Shrine Records Article In Washigton Post

Guest uroffal

Guest uroffal

Apologies if this has been posted before, but came accross this whilst looking for some info I need on Shrine Records. It's an article from The Washington Post dated 2003 with some nice quotes from some the artists involved and some info I've not seen before:

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest uroffal

great stuff uroffal :thumbsup: hope to see you tonite at lowton

steve T

Think you might have mixed me up with someone else - I don;t even know where Lowton is :yes:

No probs though - glad you liked the article :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Wow - a really tear-jerking account of the label! How awful also, to learn that there is only one surviving member of the Cautions.

It is very well written and very moving in places (brought a tear to my eye anyway). Also sad that Shirley Edwards refuses to discuss her time there, particularly as she made - what I consider to be - one of the finest records of all time.

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I really enjoyed reading that, just shows the passion Andy Rix had for finding and sharing all this info for some of my favourite tunes ever, this is the type of thing that just makes me want Northern Soul even more and reminds me of what the scene is really all about, discovering rare soul by great artists.

Superb :lol:

Social source share

dunno if old hat but if havent stumbled across them before on here

there's couple of shrine related articles in articles bit

inc one by andy rix - the original draft of the cd notes, and also a alternative view

search takes you there

Social source share

Apologies if this has been posted before, but came accross this whilst looking for some info I need on Shrine Records. It's an article from The Washington Post dated 2003 with some nice quotes from some the artists involved and some info I've not seen before:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?p...p;notFound=true

Fantastic article. The juxtapostion of black American soul artists who think their careers have been for nowt and a load of fantatical white British people who seek and revere (and dance) to , as Ady Croadsell says, the b side to their biggest flops, is a facinating one. It's like we've all been having a 30 year odd party to their creations but nobody has told them! Would make a great film!

Social source share

dunno if old hat but if havent stumbled across them before on here

there's couple of shrine related articles in articles bit

inc one by andy rix - the original draft of the cd notes, and also a alternative view

search takes you there

Yep remember reading that and didn't Dan post the same Washington Post article on here?

Remember reading that just after we'd got back from DC a few weeks ago..........stayed at the Washington Plaza hotel...address?

10 Thomas Circle NW.........................Shrine records studio address? ....3 Thomas Circle NW !!!!!!!

Did I walk past that hallowed ground without knowing? Maybe... could also be that the Plaza hotel now stands on the Shrine site.

Did I sleep above those memories?

Agree with all the previous postings BTW........ great article.
:thumbsup:

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert