my passions and current fads so won't be of interest to many. Just finished an interesting biography of Charlie Wood called 'Our Honest Charlie Wood'. Wood was champion flat jockey in the 1890s so we are talking a niche interest. I read a fair few racing biographies having had a love of racing since my youth.  Similarly niche but very good was a biography of the artist Gwen John by Alicia Foster. Will finish this week 'The Robin: A Biography' by Stephen Moss, a delightful history of the Robin Redbreast within our culture with the life cycle and physiology all added.

Best History book that I've read recently is George Goodwin's 'Fatal Colours' , about the events leading to the bloodiest battle of The War of The Roses. It is estimated that in 1461 up to 28,000 soldiers were killed at Towton Moor. Goodwin is a great writer of history and is able to communicate the thoughts of the medieval mind.  

Steve Guarnori's quite brilliant  history of the All Platinum label is a must for any soul fan. My copy is all ready well thumbed. Steve has included a comprehensive discography including some obscure Irish and European releases but it's the excellent anecdotes that I've enjoyed. I'll be meeting Stevie G in a few weeks and will encourage him to write another tome. Retirement clearly suits him.

Thanks for the recommendations thus far.

Happy Christmas

Funnily enough lockdown put me off reading I used to read one or two books a month since lock down can’t seem to get back into it but I have got about 50 books on my kindle ready to go at.

Social source share

Rosemary Bailey , Life in a Postcard , escape to the french Pyrenees , 

We spent a few years down in Languedoc, and the Pyrenees in the 90s , building in some lovely picturesque places , La Radote & Corneilla-de-Conflent spring to mind , the latter only 22km. from where Rosemary was based , we where in the foothills of Mt. Canigou , spectacular but very dangerous at times weather wise , worth a read .

Social source share

Rarely of late have I not finished a book but after struggling through 250 pages of David Mitchel's Cloud Atlas I cannot summon the will to read another 250 pages. No question it is a very cleverly written book, the way he switches the way the characters speak must have taken him an age to write yet I have found it a very hard read. I'm sure at some point it would all come together as various threads crop up in later chapters but my head is spinning. Maybe it's a step up beyond my intellectual level I don't know.

I never like to leave a book unfinished but sadly there are large parts of this one where I just haven't enjoyed the reading experience. Has anyone had a similar feeling over a book you haven't finished for one reason or another?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/12/2023 at 17:43, Eddie Hubbard said:

“ Do Not Sell At Any Cost “ b

Thanks for the recommendation, just finished the book, I enjoyed it though I did find small sections of it a bit deep intellectually . Never the less a fascinating read, I enjoyed looking up the tunes mentioned intending to work my way slowly over time through the discography listed at the end of the  book. 

It also reminded me of when I was around fourteen I bought a wind up gramaphone  from a school fair ,my mate then got one from his Grandad and four or five of us for a few months used to meet up playing all sorts of weird stuff we'd found in second hand shops until the novelty wore off and soul music took over. Funny how memory works, I just remembered the other attraction of going to his house, his mum was pretty fit in a Bridgette Bardot kind of way and no husband on the scene, oh the fantasies  the rest of us dreamt up. He wouldn't have been happy 😇

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Thanks for the recommendation, just finished the book, I enjoyed it though I did find small sections of it a bit deep intellectually . Never the less a fascinating read, I enjoyed looking up the tunes mentioned intending to work my way slowly over time through the discography listed at the end of the  book. 

It also reminded me of when I was around fourteen I bought a wind up gramaphone  from a school fair ,my mate then got one from his Grandad and four or five of us for a few months used to meet up playing all sorts of weird stuff we'd found in second hand shops until the novelty wore off and soul music took over. Funny how memory works, I just remembered the other attraction of going to his house, his mum was pretty fit in a Bridgette Bardot kind of way and no husband on the scene, oh the fantasies  the rest of us dreamt up. He wouldn't have been happy 😇

Glad you enjoyed it ,the friends mum piece made me laugh 😆 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!