Mr All-Nighter

Torch56

"Where the sounds begin" was a great slogan and was used in the adverts that appeared in Blues and Soul in the spring of 1972. These adverts also highlighted individual records that punters could expect to hear, such as Mamie Galore and The Sounds of Lane.

These adverts gave the club a national profile since the Express and Star ones were distinctly only provincial in exposure. How effective they were, I'm not sure. Word of mouth was more effective in spreading the word in the early 70s.

Edited by Torch56
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Here's an example of the adverts that appeared in Blues and Soul in the spring of 1972. The proof reading left something to be desired. Cigarette Ash? The DJ's names have been partially cropped on this image but Alan S' name has been given one L too many and the errant apostrophe on Catacombs is unfortunate.

Nevertheless, listing the records and the slogan 'Where the Sounds begin' was visually arresting and, armed with the knowledge that an advert had been booked in the magazine it was with much anticipation that I flicked eagerly through the pages of my copy over half a century ago.

This image has been taken from the Catacombs facebook page which is run by Eddie Matusiuk who works tirelessly to keep the memories alive. Credit to him.

Edited by Torch56
grammar errors
Social source share

On 25/08/2023 at 12:24, Torch56 said:

Here's an example of the adverts that appeared in Blues and Soul in the spring of 1972. The proof reading left something to be desired. Cigarette Ash? The DJ's names have been partially cropped on this image but Alan S' name has been given one L too many and the errant apostrophe on Catacombs is unfortunate.

Nevertheless, listing the records and the slogan 'Where the Sounds begin' was visually arresting and, armed with the knowledge that an advert had been booked in the magazine it was with much anticipation that I flicked eagerly through the pages of my copy over half a century ago.

This image has been taken from the Catacombs facebook page which is run by Eddie Matusiuk who works tirelessly to keep the memories alive. Credit to him.

Now some venues might have the slogan:

"Where the Same 100 Sounds Endlessly Repeat Week In Week Out"  

Social source share

Alan Day was a cracking guy , in early WIgan days he was regularly in the record bar , if ever I needed to know what the current tune being played was , I would ask him or a couple of tried and tested other older lads , never any edge to him , even when asking about what must have seemed obvious , remember asking him about one that was being spun , he said "Its  Doris Troy , I,ll do Anything ."        Everyone has to hear a thing for the first time , and he recognised this ,    Mr  All nighter ?   Fitting  Accolade .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!