Paul McKay RIP

Geoff

53 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Just a little while ago I heard the sad news that Paul McKay had died. He had been suffering from pancreatic cancer.

I met Paul in December 2002 at Soul In The City, when it was at the Old Blue Last pub in Great Eastern Street. At the same night I met Dave Greenhill and John Stubbs for the first time too. I'd only just started going out to soul nights again and was a little bit nervous. Paul put me at my ease and we soon were chatting about records. I remember asking him what one was he played and he told me it was James Phelps' Look On Your Face. Funny how things stick in your memory. Helen, later his wife was also there that night.

We have remained friends ever since. When my wife Lesley died in 2005 he was away in Rimini at the weekender there and he phoned me, he was crying. Now I feel like crying for Paul.

So many things I could say, but one of the horrible things about losing a friend is that you can never have those conversations you had with them again.

My thoughts and prayers are with Helen and his family.

RIP Paul McKay.

Thanks for sharing this very sad news Geoff

I met Paul a few times over the years, he was a long time member on here making many contribution to teh forums from 2003 onwards.

My deepest condolences go to all his family and friends

Profile link below

@Paul McKay

Rip Paul

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Very sorry to hear this. I first met Paul at These Old Shoes in the late 90s and used to see him regularly at the London northern (and other) soul dos. Such a lovely bloke - we used to talk about music and football (Charlton & Bromley). He played great sets as a DJ too. He seemed to be making the most of things recently, travelling to a lot of places for breaks. RIP.

Edited by Daved
Social source share

Sad, sad news Geoff and thanks for passing it on.  I hadn't seen Paul for some time, and now I know why.  I'll always remember when I did the 'Soul for Heroes (South)' charity dayer in 2006 Paul unexpectantly presented me with a rather large cheque, courtesy of his work colleagues at the London Metal Exchange.

Always a thoroughly nice guy, on and off the decks.

Condolences to Helen and family.

RIP Paul McKay

Social source share

Sad news indeed, It was only a few weeks ago when I was told  that he was ill and now in end of life care.

I only knew him to speak to a few short years, but did communicate with him online from time to time.

RIP and thoughts going out to Helen and the family.

Edited by John Benson
Social source share

Paul was always on my mailing list, a regular buyer picking up some pretty select stuff from me, always the Gentleman, a pleasure to deal with, and I gained great insight from the side chat that accompanied any , all of a sudden, you wish you’d had the opportunity to say hello, face to face. Thinking of those who were close, Helen, family and friends, thoughts are with you X

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!