The Innersection on GROUP 5

Paul Capon

The Innersection - Let me love yuh / I’m in debt - GROUP 5 RECORDS

My copy has ‘W.S.D’ text under the world logo on the left (which is an acronym for Worldwide Sound Dist.). Discogs notes state this is the first demo release. Can anyone confirm this?

Love the 30p price written on the label - I looked it up and paid £6 from PJ Ludlum in 1992. Was I ripped off!!!!! God I bought some amazing records from him!!!!

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0097.jpeg

Edited by Paul Capon
Edit
Social source share

Dave Thorley kindly provided this information:

W.S.D. Worldwide Sound Distribution were a minority owned business, of which there were many in the 70’s music business. Basically companies that were set up under a scheme to help minority owned business, Mexicans, African American etc, they got start up support and tax breaks. W.S.D. were from  Memphis, Others that come to mind were IRDA from Nashville and Guinness Records out of New Jersey 
Back to your question yes the WSD white labels where the first release demos

Social source share

i may have posted this ( or something with it) before..anyhow;

World Wide Sound Dist Inc 407 Hamilton First American Bank Bldg: Memphis based, co-owned by businessman Bill Harper in early 1975, and formed to help the “little man” in the recording industry. Originally ‘homed’ at 147 Jefferson, Bill was also owner of River Records. In 1973 Bill’s partner and v.p. at River Records was Harold Streibich, quite a renowned attorney and music man.

As early as 1968, Harold Streibich was president in Music Memphis Inc. formed to promote ‘the Memphis sound’. Other officers included Jim Stewart (Stax), Rufus Thomas, and Knox Phillips. Harold was also on the board of governors of the Nashville Chapter of The National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, as well as prexy of Memphis Music

Bill also owned First American Music Co & Memphis Artists booking agency. Most of the River Records output before 1975 had been distributed by NSD (Nashville Sound Dist).

Addresses can be a revealing thing!

Investors Associates of America (pre-Oct 1972 formerly known as Hamilton Security Inc, Liberty National Securities & Harper Investment Co) at 147 Jefferson had officers that included Bill Harper. Essentially Liberty was in the Municipal Bonds business (debt securities issued by states, cities, counties and other governmental entities to fund day-to-day obligations and to finance capital projects such as building schools and highways). All had connections to First American Bank Bldg, Suite 407. In Feb 1976 the sale of Hamilton First American Bank went to United American Bank.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!