BBC2 Northern Soul Prom on Saturday 26th August

TV listings have the Northern Soul Prom to be screened at 7.45 - 9.15 pm. The programme is sure to provoke much commentary so here’s a plea in advance to stick to what you hear and what you see! By all means make critical comments, but let’s keep them objective. Having been at the Albert Hall for the concert and heard it twice on iPlayer, I’m still full of praise for the event. Anyway, let’s hear what your thoughts are.

458DE8F8-6E5F-4D9F-B300-7EACF9639085.jpeg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

What a brilliant performance. The orchestra was spot on. The singers were excellent rotating from backing roles to read vocalists. The audience got more and more into the occasion as the evening progressed, especially after The Night. Some songs had been edited out - Bobby Paris, Eddie Holman, Just Brothers, Jimmy Beaumont, Luther Ingram, Carstairs, Edwin Starr all got the chop. All in all, a hugely enjoyable experience for everyone, lifelong soul fans and folk new to the music. Let’s hope the BBC repeat the format in years ahead such was the apparent success of the venture. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Owd Codger said:

Yes Jimmy Beaumont was a highlight, sadly cut.

Decent tune but one for the connoisseur. A lot were cut out to allow the panel to chat at the start and part way through. Little did we know the Beeb had booked a box for some back-stage preamble. The inclusion of a dance-class from Levanna surely must have raised a few eye-brows.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Let’s hope the BBC repeat the format in years ahead such was the apparent success of the venture. 

I haven't seen how the event was received by the wider public, maybe we will find out after last nights showing. I was hoping we might hear how the musicians and singers found the experience.Perhaps with the wealth of instrumentals to pick from we might get a future prom focusing on them. Without the subjective opinions on the quality of some of the vocals an instrumental prom would maybe be better received by the naysayers.

Much as I enjoyed it there is no substitute for the real thing which had me thinking , if I was Joe public watching  would it make me want to go to an event, not sure it would but that's just me.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

I haven't seen how the event was received by the wider public, maybe we will find out after last nights showing. I was hoping we might hear how the musicians and singers found the experience.Perhaps with the wealth of instrumentals to pick from we might get a future prom focusing on them. Without the subjective opinions on the quality of some of the vocals an instrumental prom would maybe be better received by the naysayers.

Much as I enjoyed it there is no substitute for the real thing which had me thinking , if I was Joe public watching  would it make me want to go to an event, not sure it would but that's just me.

Much as I enjoyed it there is no substitute for the real thing which had me thinking , if I was Joe public watching  would it make me want to go to an event,....

Hope not

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I must admit that I enjoyed it for the most part. The chap who sang the drifter did a good job, one of my all time favourite songs. Not as good as the going to a venue but certainly better than watching the usual dross that mainstream television is these days.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Stuart Maconie’s reaction pretty much summed up the success. The conductor was actually dancing at one stage! Members of the orchestra were evidently enjoying themselves, possibly having a change from the classical dirge usually foisted upon them. The audience in their hundreds had a great time boogieing to the tunes - I saw the Gypsy Kings at the Albert Hall a few months ago and only a tiny number of fans stood up to dance. I hope Joe Public stays well away from all soul events but would encourage anyone interested to buy a CD or research the YouTube archive.

It was interesting to see the exclusion of the two instrumentals. Clearly the vocal tunes were favoured by the editors. Sure, Mike Post and Checkerboard Squares would make good listening along with the Mirwood output etc but I suspect the singers made for better entertainment for casual armchair viewers.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!