Cheapies Djs

When I did the Friendship soul nights from 2003 to 2006 we thrived on Cheapies heres some i played that i think are worth mentioning

Hearts of Stone - If I could give you the world

the dells - Make Sure

The Ethics - I want my baby back

Three pieces - I need you girl

ronnie Dyson - Lady in Red

Philharmonics - I need i need your love

Jeff Perry - unforgettable person

Lee Williams - Its everything about you

Brenda and the tabulations - thats in the past

Sherm (reb) Nesbary - Dont make me sorry

Ashford and simpson - Everybodys got to give it up

Futures - aint got time fa nothing

and hundreds more that very rarely get played these days but

Interesting to see manship has the Futures aint got time fa nothing as a "future" biggie this week on his mails....where was he in the late 70's early 80's when that sound was massive around the clubs??? sure it didnt get chart success but had a huge club following....

Geeooooordie

Social source share

• Replies 98
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

My Dear Fellow ..... My apologies .

I can remember you coming to one of my hops at Mexborough Civic in 1979 , and telling me you were going to make an impression on the scene .

Who was the first paid gig for ? not for TS in a scout hut in Louth I hope ...... :unsure:

Anyway , you are one of my favourite DJs ...... cheap tunes or not .

Malc Burton

Mate, long before my dangerous liason with TS ( :wicked: ) me and John Kennedy (The MIGHTY) were doing most of our local gigs from 72 - 74 before we took over at THE CHARADE in Rotherham which I worked until 78 (if you recall).

I was also running the Green Dragon in 76 - 77 and had a few thousand hours flying time behind the decks long before I came to your local Bun fight and introduced the crowd to summink decent!

:wicked::wicked::thumbsup:

Happy days Old friend.

Sean

Social source share

Hi

I DJ at Denton every month and I have been playing "Chris Bartley Truer words were never spoken" ( Les Hare has a demo at a tenner at King Bee), and the b side of I heard it through the grapevine, "Love Somebody" and they are at the moment two of my top sound, both get a good reaction and people up dancing. None of them cost over 6 quid, in fact i have had Marvin since I was about 17 teen!!!! I also play the odd expensive track, to my mind 50 quid is a lot, such as Big Daddy Rogers and June Jackson, I also cart Choise of Colour and Innersction around with me and play Unique Blend

To me you can play a set of cheapies, and get a great reaction, really its the mix. And as someone said, some of those dearies were once cheapies :unsure:

Social source share

Mate, long before my dangerous liason with TS ( :wicked: ) me and John Kennedy (The MIGHTY) were doing most of our local gigs from 72 - 74 before we took over at THE CHARADE in Rotherham which I worked until 78 (if you recall).

I was also running the Green Dragon in 76 - 77 and had a few thousand hours flying time behind the decks long before I came to your local Bun fight and introduced the crowd to summink decent!

:rolleyes::shades::boxing:

Happy days Old friend.

Sean

I knew very well of your pedigree - and reputation - long before we first met ...... I frequented the Charade , and I came into the Green Dragon and requested 63 , 45 , 67 and 8 ....... :lol:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Leave Joan Crawford out of this.

This is a serious Topic!

:rolleyes:

Sean

It was JANE MANSFIELD who had "lobsterisimus bumberkissimus" - not Joan Crawford, you C***, you F****** C***

(signed Derek & Clive) :shades:

Social source share

When I did the Friendship soul nights from 2003 to 2006 we thrived on Cheapies heres some i played that i think are worth mentioning

Hearts of Stone - If I could give you the world

the dells - Make Sure

The Ethics - I want my baby back

Three pieces - I need you girl

ronnie Dyson - Lady in Red

Philharmonics - I need i need your love

Jeff Perry - unforgettable person

Lee Williams - Its everything about you

Brenda and the tabulations - thats in the past

Sherm (reb) Nesbary - Dont make me sorry

Ashford and simpson - Everybodys got to give it up

Futures - aint got time fa nothing

and hundreds more that very rarely get played these days but

Interesting to see manship has the Futures aint got time fa nothing as a "future" biggie this week on his mails....where was he in the late 70's early 80's when that sound was massive around the clubs??? sure it didnt get chart success but had a huge club following....

Geeooooordie

Classic example... "Ronnie Dyson - Lady In Red".

Cost me 35p off Lincoln Market before I took it to Cleggy and it became a monster!

Nice list Geordie! Can't fault ya.

Sean

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

As Gavin once said all records are worth a pound, some are just harder to find

Yep I did and they still are !

It seems I have some catching up to do with you Dave. What time did you start ?

Sooner own and play a good cheap record every day of the week.

Social source share

It was JANE MANSFIELD who had "lobsterisimus bumberkissimus" - not Joan Crawford, you C***, you F****** C***

(signed Derek & Clive) :shades:

You're right.

So right mate.

She did have Lobsters inside her.

Joan Crawford had Hamburgers.

Thanks mate.

All the best.

See ya.

Love to the wife and kids.

Cheers.

c***

:boxing:

Social source share

That's what I meant ...... Blame Stella .

Malc Burton

Blimey, another one pissed!

What is it with you lot.

Blindo on a Tuesday night... and me still at the office... trying to write a Press Release.

If it ends up with a Quote from Peter Cook in it rather than the Chairman, I'm blaming you Burton!

:shades:

Sean

Social source share

Blimey, another one pissed!

What is it with you lot.

Blindo on a Tuesday night... and me still at the office... trying to write a Press Release.

If it ends up with a Quote from Peter Cook in it rather than the Chairman, I'm blaming you Burton!

:shades:

Sean

At the office ? which one ? your real office or the one at Chez Hampsey ......

Still very much sober , dear fellow ; as I have only taken Stella's top off once ......

Malc Bourbon , sorry , Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

(signed Derek & Clive) :rolleyes:

Jane Mansfield! Now that was a woman! I've got a nice 50's film book featuring this stunning lady.. 19 inch waist and a mahoosive chest... I've even got a 45 featuring her girlie scream! :shades:

Social source share

Another approach, just play good records, bugger the price. :rolleyes:

Totally agree & agree with all the above posts, just play good soul records that you are passionate about................a lot of the obscure lesser known cheapies are tommorows rareities once the demand is there...........likewise look at the mega rareities that have turned up in quantity over the years...........only criteria should be good danceable soul music that you have a passion for.

Russ

Social source share

The strange thing is, people think expensive is good - that is actually never the case (sweet parsnips, it's raining so hard here on my conservatory roof I can't hear my music!). It's the perception of what 'you' think is rich as opposed to the cost of the record :rolleyes:

Social source share

Like wise, think a good balance of rare and not so rare played alongside each other is good, price is errelivant as long as the quality is still there :rolleyes:

Totally agree with that Baz, money dont come into it! think its just as satisfying playing a cheapie record that goes down well as a mega buck tune........mind you most of my records are sub £200 quid ones so ......err there you go :shades:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

To me playing cheapies is fine, as long as the song is of Northern soul and played out some dance to it what is the problem. Some people don't have money like others there for can't afford to buy a Northern soul record.

i myself might well get say £200 on my payslip for 1 month but that does not mean i will go and buy 4 records at £50. sometimes you have to be lucky and you will find a rare record cheap

dad got Barabra Mills for nothing off some person he knew and now it's worth £400 according to rare record price guide.

Social source share

An interesting topic and all the more relevant as I ran "Cheap as Chips" last year at Boogaloosoul. Tunes for £50 or less. Great music from all djs and I managed to get loads of records from the playlist of the other djs. Everyone who turned up said it was a great night and refreshing to hear newer, cheaper sounds and I really enjoyed it. Even heard it got it's own thread going on an Italian northern soul forum debating the value of cheaper quality sounds.......

........HOWEVER.......

it was one of the lowest attendances we had all year. Just enough to keep it busy. So perhaps it's just a good idea for a topic and not one that really gets people moving onto the dancefloor. Not all doom and gloom tho' as I'm doing another one later on in the year (probably August/Sept) and am looking for volunteers.

Warren Boogaloo

Social source share

Here's my offering of a "cheaper" playlist that wouldn't break the bank

Stop & Think It Over - Anthony White

I'm So Very Glad - Sam Dees

A Nice Girl Like You - The Intruders

The Moment Of Truth - Dunn & Bruce Street

Time Will Take Care Of Everything - Lou Rawls

What Can A Man Do - Ben E King

Tell Her - Jimmy Soul Clark

I'm With You - September Jones

When You Left Heartache Began - Archie Bell & The Drells

That's When You Know - Jerry Weaver

I've got News for You - Viola Wills

In Her Own Way - Prince Phillip Mitchell

Hey Baby - Anthony White

You Says It All - Randy Brown

Edited by richard
Social source share

i have to question what sort of state the northern soul scene in the UK has got itself into, when the price of records has to be pointed out at all on a night out. The whole idea of money dictating the content of a night out is pretty disc-gusting if you'll excuse the pun. the northern soul scene surely needs to take a look at itself and what it is really all about, it's a great scene of great music but if it's being dictated to by moneymen then more fool those that allow it to happen. just my opinion that's all.

cheers Paul

Social source share

Interesting topic! Forgive me for sounding "green", but I always thought what was in the "grooves" is what counts, not the price! Please clarify? :D

Ahhhhhh,but is whats in the grooves of a reissue or boot , the same as in the original pressing ohmy.gif ........oh no here I go again laugh.gif

Bazza

Social source share

i have to question what sort of state the northern soul scene in the UK has got itself into, when the price of records has to be pointed out at all on a night out. The whole idea of money dictating the content of a night out is pretty disc-gusting if you'll excuse the pun. the northern soul scene surely needs to take a look at itself and what it is really all about, it's a great scene of great music but if it's being dictated to by moneymen then more fool those that allow it to happen. just my opinion that's all.

cheers Paul

Good point there Paul.Some think that a big bag of cash and buying tunes that cost a samll fortune will make people sit up and take notice :D .......Just play some quality soul and don't think about the cost...The money men sleep3.gif ..Fuc" them,they just play with each other in the dark corners...

Only a fool would judge something on cost alone...Some of us have to search out cheap underplayed tunes because we aint got the gold card to throw at the next big tune..

Listen to your own ears and you decide what tunes you think are quality..Some of us have brains and ears and think for ourself...Others follow like sheep and end up like lemmings....

You hear some saying "its just a cheapie" unsure.gif ...£50 aint cheap in my book...Maybe its there way of telling you that they have lots in the bank :rolleyes::thumbsup:

I have met folk who are brainwashed by price alone...They are like watching paint dry...

Heart...soul... or arsehole you choose

Social source share

Good point there Paul.Some think that a big bag of cash and buying tunes that cost a samll fortune will make people sit up and take notice :D .......Just play some quality soul and don't think about the cost...The money men :thumbsup: ..Fuc" them,they just play with each other in the dark corners...

Only a fool would judge something on cost alone...Some of us have to search out cheap underplayed tunes because we aint got the gold card to throw at the next big tune..

Listen to your own ears and you decide what tunes you think are quality..Some of us have brains and ears and think for ourself...Others follow like sheep and end up like lemmings....

You hear some saying "its just a cheapie" :rolleyes: ...£50 aint cheap in my book...Maybe its there way of telling you that they have lots in the bank :shades:sleep3.gif

I have met folk who are brainwashed by price alone...They are like watching paint dry...

Heart...soul... or arsehole you choose

hi Steve, see you at Prestatyn for a pint and a chat,seems we have a lot in common whistling.gif ,,,KEV. thumbsup.gif

Edited by KevH
Social source share

I have to say that being into Modern/All-nighter soul scene early eighties, I found the attitude from the hardcore towards the cheaper and available Modern records at Soul Bowl and Dave Raistricks similar . The phrase "No big deal" was common place shades.gif

However some of us got DSOF for £15 , Pro fascination £1.50 and Seville £5 Tony Troutman £2.00

( Im sure Robin can name lots more eg Florence Vonn Trap £15 ) just records we liked and could thankfully afford "No Big deal " :D

Time machine thread ..Im sure DSOF was £15 though ..

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15163

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Would be interesting to know who the best cheapie all-nighter soul djs are?

You, at the prices you paid for them back then! :-)

(obviously excluding the new and recent release jocks who get everything cheap )

any playlists please and prices .. :wicked:

ps. looked at a few playlists this week , not a cheap record in site . :shades:

And how many of them looked the same? wicked.gif

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Jane Mansfield! Now that was a woman! I've got a nice 50's film book featuring this stunning lady.. 19 inch waist and a mahoosive chest... I've even got a 45 featuring her girlie scream! :D

Jane Mansfield was NO JOKE in the 50s...EVERYONE wanted a tiny waist like her!

The strange thing is, people think expensive is good - that is actually never the case (sweet parsnips, it's raining so hard here on my conservatory roof I can't hear my music!). It's the perception of what 'you' think is rich as opposed to the cost of the record :)

I have seen folk purchase 45s for HUGE amounts of money and it wasn't an ear opener. :lol:

Ahhhhhh,but is whats in the grooves of a reissue or boot , the same as in the original pressing :) ........oh no here I go again :lol:

Bazza

:lol: Yeah you do...maybe I am not THERE yet as far as that, but where the acetate didn't dry yet or 20 copies doesn't matter to me, really unless I am a collector, which I am not. I play the music, that's all. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert