World Northern Soul Dance Championship: Info please

Paul-s

3 minutes ago, Paul-s said:

Update>

No reply from Kev R regarding the questions about the 'World' in the title of the dance competition.

So, the speculation and deduction must continue I guess.

Is the Blackpool tower dance competition the only recognised competition? If so,then maybe it warrants the title? Equally and more likely is that very little thought went into the title because I would imagine 99.9% of the people there couldn’t care less😂

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

He's probably deep in conference with his legal eagles ... :rolleyes: :lol: :wicked:

More like he’s embarrassed by the criticism and hoping things will blow over by the time of the next one. If he has any real insight into the situation, he’d scrap it and put on a live act or give the slot to some up-and-coming young DJ. We’ve probably all been asked to fill in some questionnaire about a course taken or service at the checkout - my view is that management should be able to judge how things went without asking dumb questions...so Kev should know whether it was a resounding success to be repeated in future or given the heave-ho as there’s insufficient talent to make up a great competition...

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Recently re-watched Elaine's Constantine's movie, with my son. I noted the disdain the characters give to a friend who wins the dance competition. 'dance competition! It's like Butlins' they exclaim. Was this your input Paul? Was that a true sentiment from the time? I have only a few vague memories of dance competitions in the 80's, generally thinking it killed the atmosphere at nighters, but saw it as just a part of the scene. 

Edited by Geeselad
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 27/11/2023 at 16:40, Dobber said:

Is the Blackpool tower dance competition the only recognised competition? If so,then maybe it warrants the title? Equally and more likely is that very little thought went into the title because I would imagine 99.9% of the people there couldn’t care less😂

What do you mean by recognised? By who? 

Social source share

15 hours ago, Dobber said:

I just wondered if Blackpool is simply known or regarded as the only yearly competition? If there aren’t any others then I suppose there title is justified 

Not sure I understand?

For it to be a World title, you would need to have a representation of dancers from other countries, invites sent out, qualified judges, a federation, rotating locations etc: not just the absence of other competitions.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Paul-s said:

Not sure I understand?

For it to be a World title, you would need to have a representation of dancers from other countries, invites sent out, qualified judges, a federation, rotating locations etc: not just the absence of other competitions.

Well to be featured in the Guiness book of records for example all it takes is one single fool doing his own thing...

If this is the sole competition of this category in the whole wide world then they can 'formally' claim the title.

But how can they be certain ? Like I'd wonder if they don't have such things in Japan for example.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

Well to be featured in the Guiness book of records for example all it takes is one single fool doing his own thing...

If this is the sole competition of this category in the whole wide world then they can 'formally' claim the title.

But how can they be certain ? Like I'd wonder if they don't have such things in Japan for example.

Yeah I’m just thinking in the most basic way,lamens terms if you like,I suppose if we knew of other northern soul dance competitions eg Japan, then using the the world title wouldn’t suit! I suspect no thought went into the title description at all and I doubt anybody cares really.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Paul-s said:

Yes, but its time to care. The BBC presenting a mediocre non-northern soul scene dancer as The World Champion, and calling the awful show she is in a cross between 'Phoenix Nights and Northern Soul' says it all. 

No doubt Mr R doesn't care as it seems to be all about product and paypal soul streams. 

For example, when Wigan closed, if a relatively small group of us hadn't cared enough to carry on, week in, week out, truly underground,  travelling miles to support venues, there would be no scene for returnees and online soul curators to swamp and parody.

I care about the roots of this culture and, for me,  it was built on decades of dedication, tenacity and caring enough to maintain connections to the musicians that created it, the vinyl, the dancing, the real souls and a collective understanding that its not all about or 'you' or 'I'.

I often see these online Northern Soul celebrity dancers, filming themselves alone on the dance floor and thats very emblematic really...

👍👍👍👍👍

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Paul-s said:

Yes, but its time to care. The BBC presenting a mediocre non-northern soul scene dancer as The World Champion, and calling the awful show she is in a cross between 'Phoenix Nights and Northern Soul' says it all. 

No doubt Mr R doesn't care as it seems to be all about product and paypal soul streams. 

For example, when Wigan closed, if a relatively small group of us hadn't cared enough to carry on, week in, week out, truly underground,  travelling miles to support venues, there would be no scene for returnees and online soul curators to swamp and parody.

I care about the roots of this culture and, for me,  it was built on decades of dedication, tenacity and caring enough to maintain connections to the musicians that created it, the vinyl, the dancing, the real souls and a collective understanding that its not all about or 'you' or 'I'.

I often see these online Northern Soul celebrity dancers, filming themselves alone on the dance floor and thats very emblematic really...

Well said! It's getting harder to challenge these issues but it has to be done. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Paul-s said:

Excellent post buddy.👍

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!