Sharon Mcmahan

Guest melandthensome

Guest melandthensome

I am talking to Sharon McMahan over on Soulful detroit forum at the moment along with others and would love scans of any of her material but especially of her Karen 45's

'got to find another guy'

'here comes the boy I love'

'love is wonderful'

if your on SDF give Sharon a message.

cheers

mel

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I am talking to Sharon McMahan over on Soulful detroit forum at the moment along with others and would love scans of any of her material but especially of her Karen 45's

'love is wonderful'

cheers

mel

Hi Mel,

Hope these scans help.I played them both at Carl Willinghams birthday do in Manchester on Sunday.

Geoff Buckley

post-4019-1173282934_thumb.jpg

post-4019-1173282973_thumb.jpg

post-4019-1173283803_thumb.jpg

post-4019-1173283854_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff B
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Geoff

many thanks to you as well mate

great stuff as with jim above full credit without a doubt to your fine self

mel :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hey fella..

Just had a go at scanning mine... didn't come out too good... so took a photo.

Have Love is Wonderful as well... but its at the mother in laws...

PS: Tell Sharon i said hi... :thumbsup: and can you ask her why her name was spelt differently on the 2 singles please.. always wondered about that.

Social source share

For anyone else that is interested in Ollie Mac and his Detroit connections....

His son is a media production guy and currently researching/preparing a documentary on his fathers life and work. I think Sharon and a number of others will hopefully feature in it. Barbara Lewis, Matt Lucas, Harry Balk etc are all still around and hopefully Ollie's story will be on film, told by by the people who surrounded him. I'll try and keep folks updated as and when developments occur. I suspect that the way people's lives intertwined that this project may have lots of "tentacles".

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Jim/Joan

will pass on your questions for you no problem

great stuff

mel :thumbsup:

ps

thanks for the scan sweet-cakes :thumbsup:

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Joan

Sharons name is spelled differently because ollie Mac decided it would be easier to pronounce the name McMann instead of McMahan as the jocks were stating the name as MAC-MAN-A-HAN.And she says ollie didnt like it so he changed it.

Jim

Sharon says she wrote the song before she met gracie and ollie introduced her to gracie at united studios and says she wrote the record aged 14yrs of age.And she says there voices sound very alike.

'So long lover' was the second song Sharon ever wrote.....

by the way

can someone please confirm if

'hello stranger 66' an inst?

cheers

mel

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

An instrumental .. sort of.

I think the arrangement on this record is absolutely fantastic... feel cheated Sharon didn't do her magic on it too.

Can you ask her why fella... also ask her if it's her on the backing vocals... please? biggrin.gif

HELLO STRANGER 66 - sharon mcmann - karen

15763 refosoul

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Allright joan

Sharon says she dosent recall singing on 'hello stranger 66' and that it was written and recorded by Barbara Lewis. I am awaiting a reply to see if she can remember who featured on it.Apparantly ollie mac used it on a number of her records.....she also says she was there when the capitols recorded 'cool jerk' and she was one of the back-ups doing the claps on it.

Oh yeah Sharon also wrote 'someday were gonna love again'

she says one day ollie mac wanted a song for an english group like the beatles (it was the searchers) and she was after a title for a song and she was panicking for a title to get it started then she saw a friend calling on a girl friend 2 doors down and she shouted ' Hey Hubert give me a title for a song'

so he yells

'someday were gonna love again'

so she then went in the house and wrote it.......still aged only 14........priceless

then ollie mac called on the friday she taped it on a reel to reel portable and he was gone then barbara lewis hit with it.

And the searchers did a version.

thanks for the scan sweet-cakes and the sound clip.....

morris c........ :thumbsup:

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

'love is wonderful'

cheers

mel

Hi Mel,Some other pics with Sharon's credits.

geoff.

post-4019-1173371036_thumb.jpg

post-4019-1173371071_thumb.jpg

post-4019-1173371217_thumb.jpg

post-4019-1173371363_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Nice one joan

will post it on the forum and ask her about it

much appreciated sweet cakes :wub:

morris c.......

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

Allright Joan, Manship had a copy of this columbia 45 on his auction recently, and it was brilliant!!! Apparently Richard Searling is playing it. Cheers. Sid :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

'love is wonderful'

cheers

mel

Hi Mel, I think if you rummage about in the Soulful Detroit forum archive, I started a post about Sharon and the name spellings 12 to 18 months ago. There might be some info on there that's useful to you. I also think there might be a similar thread in the archived forums on here....give Sharon my best and tell her 'Got to find'....is gorgeous :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Robb

Sharon answered in depth regards the un-issued track you mentioned so much in fact that you gotta join SDF mate.

Sweet cakes

Sharon told me to tell you this

'before I go into the un issued track 'I just want to make sure that you tell joan that I wish I was there to sing 'em live(in reference to you saying you would be playing her 45s)tell her I am a big fan of hers||(smiles)....

a very nice Lady.......

mel

Social source share

This was up on ebay a while ago Mel... don't know anything about it... might not even be her!

But i saved the scan just in case something like this ever came up... shades.gif

Early doors spin at t'Orwell for me and the Plumbmeister ....Tune!

Baz M

Social source share

Robb

Sharon answered in depth regards the un-issued track you mentioned so much in fact that you gotta join SDF mate.

Sweet cakes

Sharon told me to tell you this

'before I go into the un issued track 'I just want to make sure that you tell joan that I wish I was there to sing 'em live(in reference to you saying you would be playing her 45s)tell her I am a big fan of hers||(smiles)....

a very nice Lady.......

mel

WOW!!

Come on Mr.Wigley... GET THE LADY OVER HERE!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert