• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest rachel

:lol: partial to the odd beat ballad rach! :thumbsup:

will send up timi for ya lass

steve

Partial? :) You played a big part in getting me listening to this sort of stuff :lol:

Thanks for Timi... love this one... sob....

Social source share

I - major lance - okeh

One from the Major, flip to his "Aint No Soul"

steve

Having never owend the Ant no soul 45, as in my oppinion it is the worst record he ever recorded, I am now going to have to buy it as, I, is really good and I like it, thanks for posting it other wise i would of never heard it thumbsup.gif
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I Need You - chuck jackson - wand

15778 refosoul

No home home should be without Chuck Jackson.

Never have I hear a singer sing with as much ease as Chuck Jackson...control and sophistication of the highest order.

Can I put forward Freddie Scott - Where does love go - Colpix

oh so good.....will only cost you your lunch money

Hopefully someone can post up a soundfile as I'm in imprisioned in work.

Social source share

:thumbsup: Nice one!

got this by someone else.... but cant for the life remember?? (nowt new there for me then! :) )

steve

Loads and loads of versions of this,including modern versions must be one of the most recorded ballards ever i have at least six versions,temps is it?the original.oh and Freddie Scott.

Social source share

A fascinating topic, and one of the areas of the soul scene that's virtually impossible to fully explain to outsiders: I guess all of these records were made for couples to smooch to and it's quite weird to see a floor full of people dancing to records like these on their own.

Personally i think they have a diminishing place as club music for this reason, but the odd one thrown in now and then can sound devastating.

Of those posted so far I must say that I've always thought "I Need You" to be one of Goffin and King's very best songs, and Chuck Jackson's version is pretty nigh unbeatable. The Arthur Alexander on Monument is a stone-cold classic of southern soul music and I must admit to long having had a fondness for Steve Davis's minor classic "Laugh A Little..." it's probably got nothing to do with soul music per-se but fits beautifully into this genre being very well crafted and genuinely emotional.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

FEELINGS - peter james - liberty

AFTER YEARS OF WAITING....I GOT IT.
PICKED IT UP THIS MORNING...£74 CUSTOMS CHARGE....JESUS...I NEARLY PASSED OUT.
BUT I LOVE IT....AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

A fascinating topic, and one of the areas of the soul scene that's virtually impossible to fully explain to outsiders: I guess all of these records were made for couples to smooch to and it's quite weird to see a floor full of people dancing to records like these on their own.

Personally i think they have a diminishing place as club music for this reason, but the odd one thrown in now and then can sound devastating.

Of those posted so far I must say that I've always thought "I Need You" to be one of Goffin and King's very best songs, and Chuck Jackson's version is pretty nigh unbeatable. The Arthur Alexander on Monument is a stone-cold classic of southern soul music and I must admit to long having had a fondness for Steve Davis's minor classic "Laugh A Little..." it's probably got nothing to do with soul music per-se but fits beautifully into this genre being very well crafted and genuinely emotional.

Arthur Alexander is a lovely record Gareth a real top bracket sound.

It's funny how music becomes entangled and inevitably linked. I love beat ballads for virtuallty the same reasons I love Spector and Nitszhe. Echo chambers wistful and sweeping strings. Beat ballads that hit the spot are like rolls of wonderous thunder.

Furthermore to Gareth's "outside the soul " tip can I put forward Lonnie Mack "cryin over you" Fraternity...Great record totally alien to anthing Lonnie Mack had done previous. Beautifully crafted ballad that rumbles along.

Byrdie Green - I deserve It - 20th Century is another wonderful ballad, blimey I could be here all day.

I'll post up a soundfile later hopefully.

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

I always think the beat ballads we all love (some great examples already posted) were trying to emulate both the Drifters (as mentioned) and the Rightous Brothers who as you know had a worldwide hit with " You've lost that loving feeling". Most of our music can be traced back to a hit and the BB is no exception, IMO of course.

Blake

Social source share

Baby Since You Went Away - doug banks -

15832 refosoul Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

lou johnson-would nt that be something.mp3 - -

15822"]

Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

post-2216-1173379541_thumb.jpg

:wub: One of the first records in my collection as my folks picked it up by mistake, in the days when people took records to house parties.

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Guest rachel

Can't be ars*d to read back 90 posts. As anyone posted Dena Johnson ...Breaking Point.....Wild Deuce ?...THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JM

Why you lazy..... :wub: You're missing lots of fabulous tunes :)

Deena Johnson - The Breaking Point

13570 refosoul

Social source share

Small Town Bring Down - tony bruno - capitol

15806 refosoul Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

.... another blue eyed masterpiece imo

steve

Steve, love this so much! Arm flingingly superb actually

IThankYou.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now