Original artists performing their studio recordings

CHANGING THE SUBJECT A LITTLE ... On the other 'busy' topic it was stated that only the original artists performing their studio recordings in the same way that they were originally recorded is acceptable on the NS scene.

No singers / acts doing covers of those songs or orchestras having a go with guest singers. 

BUT BACK IN THE DAY, no act performed their hits / studio tracks as they were recorded ... they upped the energy level to add to the excitement of the show ... an example from RSG .. 

In addition to the tempo change; visiting acts (apart from the Motown & Stax packages) had to accept UK backing bands. So once again, their performances were much different to their studio work. Lots of soul folk don't like the LIVE albums released on visiting soul acts (Garnett Mimms, Major Lance, etc) coz of this. 

Lots of backing bands were quite inexperienced/ far from top class musicians (Roy Tempest's backing bands for instance, whereas some visiting acts were better served (Mary Wells having Sounds Incorporated as her band on the Beatles tour she did here -- she also brought a Motown guitarist with her to lead them). 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Let's say you had the luck to have recorded your stuff at Muscle Shoals and then released, unless you take them with you on tour, you'll have a hard job getting any where near replicating the sound, for instance, listen to Bobby Womacks Home is where the heart is album, for all Bobby's greatness, you'll never be able to bring that backing to a venue, seen clips of Sam and Dave live, they had Booker T and the guy's backing, they were pretty damn close to replicating it 👍 

Social source share

The Jnr Walker clip was recorded @ the Ram Jam, Club in London of course. It was the club that gave Geno Washington's band their name. Otis Redding also played a gig there & he was able to bring his full 14 piece US band with him. But he had just been voted top world male singer by UK music mag readers, so I guess he knew he had to impress when playing live here.

From my post 3 above; the middle two adverts are for 2 shows in Baltimore around the Xmas period 1964; one at the Royal Theatre, one at the Stanton Theatre. There was only 4 days between the 2 shows & Xmas is an expensive time anyway -- If I'd only had the money to go to one of them, I think my $2 would have been spent at the Stanton.

LndnRamJamClubMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!