Cheapies Djs

Hi All

Sorry if this has already been discussed but what do you think of the concept of DJs whose sets consist of nothing but cheapies (ie: tunes that cost 50 quid or less)?

This isn't a go at the DJs who can afford the big tunes, but there's so many great records that can be had for a good price and a DJ could easily play an hour's set or more using only cheapies. Are there any DJs out there who already do this? I know there's maybe a handful of people who think that a record's rubbish if it's 20 quid but I reckon the majority of us don't care as long as it's a great record that can get the floor busy.

Cheers

Gordy

Social source share

• Replies 98
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi All

Sorry if this has already been discussed but what do you think of the concept of DJs whose sets consist of nothing but cheapies (ie: tunes that cost 50 quid or less)?

This isn't a go at the DJs who can afford the big tunes, but there's so many great records that can be had for a good price and a DJ could easily play an hour's set or more using only cheapies. Are there any DJs out there who already do this? I know there's maybe a handful of people who think that a record's rubbish if it's 20 quid but I reckon the majority of us don't care as long as it's a great record that can get the floor busy.

Cheers

Gordy

Every DJ should be able to do it .. Unless .. no I wont mention that concept ph34r.gif

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Hi All

Cheers

Gordy

One track i'd like to hear out is Jimmy Ricks "the long, long arm of love" well under £50.00 and it would get me on the dance floor no probs, Like you say there's loads of good record out there just waiting to be played.

It should not take DJ's with all big and expensive records to fill a venue never mind a dance floor (just IMHO)

On the other hand if a DJ starts playing say a £10.00 record and the price sudenly jumps to over £50.00 should he drop it from his play list, this as we all know happens.

Steve J

Edited by STEVE JOHNSTON
Social source share

I often feature records under 50 quid in my sets. There are some superb records 50 quid and under that are far better than many of todays mega money biggies (all IMHO of course).

Like wise, think a good balance of rare and not so rare played alongside each other is good, price is errelivant as long as the quality is still there thumbsup.gif

Social source share

watch any person dj or not flick through a sales box they barely glance at the cheaper stuff its all in the mind lol they cant bring themselves to think that a £20 choon can be any good...heres an example a bloke was rummaging through my sales box when he says those 2 records are way too cheap at a tenner...so i said well why not buy them?? he then says no i already have them...so in front of him i picked up the records which were a tenner...marked one at £30 & one at £40...left my sales box with a mate and went to get a coffee...when i came back both had sold :thumbsup: ...which goes to show that no one looked when they were a tenner...go figure it ....where as i am always up fer a good cheap choon theres some blinders out there and i aint afraid to play em...but alas i will admit to having big money records too but its all about the mix....the choon which had most questions asked of it when i dj'ed @ the 100 was the 30 quidder nestled neatly amongst the dear stuff...

cookie wicked.gif

Social source share

Hi All

Cheers

Gordy

This start of the above thread bears a striking resemblence to the classic " Social Classes " comic sketch , that featured Ronnie Barker , John Cleese and Ronnie Corbett , from the 1960s TV show " That Was The Week That Was " , and to quote one of the lines from it - " I look down on him because ...... "

It does not matter what the price of a record was / is - 50 P , £ 50 OR £ 50,000 : IF IT IS GOOD , IT IS GOOD ENOUGH TO BE PLAYED .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Personally, I think that if a DJ can't afford to play an entire set of £500+ records, unknowns and one-offs he shouldn't call himself a Soul DJ.

What does it matter if the record is good (or even if its amazing) if it's not incredibly expensive it absolutely should not be played.... under any circumstances.

This is a scene for people with deep pockets.

I happen to be loaded.

Which of course, makes me a shit hot Soul DJ.

If you can't afford the tools, don't try and learn the trade.

:thumbsup:

Sean

PS:

I am, of course, talking Ballocks.

I made a career out of playing high quality 'cheapies' and was probably one of the first Allnighter DJ's to play an entire set for much less than a fiver!

(Of course, in them days a fiver would get you two tickets to the pictures, a fish and chip supper and a taxi home!) :yes:

Important to remember that they all cost less than a quid at one time!

Nowadays, many of my 50 pence and £1 records are worth a bloody fortune! (but that's besides the point whistling.gif )

Nobody said it better than Gordy.

It's what's in the grooves.

Period.

Social source share

What has price got yo do with the quality of a record , I could play you a set with all records valued at £15 ish , I could play you a set with records valued at £50-75 and I could play a set with all valued at £100+ and I dare say the £15 set would go down better.

It's getting worse , oldies, newies , modern , underplayed oldies , rare etc , etc , etc now cheapies .Lets just go underground again

Social source share

Personally, I think that if a DJ can't afford to play an entire set of £500+ records, unknowns and one-offs he shouldn't call himself a Soul DJ.

What does it matter if the record is good (or even if its amazing) if it's not incredibly expensive it absolutely should not be played.... under any circumstances.

This is a scene for people with deep pockets.

I happen to be loaded.

Which of course, makes me a shit hot Soul DJ.

If you can't afford the tools, don't try and learn the trade.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

LOL actually somebody said that in all seriousness on essential modern soul years ago!

which of course means he said it FIRST as well, so he must be a REALLY good DJ

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

LOL actually somebody said that in all seriousness on essential modern soul years ago!

which of course means he said it FIRST as well, so he must be a REALLY good DJ

But as Sean`s said it as well, it`s no longer a ONE OFF !

Mark Houghton

Social source share

Would be interesting to know who the best cheapie all-nighter soul djs are?

(obviously excluding the new and recent release jocks who get everything cheap )

any playlists please and prices .. :unsure:

ps. looked at a few playlists this week , not a cheap record in site . :wicked:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

What has price got yo do with the quality of a record , I could play you a set with all records valued at £15 ish , I could play you a set with records valued at £50-75 and I could play a set with all valued at £100+ and I dare say the £15 set would go down better.

It's getting worse , oldies, newies , modern , underplayed oldies , rare etc , etc , etc now cheapies .Lets just go underground again

I wasn't comparing a £15 tune to a £100 one, I was actually agreeing with the point you just made that the cheap tunes may go down better. I'm on a limited income and thinking of putting on a soul night in the nearest town as there are none and would be playing original vinyl. Being on a budget I will be playing "cheapies" and was just wondering if that was an okay thing to do!

Regards

Gordy

Social source share

Cost doesn't come into it - it's either a good tune to your ears or it's not. Some of the really expensive ones don't do anything for my ears and consequently nothing for my feet either :unsure:

Steve Csordas is a big advocate of playing out cheaper sounds, and experience tells me he's right.

Social source share

I wasn't comparing a £15 tune to a £100 one, I was actually agreeing with the point you just made that the cheap tunes may go down better. I'm on a limited income and thinking of putting on a soul night in the nearest town as there are none and would be playing original vinyl. Being on a budget I will be playing "cheapies" and was just wondering if that was an okay thing to do!

Regards

Gordy

I think it would be great idea ..Would be interesting to see some name dj's just play cheap tunes too

Social source share

Regards

Gordy

x-wangsweden.jpg

ok, so that last one, what are we saying then? £30? £40?... ok, well I guess with

inflation as it is we'll call it £38. Ok, divide that by the £2 they paid on the door,

then multiply the price of a pint by the number of heads, and say the ratio of records

played over £38 is six-to-one, that makes... errr... that makes... him a crap DJ.

So we're all agreed we're not coming back then? good.

:unsure:

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Regards

Gordy

Sorry Gordy ,bad day at the office . You go for it

Social source share

x-wangsweden.jpg

ok, so that last one, what are we saying then? £30? £40?... ok, well I guess with

inflation as it is we'll call it £38. Ok, divide that by the £2 they paid on the door,

then multiply the price of a pint by the number of heads, and say the ratio of records

played over £38 is six-to-one, that makes... errr... that makes... him a crap DJ.

So we're all agreed we're not coming back then? good.

:wicked:

Another approach, just play good records, bugger the price. :unsure:

Social source share

As if price plus or minus, has anything to do with good music. I know the start of the tread was meant as a positive. But just forget about price, play what you believe in, make people smile, suprise the floor, love soul. I've had to much to drink already :wicked:

i will drink to that cheers :unsure: ....sod it play what you believe in...if it moves your feet and mind why not??????

cookie :wicked:

Social source share

As if price plus or minus, has anything to do with good music. I know the start of the tread was meant as a positive. But just forget about price, play what you believe in, make people smile, suprise the floor, love soul. I've had to much to drink already :unsure:

But it's a school night Dave :wicked: Anyway, I'll always remember you for your fantastic set on the Soul Love Boat :wicked:

Social source share

A good Australian Chinin Blanc :unsure: , next the home made Sloe Vodka :wicked::wicked:

ooh a fella after me own heart a nice chenin blanc here too only mine is californian...ive tried sloe gin cos i used to make it but not sloe voddie sounds interesting....

cookie :thumbsup:

Social source share

But as Sean`s said it as well, it`s no longer a ONE OFF !

Mark Houghton

No, but I'm more than happy to play a 2nd ssue Mark...!

Course, I've always been more obscure than most of my records... which is what I think keeps my 'sets' ... rather than my records ... quite 'exclusive'.

Lets face it... and a few people on here have said it already... the secret is to JUST PLAY GOOD RECORDS!

Been DJ'ing 35 years and never played a record I'm ashamed of!

(well... maybe just the one :wicked: ).

Been to far too many a night where some Bloke behind the decks (hardly a DJ) with a Box of 'rarities' takes up a whole hour trying to impress his mates (and strangers) with 20 odd basically crap (but expensive) records that nobody wants to either listen to or dance to.

Just Madness.

If you've got very little dough... but you've got really good 'EARS' you can still put an awesome set together... so go for it Gordy!

Sean

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Hi All

Cheers

Gordy

Interesting topic! Forgive me for sounding "green", but I always thought what was in the "grooves" is what counts, not the price! Please clarify? :unsure:

Social source share

No, but I'm more than happy to play a 2nd ssue Mark...!

Course, I've always been more obscure than most of my records... which is what I think keeps my 'sets' ... rather than my records ... quite 'exclusive'.

Lets face it... and a few people on here have said it already... the secret is to JUST PLAY GOOD RECORDS!

Been DJ'ing 35 years and never played a record I'm ashamed of!

(well... maybe just the one :wicked: ).

Been to far too many a night where some Bloke behind the decks (hardly a DJ) with a Box of 'rarities' takes up a whole hour trying to impress his mates (and strangers) with 20 odd basically crap (but expensive) records that nobody wants to either listen to or dance to.

Just Madness.

If you've got very little dough... but you've got really good 'EARS' you can still put an awesome set together... so go for it Gordy!

Sean

You have been DJing for 35 years ....... Has it been that long ?

I can remember you starting out on the road to stardom when you were a fresh faced lad ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Interesting topic! Forgive me for sounding "green", but I always thought what was in the "grooves" is what counts, not the price! Please clarify? :unsure:

You are so right Maverick, but I'm sure you've learned by now, during your frequent visits to Soul Source, that there are:-

1. Those who like there Soul Music - Soulful - On Any Format - At Any Price

2. Those who like there Soul Music - Soulful - On Vinyl Only - At Top Price

3. Those who like there Soul Music - Not So Soulful - On Vinyl Only - At Top Price

And a whole bunch of others inbetween.

Sean

Social source share

You have been DJing for 35 years ....... Has it been that long ?

I can remember you starting out on the road to stardom when you were a fresh faced lad ......

Malc Burton

No you can't Malc.

Did my first professional (paid) set in 1972.

Didn't work with you until 78 / 79.... by which time I'd got zits!

Sean

Social source share

No you can't Malc.

Did my first professional (paid) set in 1972.

Didn't work with you until 78 / 79.... by which time I'd got zits!

Sean

My Dear Fellow ..... My apologies .

I can remember you coming to one of my hops at Mexborough Civic in 1979 , and telling me you were going to make an impression on the scene .

Who was the first paid gig for ? not for TS in a scout hut in Louth I hope ...... :unsure:

Anyway , you are one of my favourite DJs ...... cheap tunes or not .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Like a Cross between PIGMEAT MARKHAM - DEREK & CLIVE - CHEECH & CHONG, Dave.

I'll stick to Tyrone Davis thanks mate!

Sean

D & C ..... what's the worst job you've had ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

You are so right Maverick, but I'm sure you've learned by now, during your frequent visits to Soul Source, that there are:-

1. Those who like there Soul Music - Soulful - On Any Format - At Any Price

2. Those who like there Soul Music - Soulful - On Vinyl Only - At Top Price

3. Those who like there Soul Music - Not So Soulful - On Vinyl Only - At Top Price

And a whole bunch of others inbetween.

Sean

:wicked::wicked::thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert