Anglo American Auction 19/10/23

Siz Sale

14 hours ago, Mal C said:

Darren @ rare soul 45's had two Moniques (108) for sale in the last 6 or so months, both made £1250 / £1200  respectively. >>HERE<<  So I guess £250 is a snip at a VG>?  It did look pretty nailed, sound was described as acceptable... 

It did have a lot of background noise and the commentary stated the record had been repaired to achieve even that. Still good price

Social source share

37 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

Could it be that some prices change in the last couple of seconds before they disappeared  still a great insight tho

kell Osborn a great record but as people all strive to look for the same records demand isn’t that high.. sold mine around 2015

Thats defo the case Dave,some common records go for silly money while other more scarce pieces that have no demand go quite cheapley.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Shametts went for a decent price. Not seen one of these for sale in a long while. I suspect these auction items are from Tim’s personal collection so he should be fairly pleased with the auction results.

I'm pretty sure not all of them are from Tim's collection, if any.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Shametts went for a decent price. Not seen one of these for sale in a long while. I suspect these auction items are from Tim’s personal collection so he should be fairly pleased with the auction results.

I should imagine Tim didn't have a lot of faith in The Shametts disc, as he had the min offer at £150,yet it sold for £1400+.....

Social source share

1 hour ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

I'm pretty sure not all of them are from Tim's collection, if any.

Maybe not every single one of them but I doubt if Tim has doubles of some of these high-end items. Week after week, Tim’s auctions throw up an eclectic mix of grails, classics, in-demanders, disco-pop etc as though he is selling off his collection...just a guess of course...

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Mgm 1251 said:

I should imagine Tim didn't have a lot of faith in The Shametts disc, as he had the min offer at £150,yet it sold for £1400+.....

Perhaps it was tricky to price up given lack of recent sales. By having a lower than should have been minimum bid, there was plenty of action with bidders plunging in earlier than is often the case.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I can vouch for the fact that not all of these are Tims own reords because I have sent quite a few to him to place in the auction, three of last weeks were mine. I don't think that Tim has any intention of selling his own collection and if he did he would tell everyone. Lets face it noe of us are getting any younger and what will happen to our collections when we are ashes or compost?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Okehdownsouth said:

I can vouch for the fact that not all of these are Tims own reords because I have sent quite a few to him to place in the auction, three of last weeks were mine. I don't think that Tim has any intention of selling his own collection and if he did he would tell everyone. Lets face it noe of us are getting any younger and what will happen to our collections when we are ashes or compost?

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

On 21/10/2023 at 08:24, Okehdownsouth said:

Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected. It looked like a collection was being sold off - other comments confirm Tim’s auction items are indeed from other collections.

Social source share

I can vouch for the fact that it would take Tim a considerable amount of time to sell his own collection.....it is vast.

But.....none of us are here forever and the fact is, in this day and age ( and has been the case for a number of years now ) these records are antiques and as such, a collection is an invaluable nest egg...he told me in 2018, the tipping point is coming very soon where more people start to sell up...that was nearly 6 years ago, and theres been a steady trickle.

Does the market eventually implode?, he dosnt see it happening yet, its dependant on what it does globally, people abroad are still buying...as for the scene that these records created?...the next 5 years is realistically the summit....its stretching the imagination to say 10, particularly for our generation/age group....that would be entirely dependant on the generations we've brought up.

Social source share

I agree with all of your comments. I am 65 and have been collecting soul record since I was 11 years old, got into what came e to be know as Northern Soul when I was barely 13 years old, went to Wigan when I was 15 and still at school, not bad for a lad who lived in Dorset. It just proves that underground soul music wasn't only being played up norf, we had a thriving scene down here.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!