Bobby Moore (no, not that one) ...

This is a piece about the music career of Bobby Moore ..

BUT not the "Anything Man" guy ... OR EVEN ... The Rhythm Aces leader ... this is about the New Jersey Bobby Moore.

Bobby started out in the music biz around 1958 in Newark, NJ. He & his mates formed a group to emulate Little Anthony & the Imperials, their always performed tune being "Tears On My Pillow". By 1960, they had established themselves enough to get a record deal. A 45 credited to the 4 Most escaped on Milo. The 45 did nothing & the group broke up. But Bobby had been noticed & the Fiestas came looking for him & got him to join the group. Booby was on the group's Old Town recordings made in fall 1960. He then sang lead on both sides of their early 61 single released by Strand. 1962 saw Bobby going solo and having "The Ginger Snap" out as 'Little Bobby Moore' on King. 1963 saw his first group's 45 put out on an oldies label and this prompted Bobby to put together a new set of the FourMost and they had a single, "You Got To Live For Yourself", out on Fantasy in 1964. Another solo effort also came out in 64; "I Carefully Checked Your Heart" on Kay=O (this song being a NY office Jobete registered song).

In 1965 it was back to the group. "It Was A Lie"" appeared on the D.W. label (with the group's name misspelled as the "Fourmosts"). This 45 was licensed by Red Bird for national distribution in 1966. But Bobby soon went back to cutting solo (1966), but there was a complication. Another guy was enjoying hits as Bobby Moore (with his group the Rhythm Aces), therefore Bobby had to find a new name.  So when "I Was Born A Loser"/"My Luck Is About To Change" on the Sue label (#45-144), it was attributed to 'Bobby Lee'. A second Sue 45 followed; "I Missed It By That Much"/"I'm Not Afraid" (#45-145). There was one more Bobby Lee record from 1966: "Cut You Loose" (another of Bobby's compositions), backed with "I'm Just A Man," on the Port label (/#45-3022). During this period and on into the 70's Bobby was also the vocalist with Duke Anderson's band. They participated on a Ramot Productions session that resulted in 2 tracks escaping on the Cloud label (65). Another Ramot production (the teaming behind Bobby's 45's on Sue) saw a 45 attributed to Bobbi & Michi being released b y Josie in 66.  

Booby Moore aka Bobby Lee stayed in the music biz and even rejoined a set of Fiestas in the 1990's. Bobby passed in 2013.

FourmostsMont.jpg

BobbyLee45Sept66mont.jpg

bobbyLee45BobyMoore.jpg

bobbyLee45BobyMooreBMI.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I'd start with "Cut You Loose" if you're into NS ... although the track has a few 'rough edges' & the sound quality on the recording ain't the greatest.

One of his earlier efforts ...  

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

An extract from Andy Rix's fine article on Motown's New York office & the work done by the team there ... 

. . .  Much better listening is afforded by Bobby Moore's 'I Carefully Checked Your Heart', one of two George Kerr-Jerry Harris compositions that appeared as a single on the tiny Kay-O label in late 1963. Bobby is clearly NOT the Alabama-based sax-playing Bobby Moore who scored a couple of years later on Chess with 'Searching For My Love' ... 

MORE ADDITIONAL INFO ... Bobby Moore & the Fourmosts cut "It Was A Lie" was picked up by Red Bird for national distribution in July 1966. This was just before Red Bird closed down -- their last single escaping in Sept 66 (# 083). . . . A matter of weeks before the BM & 4Most 45 had been issued, Red Bird had licensed a UK recording for US release. This was credited to the Silence (an early name used by UK mod group John's Children who for a brief time included Marc Bolan among their members). Although Red Bird boss George Goldner had agreed to put out a record by John's Children, under the name of the Silence, the 45 did not actually feature the group. Pierre Tubbs, of the Jeeps, had cut his two songs for the 45 on John's Children but he didn't like the results. So he recut them himself, with his group the Jeeps, and sent those tracks to Red Bird for the US 45 release. Around the same time, Pierre Tubbs was working with J J Jackson (by then the very recent ex-writing partner of Red Bird artist Sidney Barnes). J J in conjunction with the Jeeps would cut his song "But It's Alright" in Strike Records London studio. J J only cut "But It's Alright" himself after it had been rejected by a UK male group or singer he (J J) was working with (either the Pretty Things, David Essex or Miki Dallon). 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

You should flip 'Carefully Checked Your Heart' over for Bobby's version of 'Let's Prove Them Wrong' also done by Debbie Taylor. Do regret selling this one, but Debbie's version is quite cheap and easy to pick up.. First heard the Kay-O 45 via Ted Massey tape, I guess 87/88. 

Both versions are worthy of course 🙂  the Kay-O 45 has Jobete on the left there, not present on the GWP release, a stab at saying this might have been a Motown song that they were able to release outside the company? I don't know how that murky world works, but sure some on here do...

Mal.C. - SS Swap June 2009.jpg

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

10 hours ago, Mal C said:

Bobby's version of 'Let's Prove Them Wrong' ....    the Kay-O 45 has Jobete on the left there, not present on the GWP release, a stab at saying this might have been a Motown song that they were able to release outside the company? I don't know how that murky world works, but sure some on here do...

Mal.C. - SS Swap June 2009.jpg

Geoege Kerr (who co-wrote this song) was a Motown New York office staffer from 63 till the operation was closed down. Even after 64, lots of the songs other artists recorded were his efforts published by Jobete -- Among his Jobete published songs are tracks by the Chiffons, (63), Tamiko, Sparkels, Richard Simmons, Exotics (all 64) thru to those by Carl Hall, Linda Jones (65 releases). So I don't think there's anything 'iffy' about the Bobby Moore song being a Jobete effort.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!