Open your ears and your minds

Chalky

That's right Chalky, problem has always been there, however, I think that from the mid 80s onwards there was a definite shift from the "hail be to the DJ, we must aspire to obtain his gifts" " he's my mentor" culture. Don't get me wrong, it's still there, and I have huge respect for some of the DJs down the years, who've given me some great memories and introduced me to a multitude of awesome soul music, especially pre social media time's, but, as with everything, as time moves on, appreciation, knowledge and appropriate understanding of a subject matter is accumulated. Soul music being no exception 

Tempo, writer's, producers, sound exclusive to localities (Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, West Coast etc) were now being considered more by the, by now, more knowledgeable collector, not just what was coming through the speakers at a venue, digging trips to the US were frequently unearthing stuff that, maybe, were not desirable to the dancing brigade,  but coveted among the collectors fraternity, out of these scenarios was borne the alternative gem's that you mention, I know you know this already Chalkster,  but I think the dye has been set long ago, never to change,there will always be those who will chase the "John Bowies" etc, and that's their choice, but, my point being, there's plenty of enlightened folk out there taking the alternative route in collecting quality soul music, let the so called "trophy"  hunter's crack on, they're not listening anyhow. 

Kev

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

I said this on another topic.....

Ignore the rare and the trophy records. There are tons of 45s at sensible affordable prices that would make a cracking nighter.  Might not be new discoveries but many unknown to the majority cause the majority just don’t go digging anymore. They are force fed certain records, a certain collecting ethos, just like you are force fed the news agenda.  John Bowie it ain’t even rare, you’ve heard it a million times, switch of this force fed narrative and just go and dig, be that in record boxes or just listening to random cheap sound files on websites, open your ears and your minds. 

I don't understand the obsession over some the supposedly rarest yet most over played records on the scene....not just the northern classic oldies scene but go to any crossover or supposedly upfront venue and you will hear the same records month after month, year after year.  There is no imagination, hot boxers, little knowledge amongst the Djs because they've never had to dig, just go out and buy the big records Butch for Andy Dyson for example have found.  The classic side, same big records you've heard a million times over 40/50 years.

Would you listen to an episode of Top of The Pops from 1978 every week?  No you wouldn't so why do it with soul records?  As I said there are tons never played, virtually unknown to the masses, records that would make a great all-nighter.  Some of the fodder passed off as Northern Soul at some of the nighters now would never have got played just a few years ago, they are pretty poor but they cost a few bob.  

Has it come down to what a Dj spends to make them now as a DJ?  Must be because it isn't because of what they are playing in some cases.

I get your point Chalky...but you've made an assumption people paying big bucks for records are DJ's who want tham to play out. I don't think that's the case.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Chalky said:

I think its the the Dj scenario that is driving the prices.

I think people are buying them and flipping them 6 months- 18 months down the line OR truly putting them in their boxes…I concede  perhaps a few DJs might be driving the prices.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Chalky said:

I said this on another topic.....

Ignore the rare and the trophy records. There are tons of 45s at sensible affordable prices that would make a cracking nighter.  Might not be new discoveries but many unknown to the majority cause the majority just don’t go digging anymore. They are force fed certain records, a certain collecting ethos, just like you are force fed the news agenda.  John Bowie it ain’t even rare, you’ve heard it a million times, switch of this force fed narrative and just go and dig, be that in record boxes or just listening to random cheap sound files on websites, open your ears and your minds. 

I don't understand the obsession over some the supposedly rarest yet most over played records on the scene....not just the northern classic oldies scene but go to any crossover or supposedly upfront venue and you will hear the same records month after month, year after year.  There is no imagination, hot boxers, little knowledge amongst the Djs because they've never had to dig, just go out and buy the big records Butch for Andy Dyson for example have found.  The classic side, same big records you've heard a million times over 40/50 years.

Would you listen to an episode of Top of The Pops from 1978 every week?  No you wouldn't so why do it with soul records?  As I said there are tons never played, virtually unknown to the masses, records that would make a great all-nighter.  Some of the fodder passed off as Northern Soul at some of the nighters now would never have got played just a few years ago, they are pretty poor but they cost a few bob.  

Has it come down to what a Dj spends to make them now as a DJ?  Must be because it isn't because of what they are playing in some cases.

I've only done a few spots at nighters but I've never been scared to go in different directions as I see how people enjoy what I am playing.  The  moments I remember the most are 

Playing The soulville all-stars I'm gonna get to you then saying here is their other release,  nobody to blame but myself,  the floor filled .and people were asking what it was.

At a mainstream niter playing Lee Andrews and the hearts can't do without you and clydie king bout love. Great forgotten 100% stompers . Again people dancing to cheap records asking me what they were. 

I was happier with people dancing to the cheap stuff rather than the tomangoes. Yes i played it but felt pressed to play it. 

Like you say chalky.  Thousands of great and cheap records.  But don't get me started about totally ignored Flip sides.. 

So so many awesome records that people just have never heard.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

This is what I was really driving at with the 'when did it become about rarity?' Thread, there was shit loads of great cheap records played at all the great venues of the 70's, they don't get played now!

Playlists are the scourge of the scene, can't remember the last time I read one and it wasn't full of the same old, tired rarities. These lists sat nothing about the imagination of the DJs other than how much they've spent and how big there ego's are. The big problem with the upfront scene has become exactly the same, Willie Dale is the new John and the weirdest. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Benji said:

Sorry for picking out just this bit. But I have to say in my opinion the days of great allnighter tunes at affordable prices are long gone. Everything even half decent is three figures nowadays with the odd exception.

Sorry I disagree, but then I'm not sure where these nighter tunes can actually get played to a credible audience nowadays.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Solidsoul said:

I think one of the reasons dj's tend to play the popular records is because most people will know them and will dance. But I know it can be boring listening to a full hour of very predictable expensive records.

The dance floor had always kept the Northern Soul scene on the right track. But when dj's don't have to play to the floor they wander off down lanes and alley ways of music, that only they know! Then it becomes boring for the average punter.

When there used to be weekly venues playing the same records to the same people it was easier to break new sounds regularly. 

But things are so fragmented now with what people know, and how often they go out, it's not surprising the dj's can't promote the lesser known goodies!

Many moons ago when I used to dj, I would try and play two out of three that most people would know then the third something lesser known I wanted to push forward!

This kept things entertaining to the crowd, but also got new records accepted. A compromise, but it seemed to work for the dancers and also for the collector/listeners. 

Integration is the key, totally agree. Setting up a great lesser known with something more familiar often works but so can contrasting the tempo and atmosphere to create a reaction in the room. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

19 hours ago, Benji said:

Sorry for picking out just this bit. But I have to say in my opinion the days of great allnighter tunes at affordable prices are long gone. Everything even half decent is three figures nowadays with the odd exception.

thing is...there must be lots of great allnighter tunes at affordable prices...its just they  probably dont get played. How can a DJ stand out from the crowd (and yes there is a crowd of DJ's out there) by playing affordable records.....

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Jez Jones said:

thing is...there must be lots of great allnighter tunes at affordable prices...its just they  probably dont get played. How can a DJ stand out from the crowd (and yes there is a crowd of DJ's out there) by playing affordable records.....

change their name to Marc Dubson ?

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Jez Jones said:

Why aren’t they played then? Is it because in reality there aren’t lots of allnighter tunes at affordable prices….just affordable N.S.tunes.

Social source share

22 hours ago, Kenb said:

Why aren’t they played then? Is it because in reality there aren’t lots of allnighter tunes at affordable prices….just affordable N.S.tunes.

They aren't played because, as chalky intonates ego's get in the way. why play a cheap record when you can show off and play what you spent £3k on last month. That's the default setting for most.  

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Geeselad said:

They aren't played because, as chalky intonates ego's get in the way. why play a cheap record when you can show off and play what you spent £3k on last month. That's the default setting for most.  

I wouldn’t want to go out and listen to a DJ playing affordable records I have, and that I can play at home myself.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

"Wait A Minit Baby ,  apart from my  bad intro  , and it's very late , every tune started  off being worth about £1. or so , so really what does it matter if the dance floor is busy or "wait a minute baby " I've danced to this a million times before , I'm hopefully one day going to walk into a venue that plays across the board , dance floor fillers that are just that . Worth a £1 , Who gives a shit . , So was the Montclair's when first played .

We all agree that raraty doesn't mean that a tune is great , just desirable, so why not just play a cross section of tunes worth £1. or £100,000 , if they've got that danceabilty ingredient that we all desire , surely that's what it's all about, yes you can have your satellite rooms for what ever style RnB , Lowrider , 60s , 70s 80s, and what other type of soul , that as evolved into Northern soul , but the dancefloor as to be what it's all about , uplifting, happy , and full , or am I "Living In A World Of Fantasy" 

Social source share

22 hours ago, Jez Jones said:

But what if the DJ plays affordable records you aint got and therefore can't play at home...winner winner innit ?

Affordable AND good (for DJ purposes at nighters) don't often go together. Rare and underplayed are by their very nature expensive. Sure DJ's can slip more affordable 45's in their sets...but if they are any good they won't stay affordable for long.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Kenb said:

I'd like to see that too Benji

B side of Guilty Al Green, B side of Sexy Mamma the Moments another, B side of Isley bros I guess i'll always love you was another i think, 

2 minutes ago, Kenb said:

but if they are any good they won't stay affordable for long.

if not affordable then available, I bought a couple mentioned on another thread by Mal C, could be coincidence but one had sold same day he posted which begs the question once the cheaper ones have been bought is the bench mark set at what's there on say discogs which I think, could be wrong is the easiest port of call for many as a guide to a ball park price. 

Since starting buying again 4yrs ago and not getting out since Covid  so not seeing sales boxes etc  I've found it's very much a case of searching the net ,watching ebay etc to get a record at the price you want to pay, no dealer or site is consistently cheaper than any other though taking discogs again as an example too many on there are over ambitious shall we say in what they expect to achieve or maybe they are not actually bothered about selling.

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

Why not add 10 records of affordable underplayed records

The Knight Brothers Temptation Bout To get me springs to mind with that suggestion, not as a suggested play more how much money do you think I've got to spend on records, to quote another song Willpower Weak temptation Strong, that said there's always savings to be made when records enter the mix

Social source share

I only posted an hour ago so no chance for people to respond yet, just intrigued to know what records they would play at a cheap underplayed spot at a nighter .

It is only a scenario, not likely to happen , no point in saying loads of records out there at a reasonable price that need playing at a nighter and then not having a conviction go put a list up. 

If people scorn f*** em.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!