JMAuction - 20/09/2023 - Results!

Zanetti

On 21/09/2023 at 07:45, Chalky said:

Charles Johnson or The Friendly People both far from rare, Charles Johnson's must have numbered in the 1000s of copies one time, Friendly People was never expensive.

Friendly People seldom comes up these days though. It took me quite a while to get a copy but I agree, not that rare its just most copies sit in collections & aren't for sale.....That price is just plain mad.

Social source share

6 hours ago, Merve said:

Friendly People seldom comes up these days though. It took me quite a while to get a copy but I agree, not that rare its just most copies sit in collections & aren't for sale.....That price is just plain mad.

Silly idea or not ,, Has anyone ever organised a a collectors list of what records are actually in their collections, print a list of the so called top 500 , ask how many have a copy and then work through the A to Z of top 500 to 1000 .

Over the years before the internet , at every Alnighter throughout the country , we where told this is rare , and probably somewhere, someone sat on a hundred box waiting for that tune to go big and then drip feed them into the scene , true or not , there does seem to be an awful lot of tunes like , ILa Vann for instance , You Made Me This Way , £300+ for a record which in the mid 70s was a £3.tune I think I bought mine for £1.30 from Sinfonia in Blackpool, ok bought it and told to keep quiet and don't let Levine know  where it came from .

I'm sure I'm not the only one on SS , that thinks there are more copies of these so called rare records out there ?

Edited by Happy Feet
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

14 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Silly idea or not ,, Has anyone ever organised a a collectors list of what records are actually in their collections, print a list of the so called top 500 , ask how many have a copy and then work through the A to Z of top 500 to 1000 .

Over the years before the internet , at every Alnighter throughout the country , we where told this is rare , and probably somewhere, someone sat on a hundred box waiting for that tune to go big and then drip feed them into the scene , true or not , there does seem to be an awful lot of tunes like , ILa Vann for instance , You Made Me This Way , £300+ for a record which in the mid 70s was a £3.tune I think I bought mine for £1.30 from Sinfonia in Blackpool, ok bought it and told to keep quiet and don't let Levine know  where it came from .

I'm sure I'm not the only one on SS , that thinks there are more copies of these so called rare records out there ?

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a 'clean' copy of Ila Vann these days. In the 70s not everyone had the standard of equipment that's the norm nowadays venue decks and home players were very harsh on styrene 45s .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!